Best Film Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintertimeinnewyork

Jun 22, 2004
Hi fellow ClubSnappers,

I must be the newest member in this forum. Been reading the posts regularly and I must say that this forum is very useful & friendly.

I'm a PowerShot s45 user but lately, I have problems with shooting at night.. Pictures doesnt come out in true colors..

I've been thinking of getting a new film camera... nothing fancy, just a camera that can shoot great pictures... Any recs? Thanks. :)

WTINY

wintertimeinnewyork said:
Hi fellow ClubSnappers,

I must be the newest member in this forum. Been reading the posts regularly and I must say that this forum is very useful & friendly.

I'm a PowerShot s45 user but lately, I have problems with shooting at night.. Pictures doesnt come out in true colors..

I've been thinking of getting a new film camera... nothing fancy, just a camera that can shoot great pictures... Any recs? Thanks. :)

WTINY

Hi wintertimeinnewyork,

Think the S45 is quite a good digicam - were you using a tripod? Maybe you can post samples later.
I also suggest you put down a budget and list your shooting preferences so the members here can give you some proper advice/guidance

cheers

PS welcome to CS

Hi fellow ClubSnappers,

WTINY

contax T3 for point and shoot, the best you can get

Ektar25 said:
Hi wintertimeinnewyork,

Think the S45 is quite a good digicam - were you using a tripod? Maybe you can post samples later.
I also suggest you put down a budget and list your shooting preferences so the members here can give you some proper advice/guidance

cheers

PS welcome to CS

First of all, thanks for welcoming me to CS. :)

Indeed, I agree that the S45 is a superb camera. My main problem, I'm a professional bridal make-up artist.. and many times, I have lots of problems trying to "grab" the colors on my models' or brides' faces.

Eg: Recently, I gave a lady a makeover... and applied green smokey eyes on her. The colors on her eyes were gorgeous, but alas, after many attempts of shooting her on my S45, I *just* can't capture the true colors on my digicam. The pictures were either too bright... or too grey-ashish. And, no, I wasnt using a tripod. :(

My budget is between $100 - $200. I just want a camera which can take great shots of my models/brides esp at night...

WTINY

Indeed, I agree that the S45 is a superb camera. My main problem, I'm a professional bridal make-up artist.. and many times, I have lots of problems trying to "grab" the colors on my models' or brides' faces.

Eg: Recently, I gave a lady a makeover... and applied green smokey eyes on her. The colors on her eyes were gorgeous, but alas, after many attempts of shooting her on my S45, I *just* can't capture the true colors on my digicam. The pictures were either too bright... or too grey-ashish. And, no, I wasnt using a tripod. :(

My budget is between $100 - $200. I just want a camera which can take great shots of my models/brides esp at night...

WTINY

budget of $100-$200 to get a good film camera? What sort of camera are you thinking off? point and shoot? or SLR? With your stated budget, it's a better idea to use that money for accessories for your S45...

justarius said:
budget of $100-$200 to get a good film camera? What sort of camera are you thinking off? point and shoot? or SLR? With your stated budget, it's a better idea to use that money for accessories for your S45...

I was thinking of just getting a point & shoot camera. Nothing fancy, actually.

Come to think of it, I realised that film cameras are not cheap as well. :embrass:

WTINY

WTINY

your budget is too little.

if u want manual camera -> nikon fm3a. or the earlier models.

if u prefer more modern electronic camera -> eos30, f80, dynax7

my taste: talking about " best film camera" alone, i will cast my vote for eos 1v, 1n, f100. and nothign else. [eos3 too plasticky] :)

Belle&Sebastain said:
contax T3 for point and shoot, the best you can get

*drool*

I've just read a few reviews on this camera. *Very* tempting... but way too expensive for me. :(

WTINY

clive said:
your budget is too little.

if u want manual camera -> nikon fm3a. or the earlier models.

if u prefer more modern electronic camera -> eos30, f80, dynax7

my taste: talking about " best film camera" alone, i will cast my vote for eos 1v, 1n, f100. and nothign else. [eos3 too plasticky] :)

