Best lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjing

Sep 11, 2006
hi, just want to do a general survey which is the best lens that you have own?

yupzz... the eyes and the specs. The specs is like an external filter, making things sharper. The wonderful thing is that your eyes can 'crop'what you see....

The Best lens is the lens YOU feel is the best for you.

No one can answer it..

There is no such thing as the best lens cause there will always be something better.

The best lens, made by Perkin-Elmer, is currently mounted on the NASA Hubble Space Telescope. It took 3 years to construct due to its highly precise specifications. The lens surface was polished to an accuracy of 1/20 of the wavelength of visible light, or about 30 nanometres.

A straight forward answer would be the 300mm f/4L IS. Absolutely the sharpest thing I've ever used, but I haven't tried enough lenses in my lifetime so there's certainly much better ones out there. Also, it fits my shooting interests and habits. With a 1.4X TC attached it's great even for faraway subjects. It is my favourite lens.

Remember that everyone will have their favourite lens, but it is not necessarily the best. I feel that the 'best' lens for you is the lens that you will use most often, most effectively and most naturally. It is the lens that fits what you like to photograph, and at a price that you can stomach.

For example, if you do street shooting with an old rangefinder film camera with a fixed 50mm lens and find that it works extremely well for you, then that may be the 'best' for your purpose. If you do sports, perhaps the 400mm f/2.8 is the 'best' thing for your subjects. And if you do wildlife and don't mind lugging some serious mass around, then maybe the Sigmonster 300-800mm is the 'best' lens for your style.

As you can see, the optical quality and prices of all these lenses will vary wildly. What is 'best' for one photographer might be a complete paperweight to another. Although the philosophy always states to buy the best quality lenses you can afford, I also think you should spend the least possible to get the lens that you feel is 'best' for you. It's a compromise between the pocket and the hobby.

There is no such thing as the best lens for everything but there is a best lens for the type of photography you are shooting.

This debate will lead to nowhere if you do not specify what type of photography you are into.

There is no such thing as the best lens for everything but there is a best lens for the type of photography you are shooting.

This debate will lead to nowhere if you do not specify what type of photography you are into.

Agree. Diff pple got diff likings.

Personally, I dont even think that there is a best lens for a specific type of photography.

Only a best lens for a specific type of photography, for a person.

Well said guys.... Hahaa... :bsmilie:

70-200mm F2.8L gets my vote...

But still agrees with many that eyes are the best lens

Cheers and have fun

I don't know if it can be considered the "best" lens, but I like my cheap Zenitar 16/2.8 FE best.

I don't know if it can be considered the "best" lens, but I like my cheap Zenitar 16/2.8 FE best.

This definately qualify for a value for money lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.