Benro Tripod A157 & A158

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch3nyong

Apr 26, 2007
Hi guys.. thinking of getting a tripod for myself and came across Jack's latest offer on Benro tripods..

Am looking at Benro Tripod A158 (or A157) + head BH-0 at $188 ($198)

I'm not sure if this is a good choice among what I can get out there at the budget of below $200, but I'd love to carry it around for shootings, so prefer light-weight and shorter folded length.

For those who own these two models of tripod, any comments or thoughts that you'd like to share?

For the rest, do you have any other suggestions that falls into my budget and yet fulfilling my desire?

Thanks!

** Ahh, forgot to state that Max Load Capacity somewhere 4.0 kg or more is preferred =) and personally likes total-black body =)

A158 foled length is shorter and easier to carry it around. A157 is stronger (it can take body weight of 50kg plus) as the last section of the legs is bigger.

If you want something that is more portable, A158, if you need it to be stronger, A157.

Hope the infor helps. :)

A158 foled length is shorter and easier to carry it around. A157 is stronger (it can take body weight of 50kg plus) as the last section of the legs is bigger.

If you want something that is more portable, A158, if you need it to be stronger, A157.

Hope the infor helps. :)
50kg? :think:

it simply means it won't crumple down into pieces, rather than not shaking.

yes, you are right. It will shake when i am moving.

But with setups like about 5kg, it takes them nicely without any vibration when you move the camera/lens. :)

go for a manfrotto 190xb + 484RC2 ball head from TKfoto, got it for $210.. much better than the benro.. or u can choose to have a 468RC2 head for addition $20..

go for a manfrotto 190xb + 484RC2 ball head from TKfoto, got it for $210.. much better than the benro.. or u can choose to have a 468RC2 head for addition $20..

xb? is that the new series with the centre column adjustable without taking it out?

xb? is that the new series with the centre column adjustable without taking it out?
that would be 190proxb... 190xb cannot go horizontal... just last week cathay had an offer for the 190proxb at 185 i think.. with free leg wraps and strap... not sure if it's still on.. coz they offered another tripod this week...

its the one that cannot go horizontal, but at that price, it'll be a better choice over the berno.. =)

is a public confession of copying of designs from other companies really a good thing? i wonder.

is a public confession of copying of designs from other companies really a good thing? i wonder.

Maybe change the word "copy the design" to "following the standard"... Like Acra Swiss came out the ball head standard for the rest to follow. There are Acra Swiss style ballheads/qr plates from Markin, Kirk, RRS, and many other well-known brands.

As long as it benifits the consumers, why not...:)

One small example for Benro, they invented the designs for the anti-dust, water proof locking system for the tripods. Its not only following the highest standards but also with improvements. They spend a lot on the R&D in order to improve the design / quality from the exiting products on the market. And this should be way to go in order to gain the share on the globle market. Just my 2 cents.

then perhaps you would like to be more careful with the word "copy" since you deals with marketing, isn't it? anyway like to pat your shoulder for your earnest marketing. benro is lucky to have you.

Thanks guys for your ideas and thoughts!

Benro A158 is on top of my list, but frankly speaking, I've seen it personally and dont really fancy it.. used A157 once (borrowed from my friend) and went for night shooting once.. the legs are somehow tight and hard to get stretched out, not sure if it's a prob with new set? Will it stretch smoother after some time of usage? hmm..

My further question is, at below $200 budget, is there any recommended brands/models other than Benro and Manfrotto? =)

And second question is, do you think there'll be cheaper deals in coming PC show or just get from Cathay?

Cheers!

dont think there'll be cheaper deals for tripods in the PC shows..

with that budget, the benro A158 or the manfrotto 190xb seems to be the choice..
I saw a gitto(not sure if its spelled like this, but not gitzo) at TKfoto going for <$200 with ball head, but compared to the benro and manfrotto, this one cannot go all the way low as the centre column is fixed..

maybe u could head down to TKfoto and try out some tripods before u decide, the ppl there are real helpful, and i'm sure they can help u choose something that u like and fits into ur budget..

juz my cents worth..

Benro A158 is on top of my list, but frankly speaking, I've seen it personally and dont really fancy it.. used A157 once (borrowed from my friend) and went for night shooting once.. the legs are somehow tight and hard to get stretched out, not sure if it's a prob with new set? Will it stretch smoother after some time of usage? hmm..
the leg locks on my M158nr6 seems to be working smoother after a year...there's still one that is just abit stiffer but not too bad, the rest are as smooth as a gitzo's... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.