best lens to start off with a d60?

froggalicious

Feb 21, 2011
west
hi guys
im new to photography here lol
im getting myself a nikon d60 body from a fellow forummer here but i dont own any lens to start with.
Read around but still abit confused, so many kind of lens lol
any lens reccomended for a good kickstart? Not to expensive though :p

hi guys
im getting myself a nikon d60 body from a fellow forummer here but i dont own any lens to start with.

Use the basic kit lens. No point buying more lenses until you're sure you need them for your style of photography.

hi guys

Welcome!

The kit lens Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR is a good start for you to explore.

hi guys

Kit Lens consists (not sure if i missed out any)
18-55mm
18-105mm
18-200mm

I would recommend a 18-105 or 18-200 as it's an "all in one" lens which will also aid in helping you find your commonly used focal length. Once you know what you want, then go for it.

Everyone's "best" lens is different. Bird shooters may like 600mm, portrait takers may like 35 to 70mm etc, landscapers may fall inbetween 10-20. Different lens for different needs.

thanks for the response guys, but what does the different number means? as in, do they zoom in more or something like that? o.0 lol

yes read up more first.

I do recommend the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens, coz it's relatively inexpensive and a good start.
From there you can start shooting and find out what you like
(eg. wider than 18mm, more reach than 55, thinner DOF, etc)

If the lens is still in good condition, then can sell off for minimal loss.

18-55mm is the way to go. A used one will cost you $100-150.

the 18-70mm is what i would recommend if going for cheap cheap. wide angle + short tele.

18-55mm if you need the VR.

Take note that your D60 does not have in body focusing motor so not all lens will autofocus. Look for those with AF-S.

Last edited: