Best City In Australia

Best City In Australia

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best City in Australia, IMO in terms of...
ease of transport >>> Melbourne
variety of food >>> Melbourne
entertainment >>> Melbourne
livelihood >>> Melbourne
business >>> Sydney
coastal fun >>> beaches along coast of Queenland & New South Wales
scenic photography >>> States of Victoria & Tasmania

Just my contribution...
6143TAS-Stanley02-med.jpg

Photo taken during my 2-mth trip in Sep~Oct 2001.

SimonGoh said:
livelihood >>> Melbourne
business >>> Sydney

Just my contribution...

i disagree with you on the ease of transport.. despite being here for a while and having encountered many hook-turns, it still gives me headaches... :dunno: :dunno:

GDSNP said:
i disagree with you on the ease of transport.. despite being here for a while and having encountered many hook-turns, it still gives me headaches... :dunno: :dunno:
I guess I should have added 'cheaper transport cost'.

Melbourne city is well connected by its own tram & rail system.
As a visitor I could almost get to any where I wish to.
As a visitor I can almost hop on & hop off the trams without paying for a single fare, provided I sit near the ticket machine (in case the ticket inspectors would suddenly board the tram). Even better if the tram is crowded. Ticket inspectors are usually willing to forgive you if you find trouble getting the right fare.
Some out-laying stations do not have ticket inspectors at the exits. One might just pay for the minimum, and then ride the trains to those points which is known to have lax inspectors.
During my 10 days in Melbourne 3 years ago, I paid for only 3 rides out of 10.

I was in Sydney that same period and was putting up at my brother's place in the southern end of Sydney. I timed my public transport trip from the bus-stop near his house to Sutherland station, to Central station, and finally to Bondi Beach. The whole journey took me one and a half hours including waiting time. Mind you transport cost was also higher.

SimonGoh said:
I guess I should have added 'cheaper transport cost'.

Melbourne city is well connected by its own tram & rail system.
As a visitor I could almost get to any where I wish to.
As a visitor I can almost hop on & hop off the trams without paying for a single fare, provided I sit near the ticket machine (in case the ticket inspectors would suddenly board the tram). Even better if the tram is crowded. Ticket inspectors are usually willing to forgive you if you find trouble getting the right fare.
Some out-laying stations do not have ticket inspectors at the exits. One might just pay for the minimum, and then ride the trains to those points which is known to have lax inspectors.
During my 10 days in Melbourne 3 years ago, I paid for only 3 rides out of 10.

I was in Sydney that same period and was putting up at my brother's place in the southern end of Sydney. I timed my public transport trip from the bus-stop near his house to Sutherland station, to Central station, and finally to Bondi Beach. The whole journey took me one and a half hours including waiting time. Mind you transport cost was also higher.

Public transport in Australia is not cheap. I remember taking cab from Airport to my home in Frankston and it costs about A$100?

However, for visitors, the trams are generally quite good and cheap, especially the city tram (brown colour) that goes in circles around all the attractions. (you don't need to run from inspectors as it's totally free)

Melbourne. Definitely!!!!!! :bsmilie:

I lived there for 9 years.....wish I'm there now..... :cry:

best place for living..... :lovegrin:

SimonGoh said:

So you were taking a bus to Sutherland station, a train to Central, another train to Bondi Junction and another bus to Bondi Beach? I guess this is the only way to go to Bondi Beach by public transport.

Don't know about how is it like taking a bus, a train, another train and another bus in another part of the world in a similar distance.

But but why travel to Bondi Beach for an overrated crowded beach? There are so many beautiful beaches in the south. Cronulla Beach and Gunnamatta Bay are two immediate names that come to mind.

SimonGoh said:
livelihood >>> Melbourne
business >>> Sydney

Just my contribution...
6143TAS-Stanley02-med.jpg

Buddy,

Where was this taken?

Sion said:
So you were taking a bus to Sutherland station, a train to Central, another train to Bondi Junction and another bus to Bondi Beach? I guess this is the only way to go to Bondi Beach by public transport.

Don't know about how is it like taking a bus, a train, another train and another bus in another part of the world in a similar distance.

But but why travel to Bondi Beach for an overrated crowded beach? There are so many beautiful beaches in the south. Cronulla Beach and Gunnamatta Bay are two immediate names that come to mind.
I guess the transport route you described should be correct. Forgot how I went about then already.

Bondi Beach naturally came to my mind when I was looking for a place to shoot. I knew there's a lot more places in Sydney but at that point in time I was just thinking about Bondi.

I even covered Watsons Bay, a place called Lady Knox and guess what I discovered?

nemesis32 said:
Public transport in Australia is not cheap. I remember taking cab from Airport to my home in Frankston and it costs about A$100?

However, for visitors, the trams are generally quite good and cheap, especially the city tram (brown colour) that goes in circles around all the attractions. (you don't need to run from inspectors as it's totally free)
I meant by "cheaper transport rides" in terms of tram rides only.
I've encountered twice ticket inspections, and so its not totally free.

I love sydney! Place where i meet cute giggling girls on the streets when they see me walking around with a camera and video cam. :bsmilie:

Perth is nice place. If there was no sydney i would take Perth. Guys should check out Rockhampton's airport when the SAF guys fly in....not check out the guys but the number of girls hanging out at the airport when our airforce dudes fly in. :think:

hahhaha

nemesis32 said:
It's not vague. It's general. I would be impossible to list down all the possibilities and best in whatever etc.

I just want people to vote for what they think is the best city and why. That's all, pure and simple.

That case I vote for Perth. $350 return by Valuair. Weather not so extreme, good wines, good supply of asian food ingredients, cheap golf, what else do you want? ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.