Benro Travel Angel vs Gitzo Traveller series

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Is the Benro travel angel any good? The specs seems slightly better than the Gitzo and is 1/4 the price. 6Kg can take the weight of 5DMkII (0.7) + 70-200f2.8IS (1.5) + 1kg ballhead.

Gitzo GT1541T Benro TRCB068
Material Carbon Fiber Carbon Fiber
Maximum Load (kg) 8 6
Max Ht col ext(cm) 134 134.5
Max Ht col ret(cm) 113 114.5
Min Ht 17.5(col rem) 40 (column retracted/unremoveable?)
Folded Length 41 36
Leg Sections 4 4
Center Column Rapid Rapid
Weight (kg) 1 0.8

Anyone with the Benro can comment if it is any good.

3979451028_e73b3ae0f9_o.jpg

Is the Benro travel angel any good? The specs seems slightly better than the Gitzo and is 1/4 the price. 6Kg can take the weight of 5DMkII (0.7) + 70-200f2.8IS (1.5) + 1kg ballhead.

Gitzo GT1541T Benro TRCB068
Material Carbon Fiber Carbon Fiber
Maximum Load (kg) 8 6
Max Ht col ext(cm) 134 134.5
Max Ht col ret(cm) 113 114.5
Min Ht 17.5(col rem) 40 (column retracted/unremoveable?)
Folded Length 41 36
Leg Sections 4 4
Center Column Rapid Rapid
Weight (kg) 1 0.8

Anyone with the Benro can comment if it is any good.

Just happened to view this thread, yes I'm a Benro travel angel tripod user here. I switched to the A-169 model from my Manfrotto earlier this year. I'm using the aluminium model and not the carbon fibre model. IMHO the weight difference between them is minor and the aluminium legs feel more stable and sturdy compared to the carbon fibre model.

So far I've found the following:

Pros:
-very lightweight and compact
-easily stuffed into most backpacks, so you won't have some big tripod strapped to the outside that screams "I'm a photographer" when travelling overseas
-the height range is just nice for all the photos I've taken so far

Cons:
-the twist n lock legs are somewhat tedious to use compared to the clasps on my Manfrotto
-takes longer to set up and keep, but with practise the time taken gets lesser
-the basic BH0-M ballhead is not that good for panning
-most vendors will not sell the tripod separately, you have to buy with a Benro ballhead

Cons:
-the twist n lock legs are somewhat tedious to use compared to the clasps on my Manfrotto
-takes longer to set up and keep, but with practise the time taken gets lesser
-the basic BH0-M ballhead is not that good for panning
-most vendors will not sell the tripod separately, you have to buy with a Benro ballhead

twist and lock are on the Gitzo as well so this is not an issue in this comparison. Yes, I am thinking what to do with the ballhead if I were to buy the kit set.

I think this comparison is not too right..

I cant believe one of the biggest benro problem which is the twist is better then Gitzo G-lock.

BTW Benro Load capacity really 6kg? got over rated?

I cannot for sure say it is better. But Gitzo G-lock does not comes with anti-dust and moisture seal isn't it? These are only found on the ocean traveller. Do correct me if I am wrong on this one.

I am based on info published on both manufacturer's website. I am also assuming that I am not using the Benro ballhead that comes with the tripod. The 6kg for the tripod stand is reasonable.

u r right on the moist issue... it did not state...

but my argument on the is not about moist or dust. it about the whole usage... G-Lock is an advance system which Benro is far from it... note that Gitzo G-lock is quick twist technology not few turn technology

to be honest, I like Gitzo mainly becuz of the lock.... till now, I can afford 1 gitzo...

the percentage of causing user some frustration is much higher due to the lock... BTW I am a benro monopod user.

u r right on the moist issue... it did not state...

but my argument on the is not about moist or dust. it about the whole usage... G-Lock is an advance system which Benro is far from it... note that Gitzo G-lock is quick twist technology not few turn technology

to be honest, I like Gitzo mainly becuz of the lock.... till now, I can afford 1 gitzo...

the percentage of causing user some frustration is much higher due to the lock... BTW I am a benro monopod user.

Is the Benro twist and lock so bad?

The Gitzo is $600 more than the Benro. I am trying to justify why the need to pay the additional $ for the 2 seemingly identical tripod.

from your input
- Gitzo G-lock better than the Benro twist and lock.

Last edited:
yes... Gitzo G-Lock is definitely better...

BTW have your tried these 2 tripod on your own?

