Best place to buy ND/GND filters

rainfyre

Aug 28, 2006
Hihi,

Just wondering where do you all buy your nd/gnd filters from? If online, what sites? overseas? or shops in Singapore? Shops in Singapore don't seem to have much stock.

Bought a Hitec and was using it over the weekend. Unfortunately I dropped it into the water...cleanning it has been rather frustrating, marks are still there. I dont wanna rub too hard either less I scratch it. There is already a scratch at one side. Arrgghh...:cry:

I know filters come in many different prices. Is it worth paying for the expensive ones like Lee/SinghRay?

Any info would be good. Thanks!

The forum is full of offerings and write-ups. Help yourself please.

Where to buy really depends on which types and brands of filters.

For Hitech filters only TK and maybe OP sells them.

As for worth of Lee and Singhray filters, really depends on the individuals. Also depends on the type of filters.

Also marks on the filter usually do not show up in the pictures.

Last edited:
Thanks daredevil123 :)

as to this:
The forum is full of offerings and write-ups. Help yourself please.
May I ask in what way is your post helpful to this thread? Yea if my question happened to piss u off cos it has been repeated during the course of your 6000 over posts, by all means pass it over and simply go to the next thread. I am already helping myself by asking a question politely.

I actually did a search using filter/gnd filter/nd filter before posting this thread. If you do a search, u would realise most results are from the wtsell/wtbuy section. I had already read daredevil's sticky on newbies section guide to filters. Oh and another thread 'All about filters' posted a month ago. Go further back there is also a thread on 'Reducing Vignetting on UWA on Colkin Filter Holder'. As you can see, such useful threads are far and between. This isnt the first time I read about someone posting, google it or search or something sarcastic somewhere along those lines. Seriously, are you all too free or what? It obviously irritates you that ppl are asking similar questions....so isnt it faster to close the thread, move on to the next more interesting post to you instead of spending the time to make a useless reply. At the very least if you want to scold someone, give a link beforehand, make your post valid. I see Daredevil replying in the few filter threads going around...thankfully there are still helpful ppl around. Else I see no reason for this forum to function anymore as most questions regarding photography would have been asked at one point or another throughout the years...just have a search function to all old posts ;)

I always bought mine from Visiontechinc aka Vincent. You can find him at Mass Sales. Good service and price.

rainfyre said:

as to this:
May I ask in what way is your post helpful to this thread? Yea if my question happened to piss u off cos it has been repeated during the course of your 6000 over posts, by all means pass it over and simply go to the next thread. I am already helping myself by asking a question politely.

I actually did a search using filter/gnd filter/nd filter before posting this thread. If you do a search, u would realise most results are from the wtsell/wtbuy section. I had already read daredevil's sticky on newbies section guide to filters. Oh and another thread 'All about filters' posted a month ago. Go further back there is also a thread on 'Reducing Vignetting on UWA on Colkin Filter Holder'. As you can see, such useful threads are far and between. This isnt the first time I read about someone posting, google it or search or something sarcastic somewhere along those lines. Seriously, are you all too free or what? It obviously irritates you that ppl are asking similar questions....so isnt it faster to close the thread, move on to the next more interesting post to you instead of spending the time to make a useless reply. At the very least if you want to scold someone, give a link beforehand, make your post valid. I see Daredevil replying in the few filter threads going around...thankfully there are still helpful ppl around. Else I see no reason for this forum to function anymore as most questions regarding photography would have been asked at one point or another throughout the years...just have a search function to all old posts ;)

Relax dude. Take it easy. If you know you did your part, then you don't have to be affected by it.

As for the other bro, maybe he misread your query which is more specific in nature actually. It is easy to miss that if reading too fast. I have seen octarine post very helpful information as well. I think he did not mean it that way if he got the gist of your question.

Just move on. No need to get worked up. We all need a lil leeway sometimes. I also have my fair share of moody days as well and at times the choice words coming out of my fingers do not sound too friendly as well.

So just give and take a little. If you feel some posts are not helpful, then just ignore.

Cheers.

Last edited:
@@ I just bought a Hitec ND filter

CS Mass Sales. Many options. Price cheaper than shops

Personally I wont bother on water marks and scratches on filters

Mass sales seem to mostly have Tianya... I have a friend who swears Hitech is wayy better than Tianya... does anyone who have both have any comments on the real world differences?

Mass sales seem to mostly have Tianya... I have a friend who swears Hitech is wayy better than Tianya... does anyone who have both have any comments on the real world differences?

Yes, Hitech is way better than Tianya. Tianya gives heavy color casts while GND and ND from Hitech up to 3 stops exhibit no significant color casts at all even when stacked.

Locally, I get them at TK Foto in Funan or at Cathay Photo in Peninsula Plaza. The latter has more choices.

Online site in UK: I usually get them from http://teamworkphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78&zenid=74jj4o0rm8846722rl8bjoad76

Well you can buy the Singhray ones through their website and also from BHphotovideo.

I guess at this point you may just want to stick with the Hitech filters first until you become proficient in using them. The Singhray or Lee filters are very expensive. And mind you they too get scratched.

CP

Hihi,

Just wondering where do you all buy your nd/gnd filters from? If online, what sites? overseas? or shops in Singapore? Shops in Singapore don't seem to have much stock.

Bought a Hitec and was using it over the weekend. Unfortunately I dropped it into the water...cleanning it has been rather frustrating, marks are still there. I dont wanna rub too hard either less I scratch it. There is already a scratch at one side. Arrgghh...:cry:

I know filters come in many different prices. Is it worth paying for the expensive ones like Lee/SinghRay?

Any info would be good. Thanks!

Hihi,

thanks for all the replies.

btw is really ok to ignore the watermarks? I found some marks on the photos taken which was only present when I used the filter and absent when filter was off. Will check it out again.

Yes will be sticking to the Hitech or Colkin filters for now. Managed to remove the colour cast...well slightly so am a happy camper for now :) I think my heart would just drop had I an expensive filter and it dropped into the water!

Also is it true vignetting is partially caused by stacking cheap filters? My holder can only hold one filter, so cant try that out.

Thanks again!

Hihi,

thanks for all the replies.

btw is really ok to ignore the watermarks? I found some marks on the photos taken which was only present when I used the filter and absent when filter was off. Will check it out again.

Yes will be sticking to the Hitech or Colkin filters for now. Managed to remove the colour cast...well slightly so am a happy camper for now :) I think my heart would just drop had I an expensive filter and it dropped into the water!

Also is it true vignetting is partially caused by stacking cheap filters? My holder can only hold one filter, so cant try that out.

Thanks again!

If you are using hitech and Cokin filters together, I am guessing you are using the 85mm ones. With 85mm P series holder, even with the wide angle holder from cokin (single slot), it causes vignette at aroudn 11 to 11.5mm on a Tokina 11-16mm on a APS-C camera. The way to avoid vignette is to go for larger filters (100mm wide). And no, cheap filters do not cause vignetting.

Anyway, I do not think watermarks should show up in your pictures. But filters can be easily cleaned, Just run it under tap water and clean the filter with a piece of microfiber cloth.

rainfyre said:

as to this:

Bro.. Relax.. Tis kind of ppl is all ard the world.. Just tt clubsnap happen to have one... Tt how he have 6000+post.. Not sure the moderators can do something abt it... He is not being helpful to the committee at all and fustrating ppl...