Best photo ops in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culés

Deregistered
Aug 24, 2006
I will be in Singapore for 3 days (friday to sunday) to buy some gear (I am a tourist), of course I would like to take as many great pics as possible during that time; given the limited time, what are the best places for taking photos of landscape, night, birds, interesting places etc? What about the drive to KL is it interestng?

Culés said:
I will be in Singapore for 3 days (friday to sunday) to buy some gear (I am a tourist), of course I would like to take as many great pics as possible during that time; given the limited time, what are the best places for taking photos of landscape, night, birds, interesting places etc? What about the drive to KL is it interestng?

welcome to singapore. check this out. this is the official tourism website of singapore.

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/index.html

Culés said:

Howdy~~~ For birds, try Mandai Orchid Gardens. Lovely sunbirds to be found there. Go in the morning... Entrance fee should be rather cheap. For nite, I am not veri sure. For landscape, i guess you can try out Fullerton area and Esplanade at nite. Lovely scenic view. Landscape, I saw a few of the pics taken at Punggol, but not veri sure of the route...

:D

Culés (je suis mort de rire),

If you need any specific info, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Loupisk

Thanks a bunch :)

Just need a bit of your advise: I searched for 'esplanade' on google and found it is a theatre area, does this mean the surrounding area is good for night photography?

How would you rate the following places I found on the web as photo opportunities (for birds, flower as well as nice landscapes) :

Jurong Bird Park
Night Safari (enough light to take pics without a flash, do they allow photography here?)
Singapore zoo (different from night safari, right?)
Raffles Hotel area (esplanade?)
Ducktour
Chinatown
Singapore Botanic Gardens

Given that I will be only in Sigapore for 3 days, and about 1 day will go for buying gear, the places where I can take more pics in less time is ideal. I can see that I will have time in the nights and not much to do, so please suggest any nice night photo locations you know ;)

Will of course put up the best pics on this site and we can all have a good laugh :bsmilie:

yllew said:
Howdy~~~ For birds, try Mandai Orchid Gardens. Lovely sunbirds to be found there. Go in the morning... Entrance fee should be rather cheap. For nite, I am not veri sure. For landscape, i guess you can try out Fullerton area and Esplanade at nite. Lovely scenic view. Landscape, I saw a few of the pics taken at Punggol, but not veri sure of the route...

:D

My fave photos are night photos so if you can think of anywhere I can do that, would be great:D

Loupisk said:
Culés (je suis mort de rire),

If you need any specific info, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Loupisk

Thanks a bunch :)

Just need a bit of your advise: I searched for 'esplanade' on google and found it is a theatre area, does this mean the surrounding area is good for night photography?

How would you rate the following places I found on the web as photo opportunities (for birds, flower as well as nice landscapes) :

Jurong Bird Park
Night Safari (enough light to take pics without a flash, do they allow photography here?)
Singapore zoo (different from night safari, right?)
Raffles Hotel area (esplanade?)
Ducktour
Chinatown
Singapore Botanic Gardens

Given that I will be only in Sigapore for 3 days, and about 1 day will go for buying gear, the places where I can take more pics in less time is ideal. I can see that I will have time in the nights and not much to do, so please suggest any nice night photo locations you know ;)

Will of course put up the best pics on this site and we can all have a good laugh :bsmilie:

Jurong Bird Park > at least better than shooting 90% sunbird from botanic garden
Night Safari (enough light to take pics without a flash, do they allow photography here?) > iirc flash not recommanded, photography is allowed but extremely hard unless you wanna bring a tripod. (my guess is even @ ISO 1600 + f2.8 lens ur shutter will be lower than 1/30.)
Singapore zoo (different from night safari, right?) > more or less the same, but got more animals and easier to shoot
Raffles Hotel area (esplanade?) > good place for tourist since it got the most special buildings around that area like suntec and esplanade(durian)
Ducktour > not very sure
Chinatown > good if you wanna shoot some shophouses
Singapore Botanic Gardens > if you wanna have a collection of orchids varity/bugs/sunbird/swan/duck/grass/tree...etc

and do remember to bring a tripod if you going to city area around esplanade. its a good place for night landscape shoot as well.

welcome to singapore :)

- for animals, going to the zoo in the day is the better bet. the night safari is too dark. but as a tourist attraction, it's still worth visiting, quite unique.
- at the jurong bird park, check out the bird shows, great chance to catch birds of prey in flight
- the botanic gardens and mandai orchid gardens are great for flowers, and will also have a nice variety of bird and insect life
- the city area around the esplanade is good for night landscapes with a tripod. besides the esplanade, there's also the city skyline, the merlion, supreme court, etc (you can also do lots of your gear shopping in this area in the day, many of the big/reputable shops are here)
- chinatown and little india are full of colour and activity at night. great for street shooting, and also for sampling some good local food

