Best display for Mac and where to get it

timo

Jun 10, 2005
Serangoon Ave. 4
www.pbase.com
My trusty iMac has failed after eight years solid use and three house moves. Not worth repairing - fortunately I backed up.

I will get a Mac Mini, as that's more easily transportable.

The question is: what display/screen?

I have been told that panels identical to the Apple displays are available under other brands, and are cheaper. I'm thinking 27-inch or so. Does anyone have any experience of alternatives to the Apple screens, and any idea where they are available in Singapore?

Thanks.

Tim

(cross-posted in Pentax forum)

I know this is not a specifically Pentax question, but you guys are all experts on everything, so …

My trusty iMac has failed after eight years solid use and three house moves. Not worth repairing - fortunately I backed up.

I will get a Mac Mini, as that's more easily transportable.

The question is: what display/screen?

I have been told that panels identical to the Apple displays are available under other brands, and are cheaper. I'm thinking 27-inch or so. Does anyone have any experience of alternatives to the Apple screens, and any idea where they are available in Singapore?

Thanks.

Tim

(cross-posted in Equipment (Other) forum)

Dell ultraSharp series.

dell link

or Eizo

eizo talk

Colour_Management_Seminar_Ads.jpg

Does anyone know if Mac Mini come with Retina display as an option?

No, Retina 5k display was just introduced to iMac 27" last month. Apple Thunderbolt display has not been updated.

haha, your thread moved to digital darkroom forum, which means it hardly will been seen and answered later. ;)

anyway, hope TO find out his answer soon.

haha, your thread moved to digital darkroom forum, which means it hardly will been seen and answered later. ;)

anyway, hope TO find out his answer soon.

Well, mustn't argue with the enforcers of forum discipline!

But yes, the thread is now destined to near-total obscurity.

Actually i was thinking of getting mac mini and a good display monitor too haha.

Dell 5k is a whopping SGD2.5k which in my opinion too expensive, might as well go straight into retina imac.

I was looking at Dell U2713HM previously and now theres a new model that replaces U2713HM call U2715H.
Maybe TS can take a look at these 2 monitors. I believe both monitors are under SGD900.

Actually i was thinking of getting mac mini and a good display monitor too haha.

Dell 5k is a whopping SGD2.5k which in my opinion too expensive, might as well go straight into retina imac.

I was looking at Dell U2713HM previously and now theres a new model that replaces U2713HM call U2715H.
Maybe TS can take a look at these 2 monitors. I believe both monitors are under SGD900.

They are not replacements for each other. The U2713H and U2713HM are 2 separate models. Here is a site that points out the differences.
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/468...d-is-so-2012-dell-ultrasharp-u2713h-a-u2713hm

I am using the HM myself and it is more than capable. HM cost around $750 nowadays, and the H costs around 900.

Last edited:
They are not replacements for each other. The U2713H and U2713HM are 2 separate models. Here is a site that points out the differences. http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4689/9/14-wqhd-monitors-group-test-full-hd-is-so-2012-dell-ultrasharp-u2713h-a-u2713hm I am using the HM myself and it is more than capable. HM cost around $750 nowadays, and the H costs around 900.

Ohh cause I see from other forums they are mentioning U2715H is sort of like a "replacement" for U2713HM :)

By the way, sorry guys the Dell 5k display monitor is USD2.5k not SGD2.5k, my bad! >.<