I tried out the Benro Travel Angel before settling on GT1541 (not traveller) and the leg lock certainly does not feel as nice to use as Gitzo's. There are other differences for you to find out after you handle them physically. Whether these differences are worth the $600 will be left for you to decide.

To me, the twist-lock is just as fast to use as the flip-clasp on Manfrotto. Even my gf is able to grab all the locks (on one leg, of course) at once, twist slightly and extend the legs very quickly.

Cons:
This is my main beef with my Benro. I just hate it -- especially if I'm on the go, hopping from one shooting location to another, and in a hurry -- and in fact I'm trying to source for another tripod for this reason.

:Later,

yes... Gitzo G-Lock is definitely better...

BTW have your tried these 2 tripod on your own?

I have not tried the Benro and am expecting it to be ~$400+ but got a shock when I knew it is not even $200.

I tried out the Benro Travel Angel before settling on GT1541 (not traveller) and the leg lock certainly does not feel as nice to use as Gitzo's. There are other differences for you to find out after you handle them physically. Whether these differences are worth the $600 will be left for you to decide.

Kindly elaborate what are these differences for you.

This is my main beef with my Benro. I just hate it -- especially if I'm on the go, hopping from one shooting location to another, and in a hurry -- and in fact I'm trying to source for another tripod for this reason.

:Later,

Ok, seems like the Benro twist lock is the main thing that screws up.

why don't you go down personally to try out the two tripod and do a comparison? You can try out Benro tripod either at Benphoto or Orient photo and Gitzo tripod at Cathay photo or Orient photo.

ok. thanks everybody for your comments. Unfortunately I am not in town and cannot try. So will rely on your comments to buy. Thanks.

you sure the price for the benro is correct?

Go for Gitzo if you have the budget. They are superior in many aspects and last you many many years. If you happen to go to HK, grap the 1541T which they are selling it at around S$720 compared with CP in Singapore of $800+. Of course, In HK, Benro is even cheaper.

you sure the price for the benro is correct?

That's what it says in this MO thread

Go for Gitzo if you have the budget. They are superior in many aspects and last you many many years. If you happen to go to HK, grap the 1541T which they are selling it at around S$720 compared with CP in Singapore of $800+. Of course, In HK, Benro is even cheaper.

Actually, I already have the GT1541T. I paid $790 for it. But I rarely use it as I have another tripod. So am thinking of downgrading to one that cost less that I can bring along just for travels only. I am trying to offload my gears for cheaper, lighter alternatives whenever they are available. Only then can sustain this hobby. Getting too ex :)

Last edited:
Thats the alu version... :sweat: Thought i over-paid for my C-068... How's the gitzo? Thinking of upgrading to one.. haha

Last edited:
I do not believe the CARBON FIBRE angel series is $200...the last i remembered, it was around $400 for the CF ones(ANGEL SERIES)...unless the price has dropped..which is unlikely....unless the normal aluminium ones are now like $50??

Please get your pricing right before you make the comparison...anyway the 1541 can extend to 159 cm and 138cm (with centre column / without centre column)...both are different size in the first place..not a fair comparison...

Next thing, you cant just compare specs 1 to 1 like that...a point and shoot has 20x zoom and cost easily 10 times less than a SLR and lens that can give you the same reach, not even talking about the convenient zoom range...does that make the point and shoot better value for the money you pay?

A tripod is so much more than just those number specs...quality of the tripod, materials etc...true that the price is high for gitzo...but many people have bought and are satisfied with what they got..

one thing to note for TS...do not take the weight support specs plainly...take for example the GT0541 series..it can take up to 5kg i think...but if u were to mount a body with a 70-200 on it, the thin legs of the tripod means your whole setup will wobble somewhat in the wind...that's not very favorable...if u see yourself using such a setup on a tripod do consider getting bigger ones with thicker legs for better stability..

Lastly, with regards to Gitzo's G lock system, for those who have not actually experienced using them before, please do so before commenting on their convenience compared to lever locks(or remain neutral)...taken that older generation twist turn locks were a hassle to operate compared to lever locks...that was in the past...i believe if you actually experienced using the new G-Locks, you would(most majority) agree that these are so much better than lever locks...;p

That's what it says in this MO thread

Actually, I already have the GT1541T. I paid $790 for it. But I rarely use it as I have another tripod. So am thinking of downgrading to one that cost less that I can bring along just for travels only. I am trying to offload my gears for cheaper, lighter alternatives whenever they are available. Only then can sustain this hobby. Getting too ex :)

those are aluminium ones bro..lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.