Benro Vs PPCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagure

Oct 28, 2007
Hi all!

Just taken up photography as a hobby and will be traveling europe for my grad trip this coming may. Wanted to get an entry level budget tripod and from what i read through the forums, i have slimmed down the choices to this 2:-

1. PPCP Stetige ($99) with the default 5kg load head.
2. BBenro Tripod A057 + head BH-00 ($120)

Can any bros comment on which one will it be a better choice for me? My budget is $150 as im still studying and would want a tripod during traveling to take nite shots and group photos.

My current equipment is as follows:-
Canon 350D with 18-55 kit
(upgrades considering in the near future: canon 10-22 & speedlite)

Thanks!!

I tried the PPCP tripod and I don't like it. The Benro tripod, while being smaller, feels more solid and steady. In the end, I got a Benro A-157 with a BH-0 head which was worlds ahead of either tripod for $140. It should retail for $155+.

Do take the time to go down to MS color to test out the tripods before committing.

Samuel

Thanks nightmare86 n samuel for ur replies! hmm samuel i presume u got ur a157 fr ms photo? As i'm not in much of a hurry should i wait for the upcoming computer fair for a better price? Also, i understand that stetige comes with a 1 yr warranty. does benro tripod comes with ani warranty? ps i cant seem to load the benro products page website and hence not able to find out the details.

If you have the cash.... Benro.

If you don't.... then PPCP.

i think this is a very god thread. I am thinking of getting as well as i wil be traveling next month. so looking for a light weight tripod.

i am not too sure which to get as well.

more comments please. :D:D

besides cash issue, does benro perform better?

I tested the Benro & PPCP tripods at MS Color 2 weeks back.

PPCP just doesn't do for stability-- Even when tightened fully, the tripod legs keep spreading apart when I just mount the camera and add a bit of pressure.

Benro is a much better choice.

PPCP just doesn't do for stability-- Even when tightened fully, the tripod legs keep spreading apart when I just mount the camera and add a bit of pressure.

wa, that jialat ar

the v2 one that i have, no such issues :sweat:

if u wan just purely light tripod for travelling that is cheap, can get the slik sprint pro..tt one is light..if u have the money, get the gitzo gt0540...but tt will cost you 600..lol

anyway comparing benro with the ppcp one, there is some difference too which u may wanna consider.. Firstly, that benro model would be lighter, and carry less weight, whereas ppcp one i would say can take a bit more...

ppcp is 1.4kg(for the tripod alone if i m not wrong..), benro is only 1.1kg. But like i said before, their max weight they can take is different.

do check the max height of the benro too, i think the ppcp may be slightly taller.

i would assume benro is much smaller in size too...even if u have a light tripod, if its bigger in size its still bulkier and may feel heavier.

so its up to you...for your setup, benro is definitely enough to take the weight..but see how tall u are...how much u willing to carry...

altnative would be slik 330/340dx... weight 1.6-1.7kg with the default 3-way head (600g by itself already) which is pretty solid for a default head. swap it with PPCP BH-7 and it probably weight <1.5kg.

Thanks nightmare86 n samuel for ur replies! hmm samuel i presume u got ur a157 fr ms photo? As i'm not in much of a hurry should i wait for the upcoming computer fair for a better price? Also, i understand that stetige comes with a 1 yr warranty. does benro tripod comes with ani warranty? ps i cant seem to load the benro products page website and hence not able to find out the details.

Computer fairs don't normally give you discounts on tripods. I would highly suggest you get a larger model then the A-057 and definately not the PPCP tripod. The A-057 tripod can handle the weight of your 350D with kit lens, but not much more when you upgrade. The A-157 or larger ensures you don't need to upgrade so soon, or just the ballhead.

Take note that I am speaking from my personal experience and opinion and you shouldn't take my advice, or anyone else here for that matter, 100%. Go down to the shops with your rig, try out the tripods and then buy it. Notable places to buy tripods are MS colour for the PPCP, Benro range and Cathay for the higher end Manfrotto and Gitzo range.

Samuel

Hi all!

