Best of Buskers' Time comp - rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce

Aug 25, 2003
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
Has anyone actually submitted photos for this yet? The rules on canon's website are a little more specific than on the actual buskers' site. There's one rule that I'm curious about:

"All digital photographs submitted must be new works shot during the Buskers Festival from 15 November to 23 November 2003. Participants who submit images that were shot earlier, will be disqualified. Submitted shots should be original. Participants should not digitally manipulate (other than resizing) the photographs. Digitally manipulated photographs will be disqualified."

So cannot use levels, crop, add saturation and sharpen? Or adjust exposure?
Are people/cameras that good that can take perfect shots with no digital darkroom?

well, how about in the past where manipulations are not even possible?

That's why it's called a competition -- to test the ability of the photographer right? If the camera is not good, then too bad... The photographer should know how to make use of the existing conditions to make the perfect photo. If digital manipulations are allowed, then what is photography?

Very true... that's what I always believe and stand by...

However, they are a lot of people here, don't believe in this.. Manipulation = PS skill, <> Photography skill (Not only need Photography skill but also need to understand how your DSLR function)

I wonder how many people here can shoot excellent pictures using DSLR with their PS skill?

engineermunn said:
to test the ability of the photographer right? If the camera is not good, then too bad... The photographer should know how to make use of the existing conditions to make the perfect photo. If digital manipulations are allowed, then what is photography?

engineermunn said:
well, how about in the past where manipulations are not even possible?

That's why it's called a competition -- to test the ability of the photographer right? If the camera is not good, then too bad... The photographer should know how to make use of the existing conditions to make the perfect photo. If digital manipulations are allowed, then what is photography?

What is your definition of digital manipulation?
Do you shoot digital or film?

ivor said:
Very true... that's what I always believe and stand by...

I wonder how many people here can shoot excellent pictures using DSLR with their PS skill?

Many. I think what matters most is the final product. If u dun even know if you photo works or not, no amt of PS can help. DSLRs produce images that inherently soft to allow user to apply the right amt of sharpening while prosumer cams apply a more aggressive sharpening. It is not right to demand straight out of cam images from different digicams and compare.

shutterfly said:
Many. I think what matters most is the final product. If u dun even know if you photo works or not, no amt of PS can help. DSLRs produce images that inherently soft to allow user to apply the right amt of sharpening while prosumer cams apply a more aggressive sharpening. It is not right to demand straight out of cam images from different digicams and compare.

Well said. I'm yet to see any DSLR image didn't benefit from some PS touchups (not manipulation).

Additionally if shooting RAW, then post production digital editing is unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.