Welcome to Singapore pal. Just to inform you that with the IMF going on, the security is very, very tight and i heard that no photography is allowed near hotels and around the Suntec City area. So i'm not sure if you can take pictures around the Fullerton area. I heard from my colleague that she heard a policeman told a lady the other day not to take pictures of the flowers which were opposite the Suntec City area and to come back after the IMF if she wants. :dunno:

Galdor said:
Welcome to Singapore pal. Just to inform you that with the IMF going on, the security is very, very tight and i heard that no photography is allowed near hotels and around the Suntec City area. So i'm not sure if you can take pictures around the Fullerton area. I heard from my colleague that she heard a policeman told a lady the other day not to take pictures of the flowers which were opposite the Suntec City area and to come back after the IMF if she wants. :dunno:

WAT?! This is juz so stupid... Taking a flower will cause a secruity breach at IMF? Huh~~~!! But please do visit some of the places mention. Especially if you need to purchase some of your gears, you can pay a visit to Peninsula Plaza. After that you can proceed to the back of the building for a view of one of the oldest Fire Station in SGP. Then you can proceed to Fort Canning to view some of the WWII sites. Then that should keep you rather occupied till evening where you can drop by to Clarke Quay for some nice river nite shoot as well as some pretty nice dinner.

After your dinner, you can walk towards Boat Quay and shoot again. Please stick to the left bank (When you are walking towards Fullerton Hotel) and capture the opp bank for one of the most crowded nite life you can find in SGP.As you walk along the bank, you can capture Fullerton. I am not sure whether they will ban you from taking any fotos inside Fullerton. If yes, proceed on towards Fullerton One, near the Merlion which is a must to take in SGP. At the Merlion, you will be able to spot Esplanade. I think this one day will make you flat~~~:bsmilie:

Hope yer can take tons and tons of wonderful fotos~~~:D

Culés said:

My fave photos are night photos so if you can think of anywhere I can do that, would be great:D
Hi Culés,
Welcome to singapore, hope you enjoy your stay here.

If you intend to visit Night Safari and Zoo on the same day, best visit Zoo in the late afternoon, you may take lots of photos there, after zoo close, just walk over to Night Safari have your dinner there and can pay a visit there, is a unique expericne to see animals at night, but no flash photography. you may want to buy combin ticket for great saving, if you want to bird park, zoo and night safari together during your trip to singapore.

as for the night photos, please viste the night photography night sub forum, find out where would you like to have you there.

Hope these help.

yllew said:
WAT?! This is juz so stupid... Taking a flower will cause a secruity breach at IMF? Huh~~~!!

Sigh, they even fenced up the Memorial opposite the former NCO Club. And every hotel in theat area has a security (police team) at every entrance and they stop people from going in if they are not residents there. They'll scan all your belongings before allowing you into the hotel even if you are there for a dinner or drink. :angry:

Galdor said:
Sigh, they even fenced up the Memorial opposite the former NCO Club. And every hotel in theat area has a security (police team) at every entrance and they stop people from going in if they are not residents there. They'll scan all your belongings before allowing you into the hotel even if you are there for a dinner or drink. :angry:

Well, I guess we can't blame them. But is Merlion affected? I dun wan Culés to be disappointed... Come over to SGP and never take the mystical creature statue... That will be veri wasted!;:)

Thanks a lot guys, I took your advise and visited as many places as I could, sadly not all the places I wanted, I was really sorry to miss out on the botanical gardens, I only had sunday free and even then had a late start, but did manage to cover the Juron bird park, amazing place, I couldn't drag myself away from it :) The shows are nice but the pictures are not so 'natural', for me shooting the birds up in the trees or feeding was best, I will get some pics uploaded soon. I had just bought my D80+ 18-200VR when I went to the bird park, but the cam+lens just felt so good in my hand ;) the pics are good but some I wish I'd shot differently, but hey, it was the first time for me. Hope to come to Singapore again soon to do more exhaustive shooting!

Welcome to Singapore... Hope u enjoyed your stay... Anyway, hope u got your equipment at reasonable price... ;)

unless you have a F1.2 lens, or a really good image stabilised F2.8, i wouldnt really bother with night safari as far as photography is concerned.

also, even if can expose properly, getting focus lock can be very tricky.

for a photg coming here... would recommend street photog - geylang, chinatown, little india.

skyline/ esplanade, at night. we've all seen it, but im sure your friends probably havent. architecturally, there are some intersting buildings too.

botanic, day zoo, sungei buloh for nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.