Hi Clive,

Yeah.. I realised my budget is way too low. Those cameras you listed above, are they good for "point & shoot"? I'm not a good photographer... I must admit... most times, I rely on my "Auto" & "Night-Shot" modes in my S45. :embrass:

WTINY

get a lomo!! it's the best you can get film camera because you never know what you gonna get! :D

akane said:
get a lomo!! it's the best you can get film camera because you never know what you gonna get! :D

good suggestion! i like the way you say "you never know what you gonna get!"!!!
:bsmilie:

anyways, wintertimeinnewyork... my suggestion is to stick to using your current camera and make the most of it. keep practising and experimenting till you achieve your desired result :thumbsup:

Hi Clive,

Yeah.. I realised my budget is way too low. Those cameras you listed above, are they good for "point & shoot"? I'm not a good photographer... I must admit... most times, I rely on my "Auto" & "Night-Shot" modes in my S45. :embrass:

WTINY

For that budget there is one good choice for a p+s film camera: Olympus Stylus/Miu (the non-zoom model, with a F2.8 lens)

With high speed portrait film, you can get good results at night/ indoors without flash.

fm3a, f80, eos30, dynax 7, 1v, 1n, f100...any one of them will be able to keep u occupied with film photography for many good years to come :)

WTINY

hi WTINY,

u can get a mint condition olympus mju II compact film camera for $100 or less. the quality of the pics is truly excellent. can definitely give the contax t3 a run for its money.

cheers,
:cool:

akane said:

LOL!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

LiOnElLiN said:
good suggestion! i like the way you say "you never know what you gonna get!"!!!
:bsmilie:

anyways, wintertimeinnewyork... my suggestion is to stick to using your current camera and make the most of it. keep practising and experimenting till you achieve your desired result :thumbsup:

I love my S45 really.. but it's a lil' embarassing at times to not be able to get good shots... hehe. I've been reading the manual religiously for the past few weeks... but the learning process is rather slow.. :embrass:

Thanks for your encouragement... I'll keep on practising... but in the meantime, before I can fully utilise my S45, I *still* have to get a good P&S camera.. hehe.

WTINY

LKSC said:
For that budget there is one good choice for a p+s film camera: Olympus Stylus/Miu (the non-zoom model, with a F2.8 lens)

With high speed portrait film, you can get good results at night/ indoors without flash.

Ahah! *writes down LKSC's recommendations* Thanks!

Will draw up a list before buying a new P&S camera. :)

WTINY

I love my S45 really.. but it's a lil' embarassing at times to not be able to get good shots... hehe. I've been reading the manual religiously for the past few weeks... but the learning process is rather slow.. :embrass:

Thanks for your encouragement... I'll keep on practising... but in the meantime, before I can fully utilise my S45, I *still* have to get a good P&S camera.. hehe.

WTINY

in that case, i'd recommend elevating your budget a little more and getting the cheapest 2nd hand canon slr and a 50mm f1.8!
if portraits of brides with their make up is what you'll mostly be shooting, the 50mm will be an excellent lens!

zaren said:
hi WTINY,

u can get a mint condition olympus mju II compact film camera for $100 or less. the quality of the pics is truly excellent. can definitely give the contax t3 a run for its money.

cheers,
:cool:

Ahah! *writes down zaren's recommendation*

An Olympus Mju II... Are you referring to the Zoom 80 or Zoom 170 (whatever that means... :embrass: )? Thanks!!

WTINY

LiOnElLiN said:
in that case, i'd recommend elevating your budget a little more and getting the cheapest 2nd hand canon slr and a 50mm f1.8!
if portraits of brides with their make up is what you'll mostly be shooting, the 50mm will be an excellent lens!

Hmmmm. Point noted. What's the approximate price range of a 2nd hand canon slr with a 50mm lens??

But, then again, you have to remember, the person who'll be shooting the pictures is an absolute idiot. :D

I have to shout out my RESPECT to all ClubSnapers! You people are terrific & camera-savy. :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WTINY

Status
Not open for further replies.