best Nikon portraits lens for full frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentwong81

Jun 18, 2010
Singapore
Hi,

What is the best Nikon portraits lens in terms of sharpness and bokeh for a full frame camera body like D700 if my budget is below $1300 for a 2nd hand lens?

2nd hand 85mm f1.4D for both centre sharpness and quality bokeh

f1.4 AFD,f1.4AIS. :angel:

I think the 50mm f1.8 is fantastic on the FF.

50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4. AFD or AFS? U can read up some of the discussion threads

Thanks all. How about the 85mm f1.8 AFD? Is it better than 50mm f1.4G in full frame? Their 2nd hand price are quite closed.

Thanks all. How about the 85mm f1.8 AFD? Is it better than 50mm f1.4G in full frame? Their 2nd hand price are quite closed.

huh? You already have the 85/1.8 mah... it is in your signature?

Hi,

What is the best Nikon portraits lens in terms of sharpness and bokeh for a full frame camera body like D700 if my budget is below $1300 for a 2nd hand lens?

IMHO, I would get the best I can afford.

$1300 is a great budget with much flexibility.

In the $1100 to $1300 range you have choices of 85 AFD 1.4, 105 DC and 105 VR Micro (double up as macro lens too!).

The the 85 1.8 will be more appropriate than the 50 G if you want to drop budget down by half. 50 is more like a 'normal lens', can use for full length to half length portraits but you will find chest up shots a bit too close for comfort and nose and hands (if hands are posed in front of face) becomes a bit bigger/exaggerated.

IMHO, I would get the best I can afford.

$1300 is a great budget with much flexibility.

In the $1100 to $1300 range you have choices of 85 AFD 1.4, 105 DC and 105 VR Micro (double up as macro lens too!).

The the 85 1.8 will be more appropriate than the 50 G if you want to drop budget down by half. 50 is more like a 'normal lens', can use for full length to half length portraits but you will find chest up shots a bit too close for comfort and nose and hands (if hands are posed in front of face) becomes a bit bigger/exaggerated.

Comparing 85mm 1.4 and 105 DC, which one is the best? their prices look similar.

Comparing 85mm 1.4 and 105 DC, which one is the best? their prices look similar.

Its hard to say, also the focal length is different. In general, portrait lenses for full frame varies between 85mm focal length to 135mm for most shooters, generally/commonly, so 105 would appear to be more versatile as a in between.

Both are sharp and creamy. :)

Both gives great bokeh , with more room for tweaking for 105mm DC.
Probably down to a matter of focal length and the 85mm f1.4 having a larger maximum aperture.

ryan

My experience with the Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4D has been great on the D700. Certainly worth consideration. It's selling slightly above S$1,300 at HK, I believe.

My experience with the Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4D has been great on the D700. Certainly worth consideration. It's selling slightly above S$1,300 at HK, I believe.

Yeah I know HK is very cheap. Hopefully I have a chance to go HK next year.

AF 85mm f/1.4D
AF-S 85mm f/1.4G
AF DC 105mm f/2D
AF DC 135mm f/2D
AF-S 200mm f/2G VR

AF DC lenses need long lead time to order... don't expect ready stock in HK...

AF 85mm f/1.4D
AF-S 85mm f/1.4G
AF DC 105mm f/2D
AF DC 135mm f/2D
AF-S 200mm f/2G VR

AF DC lenses need long lead time to order... don't expect ready stock in HK...

The AF-S 85mm f/1.4G and the AF-S 200mm f/2G VR may bust TS's budget!

I hate to say this,

But you already have enough tools to start. It makes more sense to better your skills than talk on paper and start hording lenses.

Lenses like 105 and 135DC are not easy to use. (If you can even find them nowadays). I suggest you practice more with what you have and buy lenses slowly. There is no 'best' portrait lens. Because you work with different focal lengths for different situations.

One thing you need to buy now is a CF card. Go get it now!

Last edited:
DC lenses are specially designed for controlling bokeh
needs some skills to use but 2nd to none in bokeh control

The AF-S 85mm f/1.4G and the AF-S 200mm f/2G VR may bust TS's budget!

sorry man... just saw BEST didn't see budget...

but anyway... DD123 is right... why bother never ending equipment selection and purchase when TS already got most of the decent tools to take amazing photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.