Best Film Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
LKSC said:
Youre welcome WTINY (BTW, are you in NY?)

On the subject of camera shake, one accessory that I have found very useful for getting a steady shot at night is something called "The Pod" (http://www.thepod.ca/content/pod.html).

Photographers have for a long time been using bean bags to support their cameras. The twist with "The Pod" is there is a standard 1/4 inch screw attached to the bean bag so your camera can be screwed on. You can then use any hard surface as support for your pod and camera (wall, door, table, chair, staircase railing, side view mirror). Its very versatile and cheaper than a good tripod and Ive gotten excellent results with it. But be aware that unless your subect is posing, the image of your subject may still be blurred if shutter speed drops below 1/8s (most people just cant stay still for long)

Nope... Not in NY.. sigh.. but I love NY, who doesn't right? :)

The Pod *is* interesting. I had briefly surfed through the site. Tempted to buy it... but I don't think they ship it to Singapore, no?

My models are *scared* of me.. LOL! They normally freeze whenever I whipped out my S45... I think they're scared of the person holding the camera who normally swears silently after each unsatisfactory shot. :D

WTINY

wintertimeinnewyork said:
Nope... Not in NY.. sigh.. but I love NY, who doesn't right? :)

The Pod *is* interesting. I had briefly surfed through the site. Tempted to buy it... but I don't think they ship it to Singapore, no?

My models are *scared* of me.. LOL! They normally freeze whenever I whipped out my S45... I think they're scared of the person holding the camera who normally swears silently after each unsatisfactory shot. :D

WTINY

You can buy it from Amazon or BHPhoto. I had mine shipped via VPOSTUSA (www.VPOST.com.sg) and it was about $60, including shipping.

sumball said:
In the first place, what make you think that a P&S film cam can outperform your S45? SOmeone told you that or it had alread in your mind telling yourself that film is forever beating digital?

The fact is if you couldn't take a good pic using your S45, the problem is not purely from the cam, there are too many reasons to explain this...

My suggestion for you is to understand your cam, read the manual, show ppl your pic (here?) with your setting set, ppl here might be able to help you.

Frankly speaking, I think S45 is a good digicam indeed. And there is no way a $200 compact P&S cam can beat this baby in any way...

Sometimes, why ppl still prefer compact film cam cos they are easy to use but nowadays, the digicams in the market are too "powerful", they let you set the setting yourselves instead of setting by the camera's in-build computer. Thats y very ofter, ppl get blurred pic or under/over-exposed pic when they are using digicam and claim tat the cam is not as good as the compact film cam.

Just my 2 cents cos i see too many ppl cant take good pic using the advanced digicam whereas can deliver reasonable good pic when using compact P&S film cam,... simply because these ppl dont know their camera. :dunno:

Hope you dun get offended. ;)

Partly, I agree with you that many ppl does not understand to use their digicams well.
But the real fact is that, a digicam having a CCD as small as a pea can't compared to a high-quality Point-and-shoot camera (Leica Minilux, Contax T-series, Ricoh GR-series, Minolta TC-1 and many others).
Try to blow up pics taken with both digicams and those high quality Point-and-shoots that I mentioned to 8 X 10 or larger and you will sure to see the difference!

XXX Boy said:
Partly, I agree with you that many ppl does not understand to use their digicams well.
But the real fact is that, a digicam having a CCD as small as a pea can't compared to a high-quality Point-and-shoot camera (Leica Minilux, Contax T-series, Ricoh GR-series, Minolta TC-1 and many others).
Try to blow up pics taken with both digicams and those high quality Point-and-shoots that I mentioned to 8 X 10 or larger and you will sure to see the difference!

I agree with you that there are yet to have a digital camera which its quality(limited to the MP) can beat the film (especially if the photos are to blow up to 8 x 10) wihch have at least 40MP compare to the digital (cant remember the actual MP.... something ard there i think, correct me pls) even the worst film in the world..

