best macro lighting flash setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been using an external hotshoe-mounted flash aimed upwards at 45 degrees with a bounce card to take macro shots but i find that the results are not too satisfactory, producing distinct shadows under insects like spiders. moreover, the shadow areas under the eyes of some insects are quite obvious.

i read that to get the best lighting in macro photography the external flash should be off-shoe and positioned as close and level to the lens as possible, is it true?

anybody care to share here on their own macro lighting setup with all the flash brackets and flash positions? what type of flash brackets should i get and how much they cost? thanks :)

It's usually a ring flash for me, but I have to watch out for the "flat" lighting and hotspots.

It's a balance between the ambient lighting and flash EC more than the position of the flash.

There's been great shots using your setup.

The best off flash bracket is the Wimberly Macro Bracket which is very flexible and can be positioned any way you require it to get the best lighting position, normally the flash has diffuser Omnibounce, to caste away hard shadow normally I will set the flash to -1.33 FEC to just enough to light up the subject but not to over blown it.

You can find a lot of tips and learn from the NPSS forum, www.naturephotosociety.org.sg

Don't need think so much, Nikon R1C1. :bsmilie:

The best off flash bracket is the Wimberly Macro Bracket which is very flexible and can be positioned any way you require it to get the best lighting position, normally the flash has diffuser Omnibounce, to caste away hard shadow normally I will set the flash to -1.33 FEC to just enough to light up the subject but not to over blown it.

You can find a lot of tips and learn from the NPSS forum, www.naturephotosociety.org.sg

thanks for the link, its an interesting read!

i also have the Close-up Speedlight Remote Kit R1

pic_001.jpg

sometimes i just use the pop up flash
sometimes the R1 + pop up flash
and sometimes i'll add in the SB800 as well

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/speedlights/kits/index.htm

seems like the dedicated dual flash setup is the best but it is also the most expensive option. i'm thinking of using those flash brackets that allow u to lower your flash to the level of the lens together with an off-shoe flash cord. are there 3rd party ttl flash cords available and for roughly how much cos the original ones are quite expensive @ $80-90 plus dollars each.

Wow Ortega! You have went all the way with the flash :thumbsup: ! Long time no shoot macro with you!

Wow Ortega! You have went all the way with the flash :thumbsup: ! Long time no shoot macro with you!

just shot a beetle that came into my flat last night
i have not been shooting macro for quite some time already

will find some time to go and practice, i'll let you know

anyway this is my first test shot with the R1 kit, both sides equal

_DSC8410.jpg

Power sia.....love the DOF :heart: thought I dont like spider much....scary....:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.