Just taken up photography as a hobby and will be traveling europe for my grad trip this coming may. Wanted to get an entry level budget tripod and from what i read through the forums, i have slimmed down the choices to this 2:-

1. PPCP Stetige ($99) with the default 5kg load head.
2. BBenro Tripod A057 + head BH-00 ($120)

Can any bros comment on which one will it be a better choice for me? My budget is $150 as im still studying and would want a tripod during traveling to take nite shots and group photos.

My current equipment is as follows:-
Canon 350D with 18-55 kit
(upgrades considering in the near future: canon 10-22 & speedlite)

Thanks!!

I'll recommend the Benro setup here (ignoring cost as an important factor). Tried both before and feel that Benro is more stable.

I tried the PPCP tripod and I don't like it. The Benro tripod, while being smaller, feels more solid and steady. In the end, I got a Benro A-157 with a BH-0 head which was worlds ahead of either tripod for $140. It should retail for $155+.

Do take the time to go down to MS color to test out the tripods before committing.

Samuel

I totally agree with you. If TS can stretch budget higher a bit, the Benro A-157 + BH-0 is a step up from the original suggested setups. More future proof. Of course at the end of the day, you should always try out your alternatives before committing else if you want to change setups then you will lose some $$$ (by selling and buying again).

Just my 2 cents.

wa, that jialat ar

the v2 one that i have, no such issues :sweat:

Sorry dude..... My V2 HAVE this issue. Which is why I'm looking for a Benro now..... :what:

But for a light weight tripod..... the PPCP V2 is hard to beat..... :thumbsup:

Sorry dude..... My V2 HAVE this issue. Which is why I'm looking for a Benro now..... :what:

But for a light weight tripod..... the PPCP V2 is hard to beat..... :thumbsup:

hahaha maybe i haven't used expensive stuff before, have only tried out slik sprint pro before :sweat:

one day really must try out better stuff :bsmilie:

wah thanx bros for all the advice. will go down ms photo to try out these 3 tripods.. benro a157, stetige and slik 330/340d. from the posts above it seems that the Benro A-157 + BH-0 is a much more stable choice (abeit being heavier and a bit more exp) as compared to ppcp. will be backpacking europe and though weight might be something to factor in, i would rather carry a bit more weight in exchange for a more durable tripod. army trained ma. haha =)

will post here when i've bought the tripod.

wah thanx bros for all the advice. will go down ms photo to try out these 3 tripods.. benro a157, stetige and slik 330/340d. from the posts above it seems that the Benro A-157 + BH-0 is a much more stable choice (abeit being heavier and a bit more exp) as compared to ppcp. will be backpacking europe and though weight might be something to factor in, i would rather carry a bit more weight in exchange for a more durable tripod. army trained ma. haha =)

will post here when i've bought the tripod.

if you are flying around europe, or at least flying back, please note that their airports all quite strict about one x hand luggage policy. some more relax but best not to try your luck.

what i'm trying to say here is size is a factor too. unless you plan to check in luggage, in which case, then i'm not really sure about the "backpacking" part. :bsmilie: if you end up having to check your tripod in ar, make sure it is inside your luggage and covered/cushioned nicely. the airports here are.. quite unforgiving.

Hmm…My PPCP v1 tripod doesn’t seem to have this problem…Either that or I didn’t really stress test it ;p

Anyway, I was on my Student Exchange Program last year and had carried my tripod around during my 1+ month backpacking trip around Europe. Considering basic usage, I can say it serves me well :) (Heaviest set up is 20D + Grip + 70-200 F4L)...

Haven’t tried Benro though…

i was also in the same dilemma when sourcing for tripods a few mths back, considered the benro n the V2.. in the end got the V2 cos it's taller but still quite light.. lugging around a heavy tripod really makes me lazy to bring it out.. and that will make me bring it out less, which doesn't make it as useful.

For traveling tripod weight is an issue but I still choose Benro for strudiness and solid feel compare to PPCP. Look for A300EX is a bit ligther than A057.

Status
Not open for further replies.