Best Canon Lens for Food Photography?

Any really, though a macro lens may come in handy.

no best,
like what Rashkae had mentioned. any lens is fine, and if you want to get closer, get a macro lens.

thanks for the advice guys.

@ Gerald: your pics on food photography are amazing. Great shots, all of them. thanks again

You'd need macro capability, so you'd either need a macro lens, or add on a close-up filter or extension tube with a regular zoom lens with some close-up capability. Most lenses can achieve the close-up reproduction for normal food photography quite easily, so you needn't worry too much about that. Ensure that you have sufficient working distance to avoid casting shadow over your subject (food), and decide how much background you want for your food shots. Some people prefer more background details, so a 50mm macro lens will be ideal. Others prefer more isolated shots, so 100mm macro lens will be good for that.

Either way, pay more attention to your lighting than your choice of lens. That'll make or break a food shot more than anything else.

I am also trying out food photography and am using 24-105 f/4 L for it. Just standard zoom lens, no special. I think the same can be achieved with the kit lens too. :)

You'd need macro capability, so you'd either need a macro lens, or add on a close-up filter or extension tube with a regular zoom lens with some close-up capability. Most lenses can achieve the close-up reproduction for normal food photography quite easily, so you needn't worry too much about that. Ensure that you have sufficient working distance to avoid casting shadow over your subject (food), and decide how much background you want for your food shots. Some people prefer more background details, so a 50mm macro lens will be ideal. Others prefer more isolated shots, so 100mm macro lens will be good for that.

Either way, pay more attention to your lighting than your choice of lens. That'll make or break a food shot more than anything else.

:thumbsup:

And the food styling. ;-)

Last edited:
For a crop sensor camera like yours, consider the very-underrated & modestly-priced 50mm f/2.5 macro.

Oh dear ... my bad. :embrass:

Just do a search for 'lens for food photography' in CS.

It's been asked for countless times.

I once contributed in a several thread many moons ago, but that fact is, if members are NOT specific about what they want to achieve and under what conditions, we can only recommend a 8mm fish-eye to a 180mm macro lens and anything else in between. :)

Sides, the food styling and lighting takes ultimate precedence (for food). Equipment is a far secondary, though it's still important at a higher level. ;)

I am also trying out food photography and am using 24-105 f/4 L for it. Just standard zoom lens, no special. I think the same can be achieved with the kit lens too. :)

The 24-105 is a kit lens... :)

The 24-105 is a kit lens... :)

Haha no doubt bout that but it is a very expensive kit lens :) Anyway I think that macro lenses will be good? I tried taking products with my 24-70 and I think that when I zoom in and crop, somehow the details are lost, mainly this is more suited for event shooting I do not know, but yea like some other members had said, macro lens would definitely come in handy :)

canon 24-70L is definitely a good choice.

I was using 50mm 1.8 (45cm focus length ) previous for personal dining food shots, however sometimes e venue is inappropriate for standing up just to take food pic, thus may be a problem..

So decided on 24-70, very close-up range and e sharpness without zoom in already amazed me =)

personally prefer a macro or prime... you can always start with the very affordable and good quality 50 1.8 and upgrade to a 100 f/2.8 macro... take your time and enjoy the shoot :)

somehow, i like my S90 (28mm equivalent lens, f/2.0, 5cm macro). seems like i can't find a DSLR lens that replicates the 28mm wide angle-of-view + 5 cm macro perspective.

professional food photographers normally use a 90 mm tilt-shift lens