Martini-7675.jpg

@f2.8
Martini-7693.jpg

@f2
Martini-2791.jpg

@f2
Martini-2832.jpg

The simple joys of the FA 50

The wonderful FA50 and my fav. 50mm lens.

5499147051_1286039ddd_z.jpg

5377727944_991b76dc4d_z.jpg

5505512601_6a1df08fba_z.jpg

5502664386_76ce1b5602_z.jpg

5398458510_4833c41c6d_z.jpg

Many thanks to all who have contributed. I like many of the very nice shots and I have in mind shortlisted two which I will take a closer look. I am still waiting to see some real life shots of the A 50f1.2 as I feel f1.2 is closer to 85f1.4 on FF. I have seen the F 50f1.7, what about the F 50f1.4? Anyone out there has either the ZK 50f.14 or the CV 58f1.4?

Many thanks and cheers to all.

Many thanks to all who have contributed. I like many of the very nice shots and I have in mind shortlisted two which I will take a closer look. I am still waiting to see some real life shots of the A 50f1.2 as I feel f1.2 is closer to 85f1.4 on FF. I have seen the F 50f1.7, what about the F 50f1.4? Anyone out there has either the ZK 50f.14 or the CV 58f1.4?

Many thanks and cheers to all.

The F 50/1.4 is similar optically to the FA version. In fact most of the F series lenses are the same optically to the FA versions.

The F 50/1.4 is similar optically to the FA version. In fact most of the F series lenses are the same optically to the FA versions.

Thanks JK. I like your revuenon 55f1.2 as it has that classic feel for me. The DA 55f1.4 is also nice but has a totally different feel. My A 50f1.4 which I picked up from Frank has somewhat similar character so, I am looking forward to some photos of the A 50f1.2. I have been scouting most of the sites, especially the Pentax forum and I think I need to look at your revuenon 55f1.2 quite seriously. Reminds me of the days when I was on crop, I had eight 50s and it was really fun to play and learn of each individual lens character. I particularly like the painterly look of the OM lenses, and your revuenon 55f1.2 has some resemblance, quite similar to the Mamiya Sekor 55f1.4 that I once had.

Thanks JK. I like your revuenon 55f1.2 as it has that classic feel for me. The DA 55f1.4 is also nice but has a totally different feel. My A 50f1.4 which I picked up from Frank has somewhat similar character so, I am looking forward to some photos of the A 50f1.2. I have been scouting most of the sites, especially the Pentax forum and I think I need to look at your revuenon 55f1.2 quite seriously. Reminds me of the days when I was on crop, I had eight 50s and it was really fun to play and learn of each individual lens character. I particularly like the painterly look of the OM lenses, and your revuenon 55f1.2 has some resemblance, quite similar to the Mamiya Sekor 55f1.4 that I once had.

Actually revuenon is rebranded cosina.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/41357-cosina-55mm-1-1-2-club.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131148-cosina-55mm-f1-2-worth-usd.html

Last edited:

The Revunon/Tomikia/Cosina 55/1.2 is a nice and unique lens, but I must honestly say that I won't recommend it as the only '50mm' lens. It uniqueness is also its weakness in the form of CA wide open in high contrast situations (though most lenses suffer to some extent). OOF renderings can be a bit distracting at the circular edges. I'd not call it a portrait lens, but sort of a 'artistic' lens.
The Pentax coating is certainly superior in terms of flare/haze control.

I've compared center sharpness of this lens against the Pentax 50/1.4, 50/1.2. Sharpness is generally equal when focused right and with a proper hood. However, the Pentax lenses superior coating gives better contrast and therefore better apparent sharpness.

In fact this is the case for most 3rd party lenses vs Pentax lenses.
Tested a Kiron 28/2 vs M28/2.8 at f2.8 and though the Kiron was actually sharper in terms of actual captured detail, the M28/2.8 had better contrast which made it appear sharper on viewing (ie. not pixel peeping).
Same thing with Cosina 24/2.8 vs K24/2.8. Normal usage, they are generally on par. Flare control, K28 beats the Cosina by a mile.

I still have my mind on the Voigtlander. Or maybe my mind is on the models :bsmilie: :lovegrin:
http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=68

Hi oceanpriest, thanks for the links. So it's an old Cosina. Has the current CV 58f1.4 SL II any resemblance?

VL 58 1.4 was based on topcor design. So, I think they are different.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22894-topcor-58mm-f1-4-noktons-grandfather-%5Blens-buying-addiction%5D.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-zeiss-mamiya-and-55-1-4-design-t22661.html

The Revunon/Tomikia/Cosina 55/1.2 is a nice and unique lens, but I must honestly say that I won't recommend it as the only '50mm' lens. It uniqueness is also its weakness in the form of CA wide open in high contrast situations (though most lenses suffer to some extent). OOF renderings can be a bit distracting at the circular edges. I'd not call it a portrait lens, but sort of a 'artistic' lens.
The Pentax coating is certainly superior in terms of flare/haze control.

I've compared center sharpness of this lens against the Pentax 50/1.4, 50/1.2. Sharpness is generally equal when focused right and with a proper hood. However, the Pentax lenses superior coating gives better contrast and therefore better apparent sharpness.

In fact this is the case for most 3rd party lenses vs Pentax lenses.
Tested a Kiron 28/2 vs M28/2.8 at f2.8 and though the Kiron was actually sharper in terms of actual captured detail, the M28/2.8 had better contrast which made it appear sharper on viewing (ie. not pixel peeping).
Same thing with Cosina 24/2.8 vs K24/2.8. Normal usage, they are generally on par. Flare control, K28 beats the Cosina by a mile.

I still have my mind on the Voigtlander. Or maybe my mind is on the models :bsmilie: :lovegrin:
http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=68

JK, both the lens and model are nice. For S$ 600 with hood, the CV 58f1.4 SL II sure looks attractive. I have looked through the Revuenon 55f1.2 thread at Pentaxforum and it definitely has the character that I am looking for, quite painterly actually. Comparing it with the current 58f1.4 at Chiff, not sure it's PP or the lens look too clean and smooth.

Once again, many thanks for those who have helped to point me the way. After spending the whole morning at pentaxforum, especially on the FA Ltd thread, I have decided that it's best for me to go with both the FA 43 and 77 to partner my 31. I will keep my A 50f1.4 and stay with this set-up until I get the bug again. Cheers.

PS: I will keep the thread open for the day to see whether anyone can change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.