best lenses for panny m4/3

Johnbon

Oct 4, 2011
Just wondering which lenses u guys like most so far for m4/3.

So far i tried
1) leica dg 25mm f1.4 (superb)
2) 20mm f1.7 (excellent)
3) 14-45 f3.5-5.6 (good and convenient)

Tested the Oly M.zuiko 12mm f2 on the gx1. Perfectly compatible. Quality as good as the leica dg and really love the MF mode ring. Probably will target to get this lens. Best thing is can use these lenses IF decide to get EM-5. SO far Youtube review on EM-5 is very promising by a KL guy.

Currently there are fantastic prime lenses for M4/3 but std zoom lenses relatively its ok only

Hi Johnbon, I'm totally new to M4/3 and just bought the GX1. I noticed you listed 20mm 1.7 as excellent and I'm keen to get my first prime for my panny. I wonder if I should also consider others? I am using it more for street and casual photography.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Sorry to hijack your thread.
Thanks

Hi Johnbon, I'm totally new to M4/3 and just bought the GX1. I noticed you listed 20mm 1.7 as excellent and I'm keen to get my first prime for my panny. I wonder if I should also consider others? I am using it more for street and casual photography.
Thanks[/QUOTE

Pancake lens is a great lens to use and relatively cheaper. If u have the funds than u should definately consider the leica or m.zuiko.

m.zuiko is a lot wider at 24mm equivalent whereas pancake is 40.what is ur kit lens?

lumix 7-14mm f4 is a very good lens also,very wide and sharper then that 20mm 1.7. but pricy~

My advise for you if you have already choosen the M4/3 system is: look for a lenses first, then the camera. Those m4/3 lenses retain their value well, especially if you have choosen the holy trinity of M4/3 lenses. There are actually 2 sets of Holy trinity lenses for m4/3 right now, one set for the budget conscious, and the other for the richer. This is where the M4/3 has a edge over other mirrorless system right now. Mature system with many good lenses selections.

In his blog, Tyson Robichaud described 2 sets of Holy Trinity lenses for M4/3, for set for the budget conscious, and another set for the money is no issue.
It’s not the size of the boat, it’s the motion in the ocean.

Holy trinity for budget conscious:
Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
Olympus 45mm f/1.8

Holy trinity for the money is no issue:
Olympus 12mm f/2.0
Panaleica 25mm f/1.4
Panaleica 45mm f/2.8 OIS Macro

Quoting trelch from another thread.

Looks like my taste not too bad. M zuiko 12mm and Leica dg 25mm is in my list also. Hopefully will have std zoom lenses with excellent performance soon (f2.8?). So far got fantastic prime lenses only

Looks like my taste not too bad. M zuiko 12mm and Leica dg 25mm is in my list also. Hopefully will have std zoom lenses with excellent performance soon (f2.8?). So far got fantastic prime lenses only

Yes, you have good taste.

go YouTube and search digitalrev m. Zuiko 12mm and check out the sexy time mf and lieca dg 25mm and check out the bokehlicious lens

Sorry if this is OT. but those of us who are using m4/3 usually hang out in the 4/3 forum... not so much here...

Back to the topic.. yes.. 14/20/45 or 12/25/45.
If you are looking at street.. better to go wider, so the 12/14/20 is best. If you shoot in low light and want cheap.. then 14/20 better.. I personally feel the 20 is the best compromise.. relatively cheaper and very fast at f1.7.. the 14 is cheaper (can get around $250 in bns) but slightly slower at f2.5..

No wonder I was thinking why panny. And oly thread very quiet.
actually I am Nikon dslr user. Recently reignited my m4/3 interest due to gx1. Had gf1 but 2and 3 version was weak

Thanks[/QUOTE

Pancake lens is a great lens to use and relatively cheaper. If u have the funds than u should definately consider the leica or m.zuiko.

m.zuiko is a lot wider at 24mm equivalent whereas pancake is 40.what is ur kit lens?

My kit lens is the 14-42mm power ois. I'm actually very happy with this lens but was also recommended highly the 20mm 1.7. I beginning to really enjoy the GX1, it's portable and great for street shooting.

The 20mm pancake is great. Its compact and with f1.7 it performs well under low light situations. Also good for bokeh.

2Nd hand is around 450. 1St hand I think 500 plus.so it depend on ur budget. If u can afford 800 to 1k than u should try out the different lenses mentioned above.

Bring ur camera to the shop. Parisilk let me test the different lens and they were ok cos end of the day I bought a lens from them. Don't worry too much about spending on a good lens cos buying a good lens is investment so long as u stick to the m4/3 system and enjoy it for the years to come. Life is too short to worry about a few hundred dollars. Some bros buy camera and keep it inside cabinet. But if u use it relatively often than its definately worth getting a better performance lens.

14-45 f3.5-5.6 is not so good in low light condition on portrait, for landscape or street photography is ok, if you guys foun a way to take sharp portrait with this lens on low light please share with me i cannot really get it as compare to my 14mm f2.5

Has anyone tried Nikon or Canon lenses on GX-1? I have got a few. Thought it wld be interesting to try. haha

Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Micro 4/3 Nokton! My most enjoyable lens on my GH2.

I see. I was told to get the 25 mm F1.4. Anyone can comment? Thanks.

Not sure about the pentax 25mm but the leica dg. 25mm f1.4 is excellent. However feel the m zuiko 12mm is more useful for general shooting due to wider angle. Not cheap though. These 2 lens are widely regarded as the best lenses for m43

Not sure about the pentax 25mm but the leica dg. 25mm f1.4 is excellent. However feel the m zuiko 12mm is more useful for general shooting due to wider angle. Not cheap though. These 2 lens are widely regarded as the best lenses for m43

Thanks. Btw, how much for the leica dg. 25mm 1.4?

Thanks. Btw, how much for the leica dg. 25mm 1.4?

About $800. Worth every penny.

Legacy lenses like Nikon, Canon, Leicas? Works very well except they are only manual focus. I use Nikon, Leica, Contax and of course Panny lenses on my GX1