best lens for wedding..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYLBORN

Apr 24, 2009
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
pls advice on selecting right lens for wedding....im using canon 450d
is it good enough for wedding shoot? there'll be a big family photo session too.
need your kind help here....thanks.

17-55mm or 16-35mm L.
You wouldnt go wrong with either one.

On a tighter budget?
17-50mm tamron.

450D is fine.

Usually for weddings, experiences and guts play a major role too.
The usual question....are you up to it..even if you have the best body+lens.

Last edited:
Im a nikon user..In my opinion, a 17-55mm and a wide 12-24mm do cover me most of the time...it give a nice wide and close-up without much problem...And not forgetting a flash too..like what being said most..,creativity play the most part in photography than equipment...Good luck in your shoot...hope it help..

The Tamron 17-50mm would be a good choice. Can consider bringing an 85mm 1.8 prime along as well

The Tamron 17-50mm would be a good choice. Can consider bringing an 85mm 1.8 prime along as well

Although one must be prepared to note that changing lens during a wedding may not be easy.

Renting another body with the 85 1.8/50 1.4 will be good idea to expand your creative boundaries.

get the 17-55 IS:thumbsup: Lovely lens for crop body.. 2.8 + IS... then again there is no 'best' lens for anything. it depends on what you shoot, and how you shoot;)

Alternatively, you can try the one lens that do them all.... Canon 18-200mm IS. :bsmilie:

Coz for wedding table shot you don't really need to shoot at F2.8 or below and a F3.5 ~ F4.0 is more than enough to get the job done.

To me if you are the main photographer (means that you need to take alot of formal shots) your composition and how you control your flash play a bigger part than your lens. :think:

thanks alot for your support frens....!
I'll be shooting an indian wedding....the depth of field with 24-105mm
makes me worry. especially group photos. Any tips to improve on tht pls...!

Um, as with all lenses, just because it's an f/1.4 lens does not mean you have to shoot at f/1.4. You just stop down the aperture when you shoot a group photo.

can explain in a easy way pls.....thanks

I really hope that
1) You aren't the main paid photographer, because it's evident you do not know your stuff the least bit.
2) You are aware of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and how they affect your image in terms of overall exposure motion, DoF, and digital noise.

By the way, I always strive to shoot group photos at f/5.6, if not f/8. Please read up on aperture and DoF. Please read up on etiquette of shooting an event. And please have all this basic photography knowledge at your fingertips, back of your hand, back of your head; make it second nature.

pls advice on selecting right lens for wedding....im using canon 450d
is it good enough for wedding shoot? there'll be a big family photo session too.
need your kind help here....thanks.

Any lens is good provided YOU know what you want out of it and how to use it properly.

That said, you still need to learn loads on photography first.

There's no real "best lens" for wedding. It's how you use it and what you want to achieve. Some wedding photogs I've seen used any of the following:
- 17-55
- 24-70
- 70-200 (yes, this can work wonderfully too, if you think through the shot)
- 50 prime
- 85 prime

Some ppl think that close up shots are the best, which isn't always wrong, but you don't necessarily have to be close up to get close shots.

Some ppl think that posed shots are the best. This is not necessarily true and there are some who swear against it - especially if its not for the photoshoot album. For church ceremonies, fetching bride tea-ceremony, lunch buffet, dinner reception, dinner itself, candid shots can be the most powerful.

Check out the latest Practical Photography (or was it Amatuer Photography... can't remember), there's a good coverage on wedding photography.

There's no real "best lens" for wedding. It's how you use it and what you want to achieve. Some wedding photogs I've seen used any of the following:
- 17-55
- 24-70
- 70-200 (yes, this can work wonderfully too, if you think through the shot)
- 50 prime
- 85 prime

Some ppl think that close up shots are the best, which isn't always wrong, but you don't necessarily have to be close up to get close shots.

Some ppl think that posed shots are the best. This is not necessarily true and there are some who swear against it - especially if its not for the photoshoot album. For church ceremonies, fetching bride tea-ceremony, lunch buffet, dinner reception, dinner itself, candid shots can be the most powerful.

Check out the latest Practical Photography (or was it Amatuer Photography... can't remember), there's a good coverage on wedding photography.

Just curious, I dont see a wide angle lens in the range you mentioned.

I had the impression that for wedding in events, there is probably a need for a zoom lens for bride and groom march in/candid shots and a wide angle lens for Table Shots, stage shots.

Also, there seems to be a lot of good review for 85mm Prime, I am curious if the lack of range will make it tough cater for the reaction time needed for the multiple changes in events within the wedding dinner it self.

The 17-55 is a wide angle lens what... enough to cover group shots.
A 24-70 on a full frame body is also wide enough.

The 17-55 is a wide angle lens what... enough to cover group shots.
A 24-70 on a full frame body is also wide enough.

Understood.. thanks for clearing up. I some how did not think that 17mm is wide enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.