Best lubricant for rubber o ring seals?

angmorbeng

Nov 24, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

I just received my ikelite (DSR) housing and ports etc.....

I need to purchase some lubricant for the numerous rubber o ring seals

What is the best product? Where to buy?

The instructions mention that I should NEVER use a spray on type.

Thanks,

John

Just use ikelite's own silicon grease... you can buy a few pack and store it at home. Best not to mix and match silicon grease... while I can't remember properly, I do know that most O Ring are made of 2 difference materials (but can't remember which 2 :sweat: ). Using the wrong silicon grease that has certain chemical compound have damaging effect on the O Ring.

Case in point... almost 2 years ago, a diving buddy of mine drown his Olympus XZ-1 during our dive trip to the Philippines. Everything was all right for the 1st few days... then he start using grease from another camera brand on his Olympus housing O Ring... the O Ring expanded and doesn't fit into the grove of the housing as perfectly.... camera was drowned at around 15m of water.

IIRC... using the wrong chemical formula grease on your O Ring could either cause it to expand... or harden... both is not good for our hobby... LOL :bsmilie:

As to where to buy... ScubaCam sells them... just buy something like 10 pack (4 tube in each pack) and you're set for a year or more..

Last edited:
Don't grease them. Replace them periodically.

Hi,

I just received my ikelite (DSR) housing and ports etc.....

I need to purchase some lubricant for the numerous rubber o ring seals

What is the best product? Where to buy?

The instructions mention that I should NEVER use a spray on type.

Thanks,

John