Best camera for continuous shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpie

Mar 11, 2004
Singapore
Hi,
I currently use a Fuji S602, its continous mode can shoot 5 fps (first 5 frames or last 5 within 8 secs) at 3 megapixels (or interpolate to 6mp).

I would like to upgrade to a higher megapixel camera (SLR or SLR like), but somehow they all seem to have very low continuous mode ratings.

I also like the handiness of video capture at 640x480 with sound & unlimited-time. Somehow I don't see these features in newer cameras.

Am I missing something here?

alpie said:
Hi,
I currently use a Fuji S602, its continous mode can shoot 5 fps (first 5 frames or last 5 within 8 secs) at 3 megapixels (or interpolate to 6mp).

I would like to upgrade to a higher megapixel camera (SLR or SLR like), but somehow they all seem to have very low continuous mode ratings.

I also like the handiness of video capture at 640x480 with sound & unlimited-time. Somehow I don't see these features in newer cameras.

Am I missing something here?
Continuous mode? The 1D Mark II can shoot at 8.5 fps! almost a movie... SLRs don't have movie mode...

4500 USD +sales tax :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

That's a pretty big jump from my 300 USD worth S602 :bsmilie:
No wonder there are not many S602s for sale. People! hold onto your S602s as they are unique! :thumbsup:

Maybe Fuji can come up with a reasonably priced high megapixel camera with features similar to those of S602. S7000 was a disappointment...

Hey Fuji!!! Hear my voice!!! We need a 6-8MP camera with 28-xx zoom lens, 5 fps at least 5 frames, 640x480 unlimited video, up to 800 ISO, good size CCD, under 1000 USD.

And it shouldn't weigh 2 kgs :bsmilie:
It is eventually a camera for taking family pictures...
Cheers!

Why do you need so high a frame rate? You might find that a digital video camera with a still capture feature might be of more use to you. :D

justarius said:
Why do you need so high a frame rate? You might find that a digital video camera with a still capture feature might be of more use to you. :D
yea true... then DV cam can also take pics! Good idea justarius!

Well, with a D70 and Ultra II card, you can whack all the way past 100 frames @ 3fps, largest resolution but in middle quality. Each file is around 1.5-2MB. For fast paced events, action shots, instances that the action drags on for a long period (eg bride throwing the bouquet to the sisters, all the way from pre-throw to reaction of the sisters after catching it), i also rarely go past 30 frames in real life lar.

Actually, what can you shoot for 1 second at 5fps and then you run into a full buffer?

:) Okay... let me explain.

I sometimes take pictures during football matches. 1-2 FPS is not fast enough to capture the action. You know football...

I have a DV cam, but its resolution is around 1 megapixels. Sometimes even 3 MP is not good enough. As the game is very dynamic, I need to capture a relatively large area, then crop the picture where action happens. That's why I am looking for high megapixel camera. With S602, after cropping I may lose the details.

I'm no sports expert but I think anticipation of the action, focus trapping and knowledge of the game is alot more important to getting your shot than fps.

Just my 2cents worth. :D

If I could anticipate the action so well, I was making millions of dollars as a goalkeeper ;-)

Then the photographers from those sports magazines should become goalkeepers...

It's easier to move your camera then to move your whole body, yah? ;)

What justarius says is not wrong. Cropping is an essential technique for sports photography, but I suggest you work on techniques instead of relying too much on hardware. At least you'll still be able to survive in the event someone hands you another camera to document the event.

A decent DSLR (e.g. D70 or 10D, or even a 300D) will serve your needs well.

Many thanks for the advices. It seems D70 is the way to go.

well it's pretty much easy to decide.. high frame rate cameras are expensive.

so if u can't afford it, u'd have to forgo high frame rate.

if u REALLY need high frame rate, pay the $$.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.