Best for money digital compact cameras......

Could anyone let me know which digital compact camera is the best. As I'm looking for a compact camera for my gf, she just want a simple compact camera which she could carry around and the appearance also not bad one? Is there anything you guys could intro me, best if the aperture could be at least f2.8. cos she like to shoot in low light too.

You can look into Canon S95 or Lumix LX5 for good digital compact cam. Shooting in low light as in scenery or group photos where you need flash? Depending on usage, may not even require the f2.8 although many digi cams have f2.8

some i can think of right off the bat since u did not state ur budget limit: leica x1, fujifilm x100, canon s95, panasonic lx5 n olympus xz-1. after that, take ur pick, read up reviews n find out the prices from reputable stores.

The Sony ones are good. Exmor-R ftw!

S95 is a great little compact. Worth every penny IMHO.

For a little more, get the best value for money compact digital cam your money can buy, the Ricoh GXR S10 kit.

While all major brands like Canon and Nikon dSLR kingpins who make compacts for extra pocket monies for desserts, the people at Ricoh camera division makes serious compacts only as their core rice bowl.

Do compare the GXR at a reputable retailer with LX5,XZ-1,G12,P7000 and you will know why.

Could anyone let me know which digital compact camera is the best. As I'm looking for a compact camera for my gf, she just want a simple compact camera which she could carry around and the appearance also not bad one? Is there anything you guys could intro me, best if the aperture could be at least f2.8. cos she like to shoot in low light too.

for about $500 would be something like the Samsung EX1 with f/1.8 max aperture.

We had a budget of $500 only any thing else and she normally like to take in low lighting

Low Lighting = either use Flash or set long shutter speed which many cameras already have these features (other than those full-auto ones). Your only minor issue here is to pick either full auto cameras or those prosumer cameras.

Full Auto
- can't change much settings, just snap, snap and snap. Most of the cameras under this category only have creative scene modes for you to play with. With my limited knowledge of pricing, I believe these cameras will fall under < $400 (or even $300). Do check out the recommended shops for the exact prices.

Prosumer
- Many of these have P,A,S,M,Auto modes which allows changing of settings depending on selection. This will allows you to have more control over your shots in terms of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Those models that I'm aware of are above $600

If your gf is going to stick to auto throughout the camera lifespan, I recommend that you get the full auto camera.

she'll most likely choose the slimmest, prettiest one.of course. it must be in pink right? :bsmilie:

that would be the sony TX series.

evil :devil:

stereotyping people.... :D

* anyway I think the Nikon D3S is quite simple and the appearance also not bad wan. Most important is the low-light performance is 'not bad'... ;)

Last edited:
ZerocoolAstra said:
evil :devil:

stereotyping people.... :D

* anyway I think the Nikon D3S is quite simple and the appearance also not bad wan. Most important is the low-light performance is 'not bad'... ;)

Black Kevin has appeared! :eek:

That one must add one more zero... :sweat:

Black Kevin has appeared! :eek:

That one must add one more zero... :sweat:

add 1 more zero to the budget?
But TS did not state budget.

I quote:
speedfactory said:
.....I'm looking for a compact camera for my gf, she just want a simple compact camera which she could carry around and the appearance also not bad one? Is there anything you guys could intro me, best if the aperture could be at least f2.8. cos she like to shoot in low light too.

D3S + 24/1.4.... settled.

* I sound like GOLD90FM, I know....

Yes he did...Refer to Post #9 of this thread...

hahaha yeah only later on after realizing that LX5 and S95 are >$500 :)

But anyway most have recommended liao.
It really depends on the gf's expectation on what the camera is supposed to deliver in 'low light', which itself is a vague description.