Best camera bag for cam + 3 lenses + tripod

pkhunter

Oct 6, 2008
Hi

I currently have a lowepro 200, black. It looks nice enough and has been functional for carrying camera + 1 lens.

But it's now not enough as I do like to travel with 3-4 lenses I own, plus a tripod.

Is there a bag out there that will:

1. Carry Nikon D300, and three bulky lenses, tripod
2. Be rain proof
3. Not look hideous (some "Donkey" brand for example in ugly yellow color)
4. Need not give me space laptop or anything else -- just camera stuff

I've seen some National Geographic grey color bags that look good for me ( http://sn.im/x66nl ) but they are not rainproof, and they do have way too much space for other junk apart from camera stuff.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, that's way too big from reading the Amazon reviews -- it does not fit in an airplane overhead compartment. I need to travel with my camera too. Thanks for the link though, will check out other "Trekker" series bags then. Am also looking at Vanguard 48 and Tamrac Think Tank. Didn't know those brands earlier, found them in search on this forum.

Thanks, that's way too big from reading the Amazon reviews -- it does not fit in an airplane overhead compartment. I need to travel with my camera too. Thanks for the link though, will check out other "Trekker" series bags then. Am also looking at Vanguard 48 and Tamrac Think Tank. Didn't know those brands earlier, found them in search on this forum.

hmm maybe you should head down to PC show Vanguard was there the last year dont know about this year though....i quite like their designs too ;) vanguard 48 has a laptop compartment if im not wrong and such bags with laptop compartments quite fat haha

tamrac bags mostly have quite a big upper compartment (correct me if im wrong) which you may not need

so if you are not fussy about the looks of the bags (like me) then it should be fine xD

just my 2 cents :)

Check Dakine out, in terms of spreading the pressure, i tested only 1 of the bag, is very comfortable even with weight of 5kg for backpack, but u must stripe it high... Aesthetics wise, above average.

Hi, I do a lot of "third world" street photography. The general rule is this:
If you want to attract thieves, then carry all the above-mentioned branded bags. If you wanna go home with your gear, then use the dirtiest, most common looking "O-Biang" bag you can get your hands on. (think Salvation Army) You can always buy commercial inserts and stitch them in yourself. I just use a few towels to make sure that the lenses do not knock on each other. (Think Daiso)

Alternative, you can always buy the S$4.50 army sling bag from Beach Road, and modify it.
If that is not big enough, then the $14 workman's canvas bag should do. I personally used to throw everything into my crummy-looking canvas backpack. That was when I had large SLR's, and large lenses like the 70-210mm 2.8 constant, or the 300mm f4.

Today, I use a horizontal bullet pouch for holding my 45-150mm lens on my belt. Fast, cheap, and easy. only cost me 250Baht (Yes, I bought it in Chatuchak. 250Baht=S$10 )

images

I did however, line the inside with black-felt to prevent scratches, coz of the bottom metal slug which allows water to drip out of the bag. My overized T-shirt hides it all from "roving eyes"..

My camera sits in a long Black Canvas Pouch also attached to my belt. Or I dump the entire thing into my Large, ugly canvas backpack. Basically, use your ingenuity.

Just my 2 Baht

Last edited:
3 lens is very vague.......... 3 x 50/1.8s vs a 70-200/2.8 + 300/2.8 + 100-400 L for example

Just exactly what lenses are u going to be carrying ? Then more accurate advise can be offered

Last edited:

Lowepro Vertex 300, I think it is bigger than Trekker

I'm using it a lot for travelling and fits in plane cabin

1017874.jpg

Crumpler Brazillion dollar is sucks, big but not spacious, expensive, heavy and doesn't fit in plane cabin

Agreed with Ed.. are all those three lens wide/mid range zoom/primes (which take up little room in the lens compartment) or all superteles (like those for birding)

U got to fil us in on more details for us to advise u better.

i sugegst u consider thinktank prodcuts as well .. Their backpack are good for transporting tripod as well

An example...

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-backpack.aspx

HTH :)

Thanks. Here's what I have:

1. Nikon D300
  2. SB900 flash
  3. Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod
  4. Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 lens or Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 macro lens
  5. Nikkor 10-24 wideangle lens
  6. Nikkor 18-200 travel lens (the usual)
  7. Small items: Radio/wireless flash shooter, battery charger, some CF cards
So far, I'm liking:

- Vanguard 48 (or something lighter)
- ClikElite Escape
- Lowepro Mini Trekker

But not sure as I do need to travel with this jingbang. I am a bit of a design and look conscious person, so laptop etc will be in a separate bag. All I need is a decent camera gear bag.

