Best pns in terms of image quality, response time, when budget is not a concern?

squall3d

Jan 13, 2009
N/A
I have a rich uncle looking for a pns, and budget's not a problem for him. What do you guys recommend? I personally used a sony (and I recommended him to get the latest in sony T series) but I haven't tried other brands so I'm not sure.

Those of you who have tried both canon and sony pns, any comments? And are there other brands I should consider?

I think his concern will be fast focusing, rich colors and low light photography.

micro 4/3 system would be it. Deceivingly small yet pack a lot of slr features within.

but might want to check on the Leica M9.

Last edited:
three alpha numeric - LX3

Ricoh GR Digital III :thumbsup:

Edit: If budget is a concern - get an used Ricoh GR Digital I or II... :)

Get the Leica X1.

Sensor: APS-C sensor

Body Material: Metal

Lens: Lieca Elmarit 24mm F2.8

Price: US$2,000

Lecia X1, Lecia d-lux 4, Panasonic LUMIX DMC LX3.

micro 4/3 system would be it. Deceivingly small yet pack a lot of slr features within.

but might want to check on the Leica M9.

buy sony NEX5

Are all micro 4/3 systems' lens interchangeable? He specifically told me he wants one that he dun have to worry abt lens haha. Also, he's nearly 60, I think he wouldn't want to lug around a M9, sorry for not including that in my initial post =p. thanks for the recommendations

hmm actually how much more heavier is a micro 4/3 compared to a pns?

yes, interchangeable, but doesn't mean you have to change it.

If money is no object the obvious choice is Leica... nevermind which model as long as it is Leica. This is an easy to solve problem.

Sony and Canon all use Sony sensors. ;)

For your uncle, I'd recommend the Sony H55 or HX5. Really great image quality for such a small cam.

Ricoh GR Digital III :thumbsup:

Edit: If budget is a concern - get an used Ricoh GR Digital I or II... :)

Wow i have to admit i've never heard of that brand. will go check it out. How does it compare to the Leica X1 and Panasonic LX3?

Get the Leica X1.

Sensor: APS-C sensor

Body Material: Metal

Lens: Lieca Elmarit 24mm F2.8

Price: US$2,000

:lovegrin: I'll probably get this for myself if I have $$ to spare. But how does it compare to Panasonic LX3 in terms of ease of use (for someone who does not want to play ard with settings)? And how much more does it weigh than a regular pns? (ok I just answered my own question, the X1 is 286g while a Sony TX5 is 144g for those who're interested).

Lecia X1, Lecia d-lux 4, Panasonic LUMIX DMC LX3.

Cool, both Leica X1 and Panasonic LX3 gets 2 votes. After looking at their specs at dpreview the LX3 seems to be more consumer friendly than the Leica X1. Am I right to say that? And there isn't a image stabilizer listed for X1, does that mean it doesn't have one?

ask your rich uncle to hire u take pics for him??

Unless one uses the full auto function, the term PNS has become a bit vague now with models that have AV/TV/M.

Unless one uses the full auto function, the term PNS has become a bit vague now with models that have AV/TV/M.

Hi Bro....

Here... most Non-DSLR cameras or 'Fix-Lens' type cameras are classed under PnS... even semi-pro camera like Canon G series for example. ;)

If $$$ is not an issue.... and die die want fix lens PnS, suggest Panasonic LX series or Canon G series. IF like some suggest, don't change lens.... then the Micro 4/3 series from both Panasonic or Olympus.

Last edited:
of course leica is the best choice if money is not of a concern...
i saw some of friends using the Canon G11, quality of the photograph is good and the camera is so handy. personally feel it's :thumbsup: and value for the money paid for

Hi Bro....

Here... most Non-DSLR cameras or 'Fix-Lens' type cameras are classed under PnS... even semi-pro camera like Canon G series for example. ;)

May be compact is a better term.

There are people (eg old aunties) who truely want PnS. That is uses only 3 buttons mainly, power, zoom and shuttle.:D

Last edited:
That is uses only 3 buttons mainly, power, zoom and shuttle.:D

You mean shutter? I have an image in my mind of old aunties calling a shuttle bus with a push of a button...

You mean shutter? I have an image in my mind of old aunties calling a shuttle bus with a push of a button...

Paiseh. Thks for the correction.:)