Best Point and Shoot Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimman

Aug 27, 2004
I know it is difficult to say which is the best. I just want something that is fast in startup, fast and accurate in autofocus, and good colors from jpg without processing. Megapixels not important so long as it's more than 3 Mega pixel. Low light with low noise is a bonus, but not essential. Optical anti shake is an important feature, points are also given for multi focus points and accurate exposures 90% of the time.

So to summarize in order of priority for a point and shoot camera:
1) small enough to put into your jeans pocket
2) fast start up
3) fast and accurate auto focus
4) fast and accurate auto exposure
5) optical anti shake (IS feature)
6) good colors without processing
7) multi user selectable auto focus points
8) face recognition
9) good low light performance with little grain/noise
10) good quality 640x480 video

Can someone recommend a point and shoot camera that satisfies the above criteria (in the order of priority) ?

That's a fairly good, broad set with some leeway, and at least you accept limitations.

Any of the newest Canon, Sony, Fuji and, at a stretch, the Nikons will fit this.

The new Canon 870/860 are decent, as are the Sony S800 and W80

There can only be one.

Sigma DP-1.

Not available locally yet AFAIK and it has NO OPTICAL ZOOM, only a digital one. The sensor seems to be quite good, but we'll need to wait for a standardized review to really tell.

they have improved.

Yes, but only in their superzooms from what i can see. the compact cams still use the older technology.

I have the love the Canon G7 :lovegrin: just that it doesn't really qualify for criteria (1) unless you're for cargo pants.

another good camera (which i don't own, unfortunately) would be the Pana Lumix DMC LX2.

I have the love the Canon G7 :lovegrin: just that it doesn't really qualify for criteria (1) unless you're for cargo pants.

another good camera (which i don't own, unfortunately) would be the Pana Lumix DMC LX2.

Both the G7 and LX2 are great cams. I used to own a F40fd at the same time, but then sold it off because i like the Canon and Panasonic image better. The Fuji may have better ISO 800 performance, but i didnt like the color of the Fuji images (personal taste). Between the G7 and the LX2, the G7 has a lot more to functions, including 2 pre-sets which can be set by the user. It is much more of a photographer's compact. The LX2 is a great cam, its 16:9 is unique and even though it has less functions vs the G7, it still produces images that will amaze you. After all, it is the same camera that Panasonic builds for LEica (Leica D-Lux 3). You cant go wrong with either camera. For me, being used to DSLR image quality, I rather have good images anytime over good looks - "images captured well lasts forever":)

i think nothing can replace my F31fd

FujiPix F30 / F31FD is excellent in 6mp class for low light photography. But no 28mm wideangle though.

My friend recently bought a Lumix FX33 which I find is very good. Lumix FX100 and FX55 are both also good.

Sony t series fits perfectly. FX-55 and FX-33 are impressive although when u get to color Panasonic isn't the best. Ixus easy to use the video will probly meet ur wants. Powershot is way ro big to fit a jeans pocket...it might but it'll probly make a huge ball. state ur budget, it'll narrow things down....

sony cybershots are more features rather than performance. IQ sucks! :thumbsd:

used several cybershots since 2002 up to their smile detection blah blah... very awfull IQ.:thumbsd:

my premitive powershot A410 is way better.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know it is difficult to say which is the best. I just want something that is fast in startup, fast and accurate in autofocus, and good colors from jpg without processing. Megapixels not important so long as it's more than 3 Mega pixel. Low light with low noise is a bonus, but not essential. Optical anti shake is an important feature, points are also given for multi focus points and accurate exposures 90% of the time.

So to summarize in order of priority for a point and shoot camera:
1) small enough to put into your jeans pocket
2) fast start up
3) fast and accurate auto focus
4) fast and accurate auto exposure
5) optical anti shake (IS feature)
6) good colors without processing
7) multi user selectable auto focus points
8) face recognition
9) good low light performance with little grain/noise
10) good quality 640x480 video

Can someone recommend a point and shoot camera that satisfies the above criteria (in the order of priority) ?

I think fujifilm z5 fit your all the conditions except pt5 (IS feature).

Status
Not open for further replies.