Best filters around

Status
Not open for further replies.

satay16

Jan 14, 2006
my friend said that having bad filters will cause internal reflection. so what kind of brand or model has the best protective filters(those without special effects)? i have seen many people using some b+w filters, wondering why black and white filters are good?

B+W is a brand, it does not means Black and White ..... it is from schneider optics, DDR.

B+W UV filters are good, you can't go wrong with them. Alternatively, you can try Nikon NC filter. Or a cheaper alternative would be Hoya HMC UV filter.

catchlights said:

Singh-Ray filters are v good GND filters. Not to sure if they produce the thread starter's so called 'protective filter'; ie, UV, NC (neutral), etc.

are these kind of filters very expensive? if yes, what are the more commonly used "high quaility" protective filters that is within finaincal reach of most pp? and btw, what's GND?

yyD70S said:
Singh-Ray filters are v good GND filters. Not to sure if they produce the thread starter's so called 'protective filter'; ie, UV, NC (neutral), etc.

Obviously you have not click the link and read.

+evenstar said:
Graduated Neutral Density IIRC...

B+W MRC 77mm cost me $90 brand new, compared to HOYA $23

:eek: how does it compare to b+w?

So far the best filter I have used is Photoshop filters :bsmilie:

Anyway best filter is depend on your budget ...

catchlights said:
Obviously you have not click the link and read.

Yes, my apologies.

I always thought of them as GND. I paid a hefty premium for them.
As for protecting the front elements, I only use the Nikon NC. Very neutral.

How about sigma filters?? They are not cheap..

mtunlinn said:
How about sigma filters?? They are not cheap..
sigma filters? i've almost nv heard of them. i got my NC filters at $75 each.

72mm sigma UV filter will cost 65. The coating and finishing is great. Hoya have a few grades for UV filter. Cheapest one will cost 25 and most ex one is around 50. The latest one is Hoya Pro1 digital filter. It is a low profile one (very thin). The coating is different from others. More to green and blue colour while others are violet. I bought it for 65. How do u think of that one.

so if right now i want to get the best quality protective filters for all my lenses, which one do you all recommend? just want to here a brand and model.

oh... and what's the difference between the hoya clear and UV filter? which one do you recommend?

I am just a newbie. It was just my price research. I compared the reflection of fluorescent light, comparing which one reflects most. then i bought the Hoya Digital one. Basically the quality follows the price. Therefore, it depends solely on ur budget. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.