Thanks.

Lonely Planet's advice on travelling and camera bags:
Click here for link

This is roughly the backpack which I carry

bananarepublic_backpack_small.jpg

Only difference is that mine looks a lot older, and has a large pocket in the front. Otherwise, even the color is similar. Now, compare it with the "Nice, Clean Shiny Bag" you see in the posting above, and tell me which Bag/ Bag Owner will thieves target???

Also, compare it to the one below, and tell me who will thieves target?

national_geographic_medium_backpack_ng5162_nikon_d200_winterhawk_1.jpg

Be street-wise, my friend.
Just my 2Baht again...

you might want to have a look at the lowepro flipback designs. its has a unique design that keeps your equipment rather safe since it opens from the back and i'm pretty sure that it can carry plenty of stuff inside.

Of best regards,
Hath.

Thanks. Here's what I have:

1. Nikon D300
  2. SB900 flash
  3. Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod
  4. Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 lens or Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 macro lens
  5. Nikkor 10-24 wideangle lens
  6. Nikkor 18-200 travel lens (the usual)
  7. Small items: Radio/wireless flash shooter, battery charger, some CF cards
So far, I'm liking:

- Vanguard 48 (or something lighter)
- ClikElite Escape
- Lowepro Mini Trekker

But not sure as I do need to travel with this jingbang. I am a bit of a design and look conscious person, so laptop etc will be in a separate bag. All I need is a decent camera gear bag.

Thanks.

i vote for Vanguard 48 or uprise :)

Hi

I currently have a lowepro 200, black. It looks nice enough and has been functional for carrying camera + 1 lens.

But it's now not enough as I do like to travel with 3-4 lenses I own, plus a tripod.

Is there a bag out there that will:

1. Carry Nikon D300, and three bulky lenses, tripod
2. Be rain proof
3. Not look hideous (some "Donkey" brand for example in ugly yellow color)
4. Need not give me space laptop or anything else -- just camera stuff

I've seen some National Geographic grey color bags that look good for me ( http://sn.im/x66nl ) but they are not rainproof, and they do have way too much space for other junk apart from camera stuff.

Any recommendations?

Which Lowepro 200?Outback 200?Fastpack 200?Slingshot 200?:confused:

Any recommendations?

they have rain covers, i think?

you can look at vanguard uprise series.

Also, compare it to the one below, and tell me who will thieves target?

only difference is the tripod outside, as far as i can see. nothing to do with the bag.

if you carry around a tripod that you never take out..? then what for bring it around.

once the tripod is out, thieves will target you, big fat deal.

the best defense against thieves is not to look like a beggar and then whip out a dslr to take photos. the best defense is to be alert, that in itself dissuades them from the first second, because they want easy targets, not targets who know what's coming and might retaliate.

i have backpacked regularly for 3 years now, from asia to europe. there were places where i didn't even have lockers to store my valuables. 3 years on, nothing lost, nothing stolen. i must be bloody lucky or something....... because i constantly have my tripod out and i use a billingham, which according to your logic, thieves will target. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi, I do a lot of "third world" street photography. The general rule is this:
If you want to attract thieves, then carry all the above-mentioned branded bags. If you wanna go home with your gear, then use the dirtiest, most common looking "O-Biang" bag you can get your hands on. (think Salvation Army) You can always buy commercial inserts and stitch them in yourself. I just use a few towels to make sure that the lenses do not knock on each other. (Think Daiso)

Alternative, you can always buy the S$4.50 army sling bag from Beach Road, and modify it.
If that is not big enough, then the $14 workman's canvas bag should do. I personally used to throw everything into my crummy-looking canvas backpack. That was when I had large SLR's, and large lenses like the 70-210mm 2.8 constant, or the 300mm f4.

Today, I use a horizontal bullet pouch for holding my 45-150mm lens on my belt. Fast, cheap, and easy. only cost me 250Baht (Yes, I bought it in Chatuchak. 250Baht=S$10 )

images

I did however, line the inside with black-felt to prevent scratches, coz of the bottom metal slug which allows water to drip out of the bag. My overized T-shirt hides it all from "roving eyes"..

My camera sits in a long Black Canvas Pouch also attached to my belt. Or I dump the entire thing into my Large, ugly canvas backpack. Basically, use your ingenuity.

Just my 2 Baht

I use the lowepro flipside 300. Carries standard zooms and up to 200mm lens.

OT:
This bag opens only from the side facing my back. Do you think its safe enough? Or do you mean i'll get robbed and gun point/knife point in third world coutries.