Best places to buy tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickykoh1983

Aug 13, 2006
Bukit Batok area
Hi. I am a newbie in here, so hope that we can interact more with one another regarding photography. I just need to ask where are the best places to buy good tripods? And what brand of tripods are good in the market right now?

rickykoh1983 said:
Hi. I am a newbie in here, so hope that we can interact more with one another regarding photography. I just need to ask where are the best places to buy good tripods? And what brand of tripods are good in the market right now?

The question u've ask is so broad..there are many brands for tripods..the price ranges from $30~$1k..u have to at least know ur budget, the spec u r looking for like (the weight capability, min. & max. height)..

cathay is a good place to choose from, and ya u need to noe ur budget and the weight etc bef buying

Yeah, Cathay is a good place to go. Weigh you needs and budget to get a suitable one lor.

Budget? Weight? Min. and max. height? Any preferred brand? Use?

Need these information to recommend more... :)

ok. Thanks a lot for the advice. If let's say I'm looking for a tripod with a budget of around $200++ and for Canon Powershot S2 IS, any advices?

rickykoh1983 said:
ok. Thanks a lot for the advice. If let's say I'm looking for a tripod with a budget of around $200++ and for Canon Powershot S2 IS, any advices?

For ur camera model can consider the slik tripods..a few models to choose from at CP. My recommendation is the slik sprint pro ~$90..

Thanks. But is there any specific or well-known brands that I need to consider? Let's say I need it to bring around. Any good advices?

P.S. Sorry for my ignorance. What does CP stand for?

rickykoh1983 said:
Thanks. But is there any specific or well-known brands that I need to consider? Let's say I need it to bring around. Any good advices?

P.S. Sorry for my ignorance. What does CP stand for?

Cathay Photo.

Best Known brand? Probably Gitzo. Be prepared to pay a premium for those CF ones.:)

Hi there,

Another alternative you can try is TK Foto at Beach Road, Shaw Centre, Level 2.

Anyway, some of the well-known brands for tripod are Manfrotto, Slik, Giotto and Gitzo. For the Gitzo CF (Carbon Fiber) Series, it can easily cost up till $700+.

rickykoh1983 said:
yes like what blazer have said, slik sprint pro is probably good enough for S2. and it is super duper light as well 800g+, price wise i believe is <$90... i got it 1/2 yr ago at $90 but it comes with a lowepro memory card pouch, super mini lenspen and a useless lowepro PDA pouch. :thumbsup:

juz step into any workplace.. sure alot of 'tripods' hahaha... i cant help it ..sorry

u can look for jack006.. he's selling benro.. looks like gitzo.. can get the CF type.. weight wise, the CF is light.. i've no complaints watsoever.. good stuff.. :thumbsup:

or i sell u mine, i go get a gitzo? hahah.. :think:

Thanks. So actually, what is the best brands that I should consider in the market?

Anyway, some of the well-known brands for tripod are Manfrotto, Slik, Giotto and Gitzo. For the Gitzo CF (Carbon Fiber) Series, it can easily cost up till $700+.

this is ur answer.

rickykoh1983 said:
Thanks. So actually, what is the best brands that I should consider in the market?

to me i think when it comes to buying a tripod the brand isn't so important..
Points to consider:

1.) Weight capability
2.) Min. & Max. Working Height (w/ center column down)
3.) Ease of use (quick release legs/turning knobs legs/quick release pates for camera)
4.) Preference of use (ball head/pan head)
5.) Tripod Weight (do u bring ur tripod for travelling)
6.) frequency of use

the 6 pointers above will definitely outweigh the brand..

in order to help u further in deciding..let me elaborate a little bit more..
base on point 1 - do u intend to get a DSLR soon..if yes, get one with better weight capability, no harm getting a over power tripod tat is more stronger and more steady than for ur camera..

base on point 2 - how tall are u? what is the comfortable working height? how low do u intend to setup?

base on point 3 & 4 - are u a bird shooter? or insect shooter? if yes, then the speed to deploy ur tripod is quite important..hence can go for those quick release legs using clips ones..decide on what u often shoot, and pick ur choice of heads..

base on point 5 - do u intend to carry the tripod overseas for shooting..if yes, then some of the carbon fiber series must be considered..'cos they are lighter to carry around..

base on point 6 - if u r going to have it just for shooting fireworks every year..then just go to Carrefoure and get those $30~$50 range ones..they do serve well..

there are a few common brands around in Singapore..like Slik, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giotto, Benro, Feisol, Digipod, PPCP, and a few more less well known or too expensive for me to know..

rickykoh1983 said:
my favourite place is Buy&Sell right here in CS :D a few months old tripod can costs up to $100 less compared to a new one and it looks like new!

But only try the B&S if you're not in a hurry to get one.

blazer_workz said:
there are a few common brands around in Singapore..like Slik, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giotto, Benro, Feisol, Digipod, PPCP, and a few more less well known or too expensive for me to know..

MAMIYA...:) :devil:

blazer_workz said:
to me i think when it comes to buying a tripod the brand isn't so important..
Points to consider:

1.) Weight capability
2.) Min. & Max. Working Height (w/ center column down)
3.) Ease of use (quick release legs/turning knobs legs/quick release pates for camera)
4.) Preference of use (ball head/pan head)
5.) Tripod Weight (do u bring ur tripod for travelling)
6.) frequency of use

the 6 pointers above will definitely outweigh the brand..

in order to help u further in deciding..let me elaborate a little bit more..
base on point 1 - do u intend to get a DSLR soon..if yes, get one with better weight capability, no harm getting a over power tripod tat is more stronger and more steady than for ur camera..

base on point 2 - how tall are u? what is the comfortable working height? how low do u intend to setup?

base on point 3 & 4 - are u a bird shooter? or insect shooter? if yes, then the speed to deploy ur tripod is quite important..hence can go for those quick release legs using clips ones..decide on what u often shoot, and pick ur choice of heads..

base on point 5 - do u intend to carry the tripod overseas for shooting..if yes, then some of the carbon fiber series must be considered..'cos they are lighter to carry around..

base on point 6 - if u r going to have it just for shooting fireworks every year..then just go to Carrefoure and get those $30~$50 range ones..they do serve well..

Thank you so much for your advice. Think I can understand now what to consider for when buying a tripod.

compro_1975 said:
cathay is a good place to choose from, and ya u need to noe ur budget and the weight etc bef buying

Sori to disagree wif you guys, cathay is a good place to VIEW the tripod.

Its like, best denki is a good place to browse for electronic stuff but you can get cheaper elsewhere like Sweetson.

Do look around the shops, dun fix your mindset in thinking CP, AP, MS , Lords are the cheapest in town. Fix ur focus on a particular model and walk around bargain the prices.
Cathay do markup their prices alot nowadays.

I think manfrotto and gitzo are pretty decent, and especially for the CF series. I'm currently using the Gitzo CF, and I bought it in HK quite cheap. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.