Best f-stop for Group Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

miniUltraman

Feb 27, 2006
Dear all - What the your recommendation on f-stop for Group Company Photo indoor w/o tripod but with external flash?
Let say about 20 persons standing at a lobby in 3 rolls... Does f5.6 enough to get everyone's face sharp? I will probably just focus the centre? :sweatsm:

First time doing that and probably can't get them all standing there while I trial and error :sweat: Thanks!!!

You just need to get the center ppl eyes sharp can le. Its quite natural to see photos getting blurred radially out (Your eyes works this way anyway.) :)

Dear all - What the your recommendation on f-stop for Group Company Photo indoor w/o tripod but with external flash?
Let say about 20 persons standing at a lobby in 3 rolls... Does f5.6 enough to get everyone's face sharp? I will probably just focus the centre? :sweatsm:

First time doing that and probably can't get them all standing there while I trial and error :sweat: Thanks!!!

It is also difficult to say cos also donno what make of flash you are using. If you really want, f22 is best lah. But donno how's the shutter speed gonna be like. :bsmilie:

It is also difficult to say cos also donno what make of flash you are using. If you really want, f22 is best lah. But donno how's the shutter speed gonna be like. :bsmilie:
He want to use external flash...

Regards,
Arto.

thanks for the advise. I am using Canon 580EX. f22 :sweat: then the whole group must freeze for few secs :rolleyes:

it depends on where u r shooting oso..like indoor or outdoor, and the ambience light u have..

i would say f/8-f/16 would be very appropriate..but the smallest number u can go is probably f/5.6..

another trick is to shoot wide open (e.g f/2.8-f/3.5) but u must move to a point that u can manual focus to infinity..then do cropping..:bsmilie: results not garaunteed..

Megaweb - This is good http://tpmc.fotopic.net/p19689994.html. May you share your settings? Do you point your flash facing them or 90 degrees vertical? I have a lightsphere, does it help for such photo?

Megaweb - This is good http://tpmc.fotopic.net/p19689994.html. May you share your settings? Do you point your flash facing them or 90 degrees vertical? I have a lightsphere, does it help for such photo?
forget the settings ( will check this evening ), the setup was ext. flash point 90 degree upward wiith lightsphere.

forget the settings ( will check this evening ), the setup was ext. flash point 90 degree upward wiith lightsphere.
With dome on? It looks like high ceiling so dome not required ? :dunno:

With dome on? It looks like high ceiling so dome not required ? :dunno:
No dome. There is a low ceiling which allow me to bounce the flash.

If the ceiling is very high, you cannot bounce the flash. So recommend to tilt the flash forward 60-70 degree or shoot directly front.

No dome. There is a low ceiling which allow me to bounce the flash.

If the ceiling is very high, you cannot bounce the flash. So recommend to tilt the flash forward 60-70 degree or shoot directly front.

Very helpful. Thanks :thumbsup: I am actually confused cos' Gary Fong advise to put the dome on for low ceiling while remove the dome for high ceiling. (I get to think that the dome prevents too much bounce for low ceiling)...

Do you use E-TTL most of the time for such shots?

Still will matter lah. WAit f:22 sshutter speed donno what le.

Do you use E-TTL most of the time for such shots?

Yes, I use E-TTL. Nowsaday I dun use lightsphere as it looks bulky and get attention. I use flash with omni-bounce tilt 70 degree forward for high ceiling short distance shots.

Same here, Omnibounce is very good. But I prefer the colour and contrast of direct flash. But will have shadow problem. Unless I use CLS.

Yes, I use E-TTL. Nowsaday I dun use lightsphere as it looks bulky and get attention. I use flash with omni-bounce tilt 70 degree forward for high ceiling short distance shots.

actually I agree with you... lightsphere gets so much attention definitely :sweat: Maybe I should also get the omni-bounce :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.