Best Flash Difusser for Events

Best Flash Difusser for Events

Results are only viewable after voting.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
With so many difusser out there, which one do you think is the best for indoor events like Weddings?

Best? None of the above, and all of the above.

Depends on what conditions and situations/results you want.

Some 'experts' I've read about use none, preferring to bounce instead and at most use a simple piece of foam or card.

U missed the WhaleTail. For me when taking stage events, i just set my flash to manual and set the require distance to flash power and shoot directly without any diffusers. This way u'll save a lot of battery power and thus enabling to burst more and take more.

trying to get someone to explain how the various flash accessories work...

can someone advice?

omni bounce, diffuser, bounce card....

i just use bounce flash....

If it's going to be a fast-paced event at a crowded place with a lot of jostling, use the Sto-Fen Omnibounce. Gary Fong products tend to be too easily knocked off, and it's a real hassle (not to mention really unglam) having to pick up the parts and fumble while you're trying to stick it back onto your flashgun again.

weddings - for posed portraits in bedroom/house, i can afford myself the time and luxury of using the lightsphere. on the go, it's usually the stofen, the in-built bounce card or just bouncing off walls and ceilings. i've never used full-on frontal flash sans diffuser.

and a lightsphere knocked off the flash and landing unceremoniously on the ground a few feet from you makes for a very embarrassing scene.... been there, done that.

It all depends on the location and the effect you want.

walls, ceilings, light-coloured shirts, curtains. sometimes the floor.

Just happened last friday when I was covering a wedding event, my lightsphere stumpled from the speedlight.:bsmilie:

Bounch off ceiling give bad effect as the ceiling is WOOD:dunno:

Just happened last friday when I was covering a wedding event, my lightsphere stumpled from the speedlight.:bsmilie:

If u want to use ceiling bounce, must take note of the colour of the ceiling as that will also determine the colour cast on your pics.

If it's going to be a fast-paced event at a crowded place with a lot of jostling, use the Sto-Fen Omnibounce. Gary Fong products tend to be too easily knocked off, and it's a real hassle (not to mention really unglam) having to pick up the parts and fumble while you're trying to stick it back onto your flashgun again.

weddings - for posed portraits in bedroom/house, i can afford myself the time and luxury of using the lightsphere. on the go, it's usually the stofen, the in-built bounce card or just bouncing off walls and ceilings. i've never used full-on frontal flash sans diffuser.

and a lightsphere knocked off the flash and landing unceremoniously on the ground a few feet from you makes for a very embarrassing scene.... been there, done that.

I agree about the lightsphere falling off part. One of the event participants had to help me pick it up because it rolled away :embrass:

i've used both the lightsphere and stofen.

i still feel that stofen is so much better to use during events. its light, it small and when you hang the camera down, it doesnt hit your face.

i will only use gary fong when i need to get really soft shadows and i have lots of space to move around. either that or i have to makeshift a studio setting without the lights and backdrop. but it doesnt happen often. its good to have, but events, the stofen. my settings are roughly f5, 1/50, ISO 500 and up, wb at cloudy.

my lightsphere doesnt drop out so often cos im using a 580 EX II. have to squeeze a little, but it keeps the grip in.:bsmilie:

i've used both the lightsphere and stofen.

i still feel that stofen is so much better to use during events. its light, it small and when you hang the camera down, it doesnt hit your face.

i will only use gary fong when i need to get really soft shadows and i have lots of space to move around. either that or i have to makeshift a studio setting without the lights and backdrop. but it doesnt happen often. its good to have, but events, the stofen. my settings are roughly f5, 1/50, ISO 500 and up, wb at cloudy.

my lightsphere doesnt drop out so often cos im using a 580 EX II. have to squeeze a little, but it keeps the grip in.:bsmilie:

But the stofen is not as versatile as the lightsphere.

Will using a good diffuser make me a better photographer? :embrass:

Will using a good diffuser make me a better photographer? :embrass:
definably,
you need a good camera, good lens, good lens hood, good flash, good CF cards, good batteries, good camera bag, good shoes....... everything must be good..

and one last thing, need a good brain.

i still use the gfls from time to time, and it really does reduce the harsh shadows. only disadvantage could be the weight i guess.

still, tons of people who dont know about gfls laugh at me when i use it during events. :bsmilie:

best is for a white ceiling to bounce against, not too high up (eg. church) for a good bounce.

probably no 1 mentions this....the flash diffuser can give your mobility a big discount especially when you are covering outdoor shots be it nature or portraitures in different weather condition.

When I'm in thick clothes for photo shoot, I very much prefer to use stofen. Only when I have an assistant or have absolutely nothing on my vests and not having a bag then I would like to use gary's as I can pay more attention to the bigger size.

of course your application is important but if u read gary's stuff, most of the time he shoot indoors, studio, have assistant around. You hardly see a nature or a outdoor shooter uses it....especially wedding or portraiture outdoor shots.

Check out this new ingenious product... i think we should call it the light bowl :bigeyes:

dsc6278db2.jpg

my opinion is gary fong if you can take the bulk, if not stofen.

tried a few, rounded up to this two.

Last edited: