Best lens for potrait shots in studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamdam

Deregistered
Sep 2, 2006
Tampines
Hello,

I will be using a Canon 350D for my class photo taking session @ at studio. I plan to take potrait shots of each individual. Its something like passport kinda style but I am not sure what lens to use. Anyone can reccomend?

Oh ya is a battery grip needed for a photoshoot for more than 3 hours?

Thank you =)

Just mount it on the tripod and have spare batteries.

85mm

70-200l

It all depends on what you would like to, and can achieve. I know of a pro who uses 200mm for full body group shots. His works are all over suntec/millenium walk as advertisment for upclass products.
Passport sized photos etc, they usually end up using a 35mm/50mm lens at those small retailers etc. Once you use a lens past 50mm, you won't really notice any compression/distortion/difference unless you're shooting a large scene.

I believe MANY people in CS has gone for 5 - 8 hour shoots WITHOUT a grip, and lived to tell the story. Grip is a highly personal preference kind of thing, so.... If you were to ask such a question, I think it's not needed.

lens more important. lighting too. :D as for the grip. it is a plus but not a neccessity IMO. good lighting and good lens is. 50mm f1.8 does the job. or else 35 f2 also can :D

wanzw said:
lens more important. lighting too. :D as for the grip. it is a plus but not a neccessity IMO. good lighting and good lens is. 50mm f1.8 does the job. or else 35 f2 also can :D

35mm f/2 will give more distortion compared to the 50mm. Best is 60mm to 85mm with the 1.6x crop factor.:)

50mm will do the job~!:)

adamdam said:
Hello,

I will be using a Canon 350D for my class photo taking session @ at studio. I plan to take potrait shots of each individual. Its something like passport kinda style but I am not sure what lens to use. Anyone can reccomend?

Oh ya is a battery grip needed for a photoshoot for more than 3 hours?

Thank you =)

For studio shoot at individual students, a 50mm will do the job fine.

the actual question is

how big is the studio?

Lens: 50mm, 60mm, 85mm, 105mm
depends on your preference, the longer the focal lenght the flatter the image

battery grip is not important,
as mentioned earlier bring a tripod

oh also remember to have reflectors and assistants
music is also very important

For head shot only, 50mm is usable, but would prefer a 85 or 90mm, so would not be too close with the subjects.

just curious, how many classes and how many heads you need to shoot?

depends on size of studio. 85mm can be a bit long fr full body shots in some studios. 50mm quite versatile.

well IMO a tripod may not be too good. because the students will have different height. need to adj all the way. rather use a grip and be more flexible :D

do u shoot F1.2 with studio light?
it a studio, just bring everything.....
bring tripod? wwwww...

Alright thanks alot guys =) this thread was really really helpful

Ill be shooting just 42 heads including myself lol

I have only used a DSLR once before for outdoor shooting. Any tips on using a DSLR in the studio? Most prolly im renting or borrowing a Canon 350D.

Status
Not open for further replies.