Best fast zoom lens

obfuscate

Nov 20, 2008
Like to find out from Pentax users what is the best fast zoom for use with a Kx? I am planning to get a Kx and was originally thinking of using a 35/2, but figured out that there will be the occasions when the zoom will be needed. I don't plan to keep either the lens or the camera when I am back as my preference will be to get the K7 replacement and the DA limited lenses, as such will be selling these off.

why sell the lens since it can be used on the k-7 replacement as well.

think maybe you can specify your preferred focal and budget range for our seniors/experts to recommend =)

My preferred focal range is 28mm to 50mm, love the 40mm focal length most.

When I was asking about a fast zoom, I was thinking of the Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.

The best fast zoom lenses are these dual: FA*28-70/2.8 and FA*80-200/2.8

FA_2870_80200_HoodsOn.jpg

The next best ones are these twins: DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-1325/2.8:

Pentax_K10D_50135_1650_1.jpg

Last edited:
They're like best friends forever~

The best fast zoom lenses are these dual: FA*28-70/2.8 and FA*80-200/2.8

The next best ones are these twins: DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-1325/2.8:

FW,you helped Pentax to come out with a new lens ar?:think:

Thanks bro, but I don't think I will be buying the Pentax zooms until I see how the K7 replacement performs. Anyone here have experience with the Tamrons, Tokinas and Sigmas?

Thanks bro, but I don't think I will be buying the Pentax zooms until I see how the K7 replacement performs. Anyone here have experience with the Tamrons, Tokinas and Sigmas?

Sorry, but I don't see your logic here. Care to elaborate?

If you have the budget, DA*16-50/2.8 or DA*50-135/2.8.
Weather Sealing; arguably the best multi-coating (SMC); and certainly better build quality than Sigma and Tamron.
There are of course the exotic and fantastic FA* that Fengwei has mentioned :)

For the 3rd party options
Tamron :
17-50/2.8
28-75/2.8
70-200/2.8

Sigma :
18-50/2.8
24-70/2.8
50-150/2.8 (relatively unknown here in SGP; Anyone care to comment on this one?)
70-200/2.8

Sorry, but I don't see your logic here. Care to elaborate?

If you have the budget, DA*16-50/2.8 or DA*50-135/2.8.
Weather Sealing; arguably the best multi-coating (SMC); and certainly better build quality than Sigma and Tamron.
There are of course the exotic and fantastic FA* that Fengwei has mentioned :)

For the 3rd party options
Tamron :
17-50/2.8
28-75/2.8
70-200/2.8

Sigma :
18-50/2.8
24-70/2.8
50-150/2.8 (relatively unknown here in SGP; Anyone care to comment on this one?)
70-200/2.8

It's just a personal preference. I have been a Pentax user previously, back in the days of the DS and K100D super. I have used the 31, 77, both 35s, 16-45, 20-35, 50 and somewhere along the way switched out to Nikon when my kids started to become extremely mobile. DSLRs then took a back seat as it wasn't possible for me to carry one everywhere I went, so m4/3s are my constant companions now. As I will be going for a family holiday in about two weeks later to Tokyo, and knowing that the Kx is really cheap there plus it's really a great camera, I decided to get one as the dynamic range and low ISO will beat the pants off my m4/3. It's really like taking a step back to DSLRs cause my kids are now happy to keep still to pose for me, but I am not sure if I am ready to do this so don't plan to spend too much for now.

It's just a personal preference. I have been a Pentax user previously, back in the days of the DS and K100D super. I have used the 31, 77, both 35s, 16-45, 20-35, 50 and somewhere along the way switched out to Nikon when my kids started to become extremely mobile. DSLRs then took a back seat as it wasn't possible for me to carry one everywhere I went, so m4/3s are my constant companions now. As I will be going for a family holiday in about two weeks later to Tokyo, and knowing that the Kx is really cheap there plus it's really a great camera, I decided to get one as the dynamic range and low ISO will beat the pants off my m4/3. It's really like taking a step back to DSLRs cause my kids are now happy to keep still to pose for me, but I am not sure if I am ready to do this so don't plan to spend too much for now.

Ah!
Good for you to have grown up kids :D

The Tamron and Sigma lenses should serve your purpose. Just make sure you test them for FF/BF issues before you buy (its a MUST if you ask me). ;)

Ah!
Good for you to have grown up kids :D

The Tamron and Sigma lenses should serve your purpose. Just make sure you test them for FF/BF issues before you buy (its a MUST if you ask me). ;)

Sigh, sian 1/2 to hear this.

Have a Tamron 17-50 and 70-200. Recommended :)

Try the tamron 17-50 f2.8, it's really value for money. Beside it offer 3 yrs warranty. So nothing much to work abt

Do join us in the outings. Can "borrow" lenses to see which are your preferred lenses so can slowly switch over from m4/3.

Hey little brother, you really got SHARP eyes leh. You should go for macros :bsmilie:

But I always believe you. if you say 1325mm lens, then I will look out for a Bazooka like attachment with the words "Pentax" on it. :bsmilie: BTW, someone asked me this question: Is there such a thing as a zoom lens with aperture faster than f/2.8? I don't remember coming across one for pentax or any other make. :think:

But I always believe you. if you say 1325mm lens, then I will look out for a Bazooka like attachment with the words "Pentax" on it. :bsmilie: BTW, someone asked me this question: Is there such a thing as a zoom lens with aperture faster than f/2.8? I don't remember coming across one for pentax or any other make. :think:

Olympus 14-35 f/2 and 35-100 f/2 :thumbsup:

Thanks Richard for your trust :)

As far as I can remember, other than some fast Oly lenses, the only SLR lens which has wider aperture (not faster btw ;)) than F2.8 is the Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8.