Best local photography mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iggy

Dec 1, 2005
Hi can anyone recommend any good local photography magazines?

Thanks,
Ig

jeryltan said:
PhotoVideoi

It's the best local photography mag here. (is it the only one?) But it's not very good. Not that it's bad, actually on par with the American mags. Just not excellent.

British mags are the best, IMHO. They do cost a fair bit, but I think they're worth every cent.

thanks peeps. Just wondered to know, really. My personal fav is the now defunct "Camera & Darkroom Photography"

yup, agree on the UK mags. personally like practical photography, photography monthly, digital camera world.

there is one local book (not really a mag), HWM megaguide, that;s not bad.

i have also read some mags from china on photography but they are in chinese. they are actually very good and practical, talks down to earth about filters and stuff. but occasionally some articles reeks of cultural chauvinism. picture wise are very good, but not as plentiful as the uk mags.

I prefer UK mags because I (think???) their reviews are more honest. If a product is crap, they will not be shy about saying so. The American mag reviews seem to be nothing more than a re-hash of the manufacturer's brochures in another form. More advertorial than review, and there's hardly any conclusion to their writing. And especially those from Petersen's (e.g. Popular Photography, PHOTOGRAPHIC), literally half of the mag is ads! And UK mags are very colourful, compared to the almost B&W print of the US ones.

S'porean reviews also tend to be on the "safe" side, with criticisms being generally very mild, if at all, even though a product may have very glaring shortcomings. (PhotoVideoi did a review on the Panasonic GS500 video cam. Almost all websites reviewed it as a massive disappointment, but this mag gave it a very good rating?)

Well, this is IMHO only lah. Nowsadays I hardly buy mags anymore, unless got specific topics/articles I'm interested. Websites are plenty good.

there used to be this magazine called Grain...

Status
Not open for further replies.