Best "idiot proof" camera for NIGHT shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkishy

Dec 29, 2003
Singapore, Opera Estate
Hi, i'd like opinions on which is a better camera to purchase especially for taking night shots or taking in dim light conditions.

I currently own a Oly 5060 but i'm having hell adjusting the lighting and all.. and almost every picture comes out blur. thus, i want to get those 'point and shoot cams' for convenience's sake. I don't need those manual adjustments and all as my current cam can do that.. i just want one where i can bring around and shoot fast, doesn't matter if everything is clear and doesn't have dof and all that jazz ;p

I hate using flash too!! cause it makes everything too bright.. i still want the warm glow and all.. and be able to take clear pictures without a tripod.. and without making the subjects stand impossibly still for 1 sec or more for exposure.. cause the slightest movement will cause 'ghostly' lines :sweat:

Oh, preferbly with more than 3x opt zoom too, though i know that the more the zoom, the more 'unstable' it is.. or am i asking for the impossible? :dunno:

Any recommendations? :lovegrin:

You could try Panasonic FZ20 if you dont want to venture into DSLRs.
It is F2.8 (they claim) throughout the zoom range and has got image stabilization. Perfect for handheld shots in low light. It sells at around 950$

Pinkishy said:
Hi, i'd like opinions on which is a better camera to purchase especially for taking night shots or taking in dim light conditions.

I currently own a Oly 5060 but i'm having hell adjusting the lighting and all.. and almost every picture comes out blur. thus, i want to get those 'point and shoot cams' for convenience's sake. I don't need those manual adjustments and all as my current cam can do that.. i just want one where i can bring around and shoot fast, doesn't matter if everything is clear and doesn't have dof and all that jazz ;p

I hate using flash too!! cause it makes everything too bright.. i still want the warm glow and all.. and be able to take clear pictures without a tripod.. and without making the subjects stand impossibly still for 1 sec or more for exposure.. cause the slightest movement will cause 'ghostly' lines :sweat:

Oh, preferbly with more than 3x opt zoom too, though i know that the more the zoom, the more 'unstable' it is.. or am i asking for the impossible? :dunno:

Any recommendations? :lovegrin:

eh suggest same cam...buy a tripod...

cheers..

i'll agree with witness. cheapest option is to get a tripod w/o flash, and to use flash when it comes to shooting people at night.

the 5060 is already a good camera. further, you don't need expensive tirpods to take the weight of the 5060. :)

What kind of night shots ? buildings ? People ?

I think your Oly 5060 is capable to take good building and people nite shots... care to share some photos ?

mayb wad u need is to use ur cam more often?... :dunno:

haha.. i do have a tripod.. but i don't want to lug it around.. thus i'm considering of buying an easy point & shoot (read: small & chic) cam to use while going out with my girlfriends and just taking silly shots

Pictures i would like to capture are just like outings at pubs .. or performances that i attend.. which often have dim lighting or warm orange lights..

everything always turns out blur :sweat:

I still use my 5060.. but only when i have time to analyze surrounding & take picures slowly.. if not very heavy to lug around ;p

megaweb said:
What kind of night shots ? buildings ? People ?

I think your Oly 5060 is capable to take good building and people nite shots... care to share some photos ?

more of people.. i have some pics.. but i gotta dig them up.. it's just all blur

then try
konica-minolta XG
very small, slim, light, easy to use, idiot proof, use SD cards :p
special for taking the night photos you want
(you need a small and light tripod) a $5 one will do.

not talking hot air.
how do I know?
I have one. (not trying to sell you here)
I am keeping it.

You can try the shops. Cheap.

hmmm...
howabout a Panasonic? its Image Stabilizer (IS) can help in dim lighting.

my sis got d FZ-20. hand-held nightshots turned out sharp... :bigeyes:

g3 + 220EX

so far my experience with the ixus camera have been great. i usually use the flash but the shots dont come out harsh at all and the colours are still good and not to warm cant say the same for the other cameras in the same price range though. and even with the flash off the results are still acceptable. h/e areas like pubs and clubs tend to have really bad lighting. doubt you'd get any clear shots without the flash.

i wonder if its possible to lessen the harshness of flashes of built in flashes, by placing translucent plastic over it? especially since she's using it mostly for protraits which would not be taken too far away.

hhmm...maybe i would try that out one day.

can reduce power of the flash on some cameras
lumix and also minolta have a portrait mode for natural and soft photo.

candy said:
i wonder if its possible to lessen the harshness of flashes of built in flashes, by placing translucent plastic over it? especially since she's using it mostly for protraits which would not be taken too far away.

hhmm...maybe i would try that out one day.

Placing a layer of tissue paper of the built in flash will soften the image. If not, try 2.

Hi people!!

thank you for your suggestions.. it seems quite a few of us have this problem.. (party go-ers?) ;p

I would have to agree wth Antifruits (you hate fruits??) .. i have heard quite a number of good reviews for the ixus cam under low light conditions..

Can't decide still!! :bigeyes: Recently saw some adverts for Panasonic (i think) .. they advertised with photos showing different scenarios of low light conditions.

as the members has suggested the 5060 is a good enough cam. I don't think the 5060's flash is harsh, in fact I find it doesn't blow out the details when flash is used. Dam gd for long exposures.
But ur prob is prob low light+slow shutter+moving people? As 1 of the member has suggested, get a p&s fuji F10, turn up the iso to 400 800 1600 whatever, poof.

Status
Not open for further replies.