Best Orh Lua in Singapore or Malaysia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the food that he recommends really CMI. Stopped being a reliable source of eating spots for me after a few bad meals

Thanks for the tip. I am always wary about sites which stretch their evaluation too far. That's why I always ask around to get a more balanced view. :)

Last edited:
Hey I didn't know you're into great food too. I guess once you tasted the best, it's goodbye with the rest... :bsmilie:

ps. I kept quite some stuff in the house too, till my wife complains who's the woman in the house! :confused:

:thumbsup:

thats y i try to cook as much as possible from scratch.......

it doesn't help that there isn't much raw ingredients available here...but i make do with what i can get and what i remember from those years....

very simple things like "dried shrimps" also have a certain quality grading...... and let alone chillis...

so for any Singaporean/M'sian who will be outbound, the first thing we do will be to look for chilli sauce bottles.....but unfortunately, i take a crazy passion in re-creating every meal including the sauce.....from scratch......:sweat: not easy...but ultra satisfying....

hehehe, i brought some calamansi from the my grandma's lime pot, some Bentong ginger, some Thai bird eye chillis back here and planted them!!!! Now my window sill is home to 6 pots of chilli sapplings, 1 pot of 8 sprouts of the calamansi limes and well, the bentong ginger is growing leaves....but i hope they develope more roots too......:confused:

The market apparently like paying high prices for loads of air, chemicals, water and some flour. :bsmilie:

I can never understand why people could tolerate eating sub-standard when they have a choice to go for the best. Compared to other things in life, great food doesn't cost exponentially higher than the average and there is a difference between 'good' and GREAT food. :bsmilie:

For eg, bread-tok. Do you think their bread is superior? It probably has alot of food science in the dough to create the desired bread texture and shelf life without turning hard or mouldy. When i eat such bread, I am eating chemicals. I taste them actually!
Good old natural foods can be a chore to make. That is why these are diminishing over time.

Have you noticed that the eggs we buy from supermarkets do not taste as good as before?

There is some kind of weird smell when it is fried. I can't explain it but it doesn't taste as good now. These eggs are laid by chickens that are locked up in small cages in modern factories and are fed with anti-biotic regularly; Who knows, maybe some kind of chemical food as well.

The fragrant aroma & sweetness of a fried kampong chicken's egg is lost forever; also from a plate of Char Kwaytiao. Unless you can still get eggs from kampong chickens . :cry:

NOwadays, I don't really like to eat fried eggs, as I did in the past. The smell and taste is terrible.

Last edited:
Have you noticed that the eggs we buy from supermarkets do not taste as good as before?

There is some kind of weird smell when it is fried. I can't explain it but it doesn't taste as good now. These eggs are laid by chickens that are locked up in small cages in modern factories and are fed with anti-biotic regularly; Who knows, maybe some kind of chemical food as well.

The fragrant aroma & sweetness of a fried kampong chicken's egg is lost forever; also from a plate of Char Kwaytiao. Unless you can still get eggs from kampong chickens . :cry:

NOwadays, I don't really like to eat fried eggs, as I did in the past. The smell and taste is terrible.

Fully agreed. Those who never ate a kampong chicken egg will never understand what is a real and fresh egg. Haha :bsmilie:

B Batok.. fatty Weng one is quite good... but must fried by himself one.. his workers all CMI... If i see him at the stall will order a pack usually...

:thumbsup:

thats y i try to cook as much as possible from scratch.......

it doesn't help that there isn't much raw ingredients available here...but i make do with what i can get and what i remember from those years....

very simple things like "dried shrimps" also have a certain quality grading...... and let alone chillis...

so for any Singaporean/M'sian who will be outbound, the first thing we do will be to look for chilli sauce bottles.....but unfortunately, i take a crazy passion in re-creating every meal including the sauce.....from scratch......:sweat: not easy...but ultra satisfying....

hehehe, i brought some calamansi from the my grandma's lime pot, some Bentong ginger, some Thai bird eye chillis back here and planted them!!!! Now my window sill is home to 6 pots of chilli sapplings, 1 pot of 8 sprouts of the calamansi limes and well, the bentong ginger is growing leaves....but i hope they develope more roots too......:confused:

In Chinese cooking, the quality/control of flame, the pot/wok, the grade of oil/sauces and freshness of ingredients play a role. The magic potion is usually the shang tang (stock). Lard, sugar & msg is commonly used as the short cut to make food taste good. These can be done without actually if the chef can cook well.

Creating everything from scratch is laborious. There are short cuts as there are plenty of ready made sauces to add on. Even curry, the trend is to use instant curry for economy rice store. The quality can be just as good. If you can find, look for tian shi fu curry paste (made in msia). It is one of the best around.

Using bones and unwanted parts of meat for prep cooking can be one of the ways to enhance taste.

The market apparently like paying high prices for loads of air, chemicals, water and some flour. :bsmilie:

Well honestly, we pay for what we demand. We want bread that can be kept for one week. Here you have it. We want soft bread without adding too much yeast. No problem too. You want soft textures, they have emulsifiers... etc

These are called improvers. These are chemicals that wont kill you in trace amounts.

But ever wonder why the ants wont even go near certain modern food these days? It is the chemicals that drive them away.

I can never understand why people could tolerate eating sub-standard when they have a choice to go for the best. Compared to other things in life, great food doesn't cost exponentially higher than the average and there is a difference between 'good' and GREAT food. :bsmilie:

Good authentic food are scattered everywhere. I am one who will not bother to go such length to satisfy my cravings. If i can find substitutes, i will just go for it. The cost is cheap, but to drive to these places, i would sometimes prefer to get done with the meal and continue my journey.

