Besides Ulead DVD PictureShow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vin

Jul 16, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
What other software can convert digital photo to VCD slides with high resolution images and have anti flickering feature? Ulead DVD PictureShow 2.0 is having lots of software problems.

Vin, check out this website for all you want to know about the software that can convert digital photos to VCD/DVD.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/author

My personal favourite is Ulead DVD PictureShow 2.0 which is a BIG improvement over 1.0

ProShow Gold is great but I've yet to try it.

Originally posted by Deadly
My personal favourite is Ulead DVD PictureShow 2.0 which is a BIG improvement over 1.0

Agree that version 2.0 has big improvement but has problem with the anti flickering filter. It's not working! To me this is a BIG minus for me. Hope Ulead will come out a patch for this problem soon.

Actually, Photodex Proshow Gold is a great software. Its a feature rich software that's easy to use and can generate the VCD image file in matter of minutes. A 20 minutes slideshow (VCD compliant mpeg format) with music and random transition takes only about 3 - 4 minutes to generate. In addition, the application can generate both VCD compliant image file as well as VCD compliant mpeg files. It can also save a backup copy of the original picture files in a directory on the VCD. The slideshow and transitions are crisp and clear, no fickering was noted. The only downside of this application is that you can't insert a movie file or clip into the VCD image.

But of course there are ways to circumvent this...;)

Originally posted by Vin
Agree that version 2.0 has big improvement but has problem with the anti flickering filter. It's not working! To me this is a BIG minus for me. Hope Ulead will come out a patch for this problem soon.

So far I've burnt photos on VCD, SVCD and DVD. VCD playback is not bad but you'll still get some flickering. This is worse on SVCD which comes as a surprise to me. You would expect SVCD quality to be better than VCD but NO... I'm happy with DVD quality but it is expensive... the media is still too pricey.

Don't try Picture2TV - it sucks on the video quality!

Sounds like that are at least 2 folks who already swear on ProShow Gold.

Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 can convert photos to VCD/DVD as well but I have yet to try this feature.

Originally posted by pat8228
Actually, Photodex Proshow Gold is a great software. Its a feature rich software that's easy to use and can generate the VCD image file in matter of minutes. A 20 minutes slideshow (VCD compliant mpeg format) with music and random transition takes only about 3 - 4 minutes to generate.

pat8228, what is your PC configuration?

Mine is Athlon 1600 with 768MB RAM. But I've tried it on an Intel P3 450 laptop with 256MB RAM, and the speed was decently fast as well...definitely faster than software like Picture 2 TV. But I think the most amazing part about this software is the smoothness of its huge collection of transition effects and that it allows you to insert a blank page to key in your text. You can even do fade-in & out for the accompanying music as well! Cool!

Get a Mac, and use iPhoto and iDVD combo... easy as 123.

Apple is there at IT Show, go there and check it out yourself.

Vin said:
What other software can convert digital photo to VCD slides with high resolution images and have anti flickering feature? Ulead DVD PictureShow 2.0 is having lots of software problems.

Vin,
Your flickering problem may be your TV not the software you are using. I had the same problem and was showing the photos on a 50Hz Sony 29" set. I have recently purchased a Loewe Artos 100Hz 32" TV and the flickering has gone away.

If you want to try other software there is Roxio, Nero, VCDEasy, ProShow and several others.

Regards

Ulead Picture Show 2 seems to be the best so far, no problem with software or flickering. My OS is Win XP Pro, Athelon 2200+, Ricoh MP5125A and LG4040, DVD player Pioneer / Panasonic and TV Pioneer 434 Plasma. Picture solid as a rock without any problem. The only problem is time to generate and burn to the DVD.

Vin said:
If you use the fade-in/fade-out effect you wouldn't get the flickering as the rest or most of the transition effects is not good at all.
Been using the version 2 and been using the fade-in/fade-out only.
You could also use Ulead Studio Media Pro but very very time consuming.

I've tried out so many other softwares that I have given up until I found this. You could try out Roxio WinonCD 6 DVD Edition. I've never turned back since.

If you go for a software that converts the pictures to a streaming mpeg video, the quality degrade a great deal on VCD or SVCD. Unless you use a DVD which might be costly.

With WinonCD, it converts to a SVCD (my preferred) using menus. The pictures are much sharper and you could incorporate menus & albums. Borders and styles can be easily configured. Background music is also easily inserted using wav or mp3s.

However, as it is not a streamed mpeg video, there are no transitions possible.

You can also easily store Videos into the same SVCD. I do shoot some short interesting videos with my digi-cam and they are easily included. They need to be on separate menu folders for best quality.

The software also automatically archives the shots in a folder. The pictures are used as part of a HTML file.

So, you get:

1) A (Sharp) Photo SVCD on cheap CDR or CDRW
2) An archive of your photos
3) A HTML version of the same photos viewable on all computers.
4) Able to store Videos on the same CD.

You can also use the software for general purpose CD writing uses. It's as good as Nero + Music Album CDs and much more features.

Try this web site:
http://roxio.co.uk/products/winoncd/features.jhtml;jsessionid=AHI1QU2VLT2AJLAQAMGRVQVMCACAWIV0

I have not been using any fade-in fade out, in fact I use nothing at all. The picture does not flicker at all. Most likely it is the TV. Fading use too much space.

Jay said:
If you use the fade-in/fade-out effect you wouldn't get the flickering as the rest or most of the transition effects is not good at all.
Been using the version 2 and been using the fade-in/fade-out only.
You could also use Ulead Studio Media Pro but very very time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.