best mountain to climb in SE Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloyteo

Sep 14, 2005
aloyteo.multiply.com
hi may i know which is the best mountain to climb in SE Asia? one that is not as explored as mt kinabalu and one that has direct budget airline connection? thanks a lot. ;)

today weather is also very good. its rain just now and going to rain soon too.

Mount Rinjani in Lombok, Indonesia, is quite a good challenge. Silkair flies to Lombok.

thanks guys for the suggestions. rinjani seems like quite an active volcano, a bit dangerous to climb leh... gunung angsi is quite unique... hmm redstone what kind of memories u have there haha ;)

Mount Fransipan > 3000 m at NorthWest Vietnam.

Tiger Air flies to Hanoi.

actually mt kinabalu isn't tough to scale right? i read that it is really one of the easiest mt to climb.. i read sth that a 2 day package to reach the peak..and actually someone told me that reach the top in 1 day..

Someone adventurers can comment?

Lens,

the gurkas training in Malaysia actually do make the ascent in a day, running up & down. It's not advisable if you're not of a certain fitness level. There is also a Mt. kinabalu climb-athon, where participants will run up & down.2 days is about right, else altitude sickness can kill you.

Brokeback Mountain.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: just a joke don't flame me..:bsmilie:

It kinda depends on what kind of mountain-climbing experience you're looking for. If its the camping, hardcore (and I mean tough climb), then Gunung Tahan would be good. Its in Taman Negara, and you'll need around 6-7 days to go up and down. The view on the way up is spectacular, but you'll need to be fairly fit, as well as to hire guides and such.

G. Kinabalu is more touristy, no need to camp (you can't actually!) and its like walking up an endless flight of stairs to the peak. View is also good, because you'll see the vegetation change from lush rainforests to the sparse montane forests and finally to shrubs and rocks at the peak. You start climbing on day 1, stop around mid-noon at Laban rate where you'll sleep till around 3am, then start hiking to the peak for the sunrise. Then down again, so all in 2 days.

Both mountains are very different, but both equally as beautiful. I would say that G. Tahan is the better of the two, as the view on the way up there is amazing, plus you'll really appreciate it more cause of the effort getting there! But choose your timing. My first time up it was excellent weather all the way, the second trip up it was raining EVERY DAY! Quite miserable to pitch the tent and cook and eat in the rain -but an experience nevertheless! :)

Ah_Seng said:
Hkakabo Razi in Myanmar. The highest mountain in S.E.A at 5881 metres.

Ah seng, a quick search in internet, Gunung kinabalu claims to be the highest mountain in S.E.A, 4101 meter..
i have thought that it is the highest mt in S.E.A...

why ah?

chewed said:
Lens,

the gurkas training in Malaysia actually do make the ascent in a day, running up & down. It's not advisable if you're not of a certain fitness level. There is also a Mt. kinabalu climb-athon, where participants will run up & down.2 days is about right, else altitude sickness can kill you.

Hello chewed,

Oic, i was told by an india couple during a trip that they have been Mt. kinabalu for a 1 day trip.. i thought it is the highest mouintain in S.E.A and it surprises me that it can be that easy to access.

You sound like knowing a lot of adventurous activities, do share with us what is interesting =)

I beckon non of you guys EVER been to this hidden beauty! There are lots of large
mountains and caves. The caves there are like whales to salomon when comparing
to caves in SE Asia. :p Really. It's truly an adventure to go there since this place
is my hometown and very underdevelopped.
http://www.dhs.gov.cn/

LENS said:
Ah seng, a quick search in internet, Gunung kinabalu claims to be the highest mountain in S.E.A, 4101 meter..
i have thought that it is the highest mt in S.E.A...

why ah?

For some reason people seem to claim that Kinabalu is the highest mountain in SEA, but actually it is only the third highest, behind Hkakabo Razi in Myanmar (highest) and Puncak Jaya in Papua, Indonesia.

Anyone been to taiwan for mountain climbing before? Looking at Alishan and Yushan, can't seem to find any local contacts online, maybe they are all in mandarin thats why :sweat:

aloyteo said:
thanks guys for the suggestions. rinjani seems like quite an active volcano, a bit dangerous to climb leh... gunung angsi is quite unique... hmm redstone what kind of memories u have there haha ;)

Angsi very unique meh?:think:

Hahah...
Those leg cramps when climbing up... the climb itself, the road trip, the wildlife, soaking in the river... those cicadas.. and lousy toilets...

Ah those were the memories. Was very fun. :cry: :)

I'm getting nostalgic.... sigh.. :sweat:

gooseberry said:
For some reason people seem to claim that Kinabalu is the highest mountain in SEA, but actually it is only the third highest, behind Hkakabo Razi in Myanmar (highest) and Puncak Jaya in Papua, Indonesia.

what reason ah? since there is exact figures to show the height of mountain..why there are different claims?

I have been told that this mt kinabalu aka mt china widow is the highest..care to enlighten me?

Thank you.

LENS said:
actually mt kinabalu isn't tough to scale right? i read that it is really one of the easiest mt to climb.. i read sth that a 2 day package to reach the peak..and actually someone told me that reach the top in 1 day..

Someone adventurers can comment?

climb? more like walk...all the path already build nicely for you

During Mount Kinabalu Climbathon, the runners can scale Mount Kinabalu from base to summit and back in 2.5 hours, covering a total distance of 21km.

Status
Not open for further replies.