Hey I didn't know you're into great food too. I guess once you tasted the best, it's goodbye with the rest... :bsmilie:

ps. I kept quite some stuff in the house too, till my wife complains who's the woman in the house! :confused:

HAHAHHAHHA!

yeah....that sounds about just right....... :S

unfortunately, i've a super anal retentive tongue which can tell the difference if a dish has/does not have "wok heh" or "wok's breath" or things like using the wrong kinda sugar, or using starch instead to triple/quadruple boiled fish maw............

so end up, i cook things from scratch.......

Heck, i even found out how Kampar chee Cheong fun or Ipoh Sar hor fun is made!!!!!!! (but i can't get it done here :( ....i don't even have steamer large enough to do that..........

but other things like Bak Jam Gai.... is easy peasy....... Dong choi chopped mince pork belly is also simple....

and my wife can make a very mean Yam and pork belly traditional Hakka style.....after she helped my mum with it a few times :)

YEAH!!!!!!!! A truly fried kampong chicken drumstick with Thigh compared with fried battery chicken drumstick nowadays is like Heaven vs Earth/Hell......LOL ditto that for kampong eggs!

Damn.....u're oredi making me salivate!!!!

And, nowadays so called Kampong chicken is DEFINITELY NOT authentic kampong chicken...the meat textures, the BONE density and stiffness is COMPLETELY NOT the same as real kampong chicken.

Even the marrow amounts within the bones is big difference in terms of taste too.

Sometimes, it's a matter of convenience, ignorance or simply what they're used to (social, cultural, domestic and probably more than anything else - peer and media conditioning).

Last edited:
Sometimes, it's a matter of convenience, ignorance or simply what they're used to (social, cultural, domestic and probably more than anything else - peer and media conditioning).

for majority of singaporeans, esp in the hectic high pressure society,

its more of convenience....

for alot of other countries...its erm...ignorance..

I was asked by a German colleague who's never travelled to south east asia......... I eat insects?
:confused:

In some parts of SEA yes, but so far i haven't found one in Singapore

Actually, and this was quite surprising to me as I thought it was an 80's thing - several folks I've communicated with in the US still think SG is in or near China. :sweat:

Actually, and this was quite surprising to me as I thought it was an 80's thing - several folks I've communicated with in the US still think SG is in or near China. :sweat:

no loh.....

to the Europeans around here......as long as u speak mandarin/ Look chinese, u are automatically considered China chinese...

Only twice, i was greeted with "konichiwa"........:confused:

and my reply in English / German made them so embarassed.....

alamak....this thread from orh lua go all the way to food again and then now cultural exchanges.... LOL!

truly KOPITIAM culture!

Last edited:
Well honestly, we pay for what we demand. We want bread that can be kept for one week. Here you have it. We want soft bread without adding too much yeast. No problem too. You want soft textures, they have emulsifiers... etc

These are called improvers. These are chemicals that wont kill you in trace amounts.

But ever wonder why the ants wont even go near certain modern food these days? It is the chemicals that drive them away.

I think the climate/weather conditions is almost one of the MOST impt factor.

over here in Germany, i made bread with their flour and left it outside for more than a week and it is still in good condition without all our little spory friends growing. the only irritating thing that became of it:- u can play tennis with the bread bun.........

because the weather is semi- dry, my cameras and lenses do not require a drybox and it has no cracks yet (hopefully not) and the candied orange peels that i made and left it out to set and dry kinda dried up in 2 days.....

no loh.....

to the Europeans around here......as long as u speak mandarin/ Look chinese, u are automatically considered China chinese...

Only twice, i was greeted with "konichiwa"........:confused:

and my reply in English / German made them so embarassed.....

alamak....this thread from orh lua go all the way to food again and then now cultural exchanges.... LOL!

truly KOPITIAM culture!

LOLZ!

It's always nice to chat with someone who's diversified and who appreciates the finer things in life - especially food! I think the OT's fine - afterall, that's what KPT's for ... unless a thread gets hijacked again.

Last edited:
I think besides the climate, the soil, the breed of produce, the processing gives us a diverse range of good food to enjoy.

OK, below could be answers to your query about eggs from what i know about the practice. There are alot of sciences behind what we eat.

Throughout the world, farms feed hen with scientific diet and give jabs to the livestock to ensure strong immunity against diseases. Bird flu is the ultimate curse for any farm to have. hence, the bigger farms tend to isolate individual farms so that when one is down, the others are still making money. ie, in layman term, they spread their eggs into different basket. From keepers to storeman to delivery trucks, these are all separated well to ensure adherence to a certain iso standard.

Due to bird flu, free range chicken is forbidden. So forget about the humanitarian efforts to give them a better life with proper field and sunlight. Also, business profitability is of utmost importance and so the animals usually become malnourished - which is worsened by absence of freedom to exercise. The feed contains color powder to enhance the color of the egg yolk. this is a well kept secret.

To explain why the eggs today do not taste so good, it is perhaps a still mystery:bsmilie:

As for imported eggs from australia and some fancy farms overseas, these are no difference (imho). The age of the eggs and the stages of transit from chill to hot to chill to hot over a period of one to two weeks (transportation) would make them no different from locally fresh eggs in terms of available nutrients. There is no guarantee how they treat the animals and what they feed to them.

However, on the bright side, i know of retailers who request proper feeds to animals. Well, these retailers pay much more than those eggs in the market. these are really rare items and not easily found as the farm would never admit what improper diet the animals receive otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.