But WTINY's budget is only $100-$200 (simply a consumer P&S) not the one that you are referring like
XXX Boy said:
........(Leica Minilux, Contax T-series, Ricoh GR-series, Minolta TC-1 and many others).....

and we are not comparing the CCD/CMOS sensor with the film, simply talking abt the camera itself (as mentioned in WTINY's subject).

Hope I made myself clear here.... anyway, I still shooting film especially the slides, which dslr can give me the result from velvia, provia? no? :dunno:

:bsmilie:

for better skins tones....try using spot metering....dunno if ya dc has it...

Your camera is a capable camera. I have seen many good shots taken with a compact digital camera like yours. Buying a new camera will not solve your problems. IMHO you should focus more on increasing your photography knowledge rather than buying a new camera. It is better to spend that 200 bucks on photography books. What's even better is you may not even need to spend any money, because there are very many photography web sites on the internet that you can learn from.

hey hey....maybe u wanna join us in an outing wif ya s45 and we try to figure out ya problems??? haha

Witness said:
for better skins tones....try using spot metering....dunno if ya dc has it...

I'm not sure whtr my S45 got spot-metering. Will check out the manual soon. Thanks! :)

WTINY

SilentWave said:
Your camera is a capable camera. I have seen many good shots taken with a compact digital camera like yours. Buying a new camera will not solve your problems. IMHO you should focus more on increasing your photography knowledge rather than buying a new camera. It is better to spend that 200 bucks on photography books. What's even better is you may not even need to spend any money, because there are very many photography web sites on the internet that you can learn from.

Hi SilentWave,

You're quite right... I've been trying out the suggestions posted by all CLubsnappers on my S45... to improve my handling *skills* :D on my digicam. However, I do want to get a good P&S camera as a back-up whenever my *skills* disappear.

WTINY

wintertimeinnewyork said:
Hi fellow ClubSnappers,

I must be the newest member in this forum. Been reading the posts regularly and I must say that this forum is very useful & friendly.

I'm a PowerShot s45 user but lately, I have problems with shooting at night.. Pictures doesnt come out in true colors..

I've been thinking of getting a new film camera... nothing fancy, just a camera that can shoot great pictures... Any recs? Thanks. :)

WTINY

I never know of a camera that can shoot great pictures.

Witness said:
hey hey....maybe u wanna join us in an outing wif ya s45 and we try to figure out ya problems??? haha

Hi Witness, that's a great idea actually. I would love to join you people during one of your outings. I need more knowledge!! :)

WTINY

Hello everyone who have been religiously helping me out in this particular thread.... First of all, I must extend my sincere thank-yous to you guys who have been very patient with me and who gave useful advise and recommendations.

As promised, I've been tinkering around with my S45 last night.. and guess what... I was overwhelmed with its functions and capabilities. Since I got this camera a year ago, I've been relying on the Auto and Night-Shot modes to shoot pictures. I've tried out lutz's tips and will even take up LKSC's recommendation of getting The Pod.

Lutz's tips worked great and by shooting a couple of pics of myself, I was able to see a *truer* image (my skintone looked almost true-to-color)... Will try to shoot my model on Saturday night for an actual test-drive.

Lastly, after reading the posts & recommendations, I've my eye set on buying the Olympus Mju II (the one with the fixed lens) to supplement me in my times of need.

Once again, thanks to everyone who had helped me in one way or another. Really appreciate it! Thanks y'all! :)

This thread can be closed... or it can be kept open for future discussions about film cameras.

WTINY

Opps...

Forgot to add, I've also printed out this particular thread for my reference and be rest assured, all tips will be tried out by yours truly. Thanks again! :)

WTINY

maddog said:
Kyocera T4

Should be close to 300 bucks. It's got an excellent lens.

Alamak brudder! You want to tempt me with more film cameras... :sweat:

My decision to buy a film camera is not fixed.. I'm still open to recommendations of good film cameras.. but the price range should be ard $150 - $250plusplus (see... I've upped my budget a bit more now).

Think I can afford to save a bit more while I get myself acquainted with my S45. :)

WTINY

Status
Not open for further replies.