Best bang for bucks external flashgun..

iandao

Jun 11, 2010
as per topic..please advise :)

as per topic..please advise :)

What you intend to shoot? This is important in choosing your flashgun.

And it really is difficult to advise you because different people have different expectation. Someone would find that SB900 is the best bang for bucks, some say it is a waste of money.

Other very establish brands of flash are the Nissin and Yongnuo, as well as Tumax... and all of them are good value (to me)... but what model, would still depend on your kind of shoot.

umm..mainly portraits (both indoor & outdoor).. :)

What you intend to shoot? This is important in choosing your flashgun.

And it really is difficult to advise you because different people have different expectation. Someone would find that SB900 is the best bang for bucks, some say it is a waste of money.

Other very establish brands of flash are the Nissin and Yongnuo, as well as Tumax... and all of them are good value (to me)... but what model, would still depend on your kind of shoot.

one wise photographer said, "if a gadget is useless to you, it is very expensive even it cost only $1.00"

so,
define your usage.

umm..mainly portraits (both indoor & outdoor).. :)

too general... :)

Typical subject distance?
Ambient Light? (eg. night, dawn, dusk, mid-day under the sun, shade, etc)
Use with accessories? (eg. bare flash, umbrella, reflector, softbox, etc)
Required functionality? (eg. TTL, slave w TTL, TTL commander, etc)

most importantly:
BUDGET? :)

ZerocoolAstra said:

most importantly:

Sorry TS for hijacking your thread but i am looking into purchasing an external flash unit too..

So many terms used, flashgun, flash, strobe, hot shoe flash.. are they terms or actually different products itself? Haha!

But like i've said, i am looking for a/an external flash for my Kr. (Whichever it is but basically other than the built-in flash)

More for like general purpose in terms of shooting people. Think wedding, company events, basically groups of people be it indoor or out. Just something that will be slightly more powerful than my built-in flash. Perhaps something similar but with more control? :/

Definitely not for outdoor in the day usage kind but perhaps indoor, and indoor-under-shades(think void deck kinda environment), with maybe natural light from 10am onwards? And using mostly 50mm f1.4 manual lens..

LoL! I guess that should be detailed enough?

**Yes, like many people, i wish to avoid the glaring "flash-in-the-face" pictures. So i guess i should be getting a diffuser and also some knowledge in controlling flash..

Last edited:
So many terms used, flashgun, flash, strobe, hot shoe flash.. are they terms or actually different products itself? Haha!
If you read up about these terms (and add 'off shoe flash') you can answer your questions already or you can rule out certain things.
Strobist
From your description it sounds as if you simply want a hot shoe flash. Get the flashes for your Pentax system (check with the Pentax subforum).

Octarine said:
If you read up about these terms (and add 'off shoe flash') you can answer your questions already or you can rule out certain things.
Strobist
From your description it sounds as if you simply want a hot shoe flash. Get the flashes for your Pentax system (check with the Pentax subforum).

Ah! True that! Haha! Arigato! :D

erm..subject distance..2m
ambient light: morning to mid-day
no accessories
required functionality: TTL, slave w TTL, TTL commander good to have
budget: less than $300

many thanks! i have an old flashgun..paired with FM10..but the cycle time is wayyy to slow~

most importantly:

erm..subject distance..2m
ambient light: morning to mid-day
no accessories
required functionality: TTL, slave w TTL, TTL commander good to have
budget: less than $300

many thanks! i have an old flashgun..paired with FM10..but the cycle time is wayyy to slow~

For <$300, my vote goes to 2nd hand Nikon SB-600 speedlight. Has TTL slave capability with a D90's pop-up flash acting as TTL commander.
Have used it for fill flash in fairly bright conditions - partially cloudy mid-afternoon - and power is sufficient.

if BN leh..will Nissin 622 Mark II fit the bill?

For <$300, my vote goes to 2nd hand Nikon SB-600 speedlight. Has TTL slave capability with a D90's pop-up flash acting as TTL commander.
Have used it for fill flash in fairly bright conditions - partially cloudy mid-afternoon - and power is sufficient.

Nissin 622mkii

if BN leh..will Nissin 622 Mark II fit the bill?

Mmmm :think: Di622mkII has wireless TTL too! Cool...
Hmmm, well if the price is not too different, I would somehow still prefer the SB600 (2nd hand in good condition) to a new Di622... well, that's just me I guess.

for oncam or wireless TTL needs i strongly recommend the first party flashes even if they cost a little bit more, for everything else there's always yongnuo 460II or 560 :3

just add a bit more budget and get the SB700. Save you a lot of headaches down the road.