Best photo editing software

teeteng

Mar 22, 2009
Dear clubsnappers...I understand that adobe itself has different editing software like photoshop and Lightroom. I am not a pro and do not earn a living from it. Just hobbyist who would like to do layering where I can include different shots of my daughter in a single photo but at the same time, trying out time lapsing. I have read up, for time lapse Lightroom is ideal as I can sync multiple photos to have the same adjustment settings. The down side is it does not seemed to provide the editing tools for me to do layering. Please provide your constructive advise. Thank you

Lightroom does not allow you to do the kind of layering you want.... It's not meant to be a collage creator or similar. If you want to make those, you will have to look into softwares like GIMP (Gimp is free) or Photoshop.

Lightroom is for very quick touch up of your photo, such as white balance, basic adjustment, color correction, noise
reduction, spot removal, teeth whitening, cropping etc.
You have to use photoshop for those intensive editing. one thing to note though, you could open photo in
lightroom & edit it in photoshop.

Well, they do have perfect layer 2 for free at the same site - Not sure what's the difference between the free and purchased edition...

There are a lot restrictions in the free trial version.

catchlights said:
you can do layering with Lightroom, and you need to purchase a plug in.

Perfect Layers 2 - onOne Software

Seems like either way...i need to purchase two different softwares. I tried to download gimp into my Mac but I have trouble opening it. Does gimp allow for layering?

catchlights said:
you can consider photoshop element. not free, but very affordable.

Yup...element is the one I'm considering but that going for $145 member price at challenger. I guess lightroom shd be way over $200.

Yup...element is the one I'm considering but that going for $145 member price at challenger. I guess lightroom shd be way over $200.
just buy online, you don't need the box and CD, don't waste money on this.

you only need to register the products with adobe, any update is all automatic,
if you change your computer, just go to adobe site to download the version you have the licence to it.

GIMP is good and free. I am using it on my ubuntu. Using GIMP in non-linux environments might require a KDE-environment (something like how Java can only run in Java Runtime).

Check GIMP for Mac and see if the environment is missing or has to be configured, etc. (I am strictly not an apple user hence do not know how it works for you.)

Shizuma said:
GIMP is good and free. I am using it on my ubuntu. Using GIMP in non-linux environments might require a KDE-environment (something like how Java can only run in Java Runtime).

Check GIMP for Mac and see if the environment is missing or has to be configured, etc. (I am strictly not an apple user hence do not know how it works for you.)

Thank you...will try again but din notice any detailed instruction for installing on Mac.

catchlights said:
just buy online, you don't need the box and CD, don't waste money on this.

you only need to register the products with adobe, any update is all automatic,
if you change your computer, just go to adobe site to download the version you have the licence to it.

The online purchase is in USD so seemed to work out to be the same amount after conversion.

I generally use the photography editing software PhotoStudio . I have GIMP, but it is totally unnecessary for what I do with pictures (plus I don't really understand what all the stuff does). PS is complicated for me :( PhotoStudio has friendly user interface, very easy to use and much like photoshop but its not as good. Here is the article introduce the PhotoStudio

Trying GIMP out now, after reading all the comments. :)

Value = utility/price.
if price = 0;
Value = OO (infinity).

Hence GIMP is infinitely valuable whereas Photoshop and Lightroom are only worth a few hundred bucks max. :D

I generally use the photography editing software PhotoStudio . I have GIMP, but it is totally unnecessary for what I do with pictures (plus I don't really understand what all the stuff does). PS is complicated for me :( PhotoStudio has friendly user interface, very easy to use and much like photoshop but its not as good. Here is the article introduce the PhotoStudio

if you use Ubuntu, you can run Shotwell photo manager, it will import / export images from camera for you , can even get images auto-enhanced (quite sophistiCATed also), and quickest auto-improve ever.

gimp will soon be very powerful, i have been following its development.. they lack funds and people to help them, hence progress is very very slow..

so if you have time to spare and know C language, pls help them..

i am waiting for gimp to support 16bit, 32 bit.. it is already supported in its development versions now.. just not ready for release versions..

also waiting for it to support adjustment layers... it will replace PS for my usage..

it is indeed a great software ignore by the mass