Best place to buy Voigtlander lenses in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Dear Leica and Voightlander guru,

My good friend has just assured himself a lifetime of poverty through his purchase of a Leica M4-P. (I'm jealous :( )

Now he's looking around for lenses, and he's looking for Voightlander lenses in M-mount, specifically the 35mm Nokton f/1.2 and 50mm f/1.7 lenses. He wants to know where is the best place to buy them in Singapore?

Secondly, he wants to ask if anyone here have used them before, and how do they compare to the Leica 35mm Asph and 50mm Summicrons.

Sigh... another Leica fanatic is born? :dunno:

buy them online or from mister wong in chinatown. I don't think there's a 50mm f1.7 though. i think its a 1.5.

On the 2nd point, leica lenses tend to have more pastel colors. It might appeal to some ppl, but i personally prefer the VC lenses becos they appear to give me sharper and more saturated colors. Very contrasty too. I might be mistaken, so this is just my 2c worth. I own the 50 lux and 35 cron as well as the VC 35mm,50mm,12mm&90mm

Hi SzeKiat,

Where do I find Mr. Wong in Chinatown? Is it at ChinaTown Point?

Also, what do you think of Anthony's Collection at level 2 of Peninsular Plaza? He seems to have a lot of Voightlander stuff...

anthony drives a hard bargain. If u buy everything in a package from him, u might get a better deal. note that he is no longer a certified sales agent for VC stuff though. He has some rather interesting stuff that Mr Wong might not have.

Hi AJ and SzeKiat,

Thanks for the info! Dropped by Anthony's Collection today, and checked out the prices of the 28mm f/1.7 and 50mm f/1.7. The 35mm f/1.2 more than double the price of the 28mm f/1.7, so wondering if it's worth paying so much extra... :dunno:

Will check out Mr. Wong at Lucky Chinatown tomorrow first... :)

Do note that the 35 f1.2 is officially the fastest 35mm lens around. Incidentally, if u're looking into getting used stuff, do give me a call. I think i want to trim down my kit.

Neo said:
Hi AJ and SzeKiat,

Thanks for the info! Dropped by Anthony's Collection today, and checked out the prices of the 28mm f/1.7 and 50mm f/1.7. The 35mm f/1.2 more than double the price of the 28mm f/1.7, so wondering if it's worth paying so much extra... :dunno:

Will check out Mr. Wong at Lucky Chinatown tomorrow first... :)

Heard that Anthony has moved. Does anyone know where he is located now?

i understand that he's moved to the 7th floor of the same building. Where exactly, i have no idea as i have yet to have time to look him up

i find his prices are on the high side..perhaps Ebay is a better place if u dun mind used lens.

Mr. Wong said that chrome Voightlander lenses will wear better, as the black paint on the black versions tend to rub off quickly. Just a tip if you're looking for second-hand lenses on eBay...

they do. Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a chrome 12mm, feel free to call me at 90698948.

I am a Voigtlander user and I own 3 Bessa R2, the whole range of Voigtlander 35mm lenses (except the 35mm/1.2) and the 75mm/2.5 Color Heliar. I also own quite alot of Voigtlander accessories such as the triggerwonder, side grip, B grip and Voigtlander strap. I bought most of my Voigtlander stuff from Dr. Joseph Yao from Hong Kong and for the best service and price he is the top contender in this region. You could reach him at joseph@yao.com. Alternatively you could also take a look at www.cameraquest.com as Mr. Gandy has the largest Voigtlander inventory in the USA. As for the optical quality of Voigtlander lenses, you could take a look at a couple of my photos at www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat:500&ppuser=132 I do hope the information is useful. :)

The prices at CameraQuest are not completely unreasonable either , even with the shipping.

The leica lenses, even the old ones... do have more pastel colours. yup, its a preference thing.... or a case of different tools for different purposes.

Has anyone ever dealt with Mainline photo, http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/
Figured since its in Sydney, at least shipping should be cheaper compared to Cameraquest. Prices seem similar to Cameraquest (taking into account conversion rates).

I was at Camera electronic Sales in Perth, Aus a few weeks back. They said the Aussie distributor of voigtlander was having a clearance. But even at the clearance price, it was about S$550 for a new Bessa-R. Not much diff buying from cameraquest.

I bought some stuff in HK last year. I didn't find it significantly cheaper compared to cameraquest. Comparable, I'd say. Worth the effort if you're there but not worth ordering.

Hi all,

anybody knows where can I get the thread mount adaptor so I can use Bessa R's lenses on R2?

Approached Anthony before. He told me he hasn't got any.

TIA

helium said:
Hi all,

anybody knows where can I get the thread mount adaptor so I can use Bessa R's lenses on R2?

Approached Anthony before. He told me he hasn't got any.

TIA

Try Ron Camera. He got plently of Leica and rangefinder supplies.

the bessa cameras/lenses are not RF-coupled (what I mean is, the lens and VF are not parallax corrected by the adapter? That's what I was told)... so any LTM/M-mt adapter will probably do ... including the leica-made ones and the off-brand Japanese ones. Some of the leica ones are marked for 90mm or 35mm e.g. but this would not matter if you're using it for bessa. that's my understanding.

Keltzar said:
the bessa cameras/lenses are not RF-coupled (what I mean is, the lens and VF are not parallax corrected by the adapter? That's what I was told)... so any LTM/M-mt adapter will probably do ... including the leica-made ones and the off-brand Japanese ones. Some of the leica ones are marked for 90mm or 35mm e.g. but this would not matter if you're using it for bessa. that's my understanding.

Yes, I agree with you. Bessa model does not have automatic frame-lines selector (like the Leica M-series did) and they have a frame-line selector on the top-plate. So it does not matter what focus length's frame-line you are using when it is mounted onto a Bessa, just select the frame-line selector manually on the top-plate of a Bessa, magic!!! :lovegrin:
;
The below pics shows Leica and Bessa frame-line selector :-

Bessa
7845Bessa-med.jpg

Leica
7845M4_Winograd_1-med.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.