Best ballhead and quick release set under $200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedium

Jun 19, 2004
www.photo.net
Any recommendation for a ballhead and quick release set under $200?

Hoping to find something(s) for my new Feisol CF tripod

benedium said:
Hoping to find something(s) for my new Feisol CF tripod

Pardon me if I'm wrong! Is Feisol tripod = Gitzo clone (sold by The Camera Workshop)???

I don't know about the one sold in TCW, but yeah i guess it's supposed to be comparable with the Gitzo. Any ballhead to recommend?

mpenza said:
try the Giottos series at Cathay Photo?

agree... quite good, i feel.. (maybe because I never try the more expensive one :bsmilie: :bsmilie: )

popeye said:
agree... quite good, i feel.. (maybe because I never try the more expensive one :bsmilie: :bsmilie: )
A note of caution. One of my friend got the Giottos ballhead (can't remember the model no.), and the retaining screw in the plate worked itself loose after some time, while he was carrying his setup over his shoulder (300D + BGE1 + 70-200 f4L + 550EX), the whole thing came crashing down to the ground. Luckily it was sandy ground and not concrete, the flash hot shoe took the brunt of the impact (broke) and he had to send his 300D back to Canon Service Centre to get it fixed (cost abt $50 for the replacement parts).

After this incident, I would not recommend Giottos ballhead, instead the Manfrotto 486RC2 is a better bet. The plate mount has a safety catch that prevents you from accidentally releasing the plate via the plate release lever. Can support 300D + BGE1 + 70-200 f4L + 550EX or its equivalent with no problems.

Can try the Manfrotto 488RC2. I think $130. Works ok with 3.5kg worth of gear, but that is more or less the limit for smooth operation (nothing to do with paper specs).

Garion said:
A note of caution. One of my friend got the Giottos ballhead (can't remember the model no.), and the retaining screw in the plate worked itself loose after some time, while he was carrying his setup over his shoulder (300D + BGE1 + 70-200 f4L + 550EX), the whole thing came crashing down to the ground. Luckily it was sandy ground and not concrete, the flash hot shoe took the brunt of the impact (broke) and he had to send his 300D back to Canon Service Centre to get it fixed (cost abt $50 for the replacement parts).

After this incident, I would not recommend Giottos ballhead, instead the Manfrotto 486RC2 is a better bet. The plate mount has a safety catch that prevents you from accidentally releasing the plate via the plate release lever. Can support 300D + BGE1 + 70-200 f4L + 550EX or its equivalent with no problems.

Wow... That must have been a scary experience.
Just to ask, when you mean by "retaining screw", you mean by the screws holding on the QR clamp itself, or do you mean by the QR screw that tightens the grip on the QR plate itself..

Interested to get a Giottos MR1000 with Arca Swiss QR, but after you said that... :bigeyes:

EDIT: Which QR system did your friend get?

Garion said:

Really scary, especially for me as I also carry my stuff over the shoulder :eek: !! Was he using the Giottos QR system? I think I'd better check to ensure my QR plates are rigid/tight before going for any shoot .....

Status
Not open for further replies.