Belt or Bag to assist with changing lens

torque6

Jul 7, 2008
I currently have about 3 primes, all small and light; less than 300g. Was thinking of having Think Tank's or Lowepro belt system as I find crumpler bgas abit cumbersome to swap lens safely and quickly.

Any recommendations? Bags also can.

I currently have about 3 primes, all small and light; less than 300g. Was thinking of having Think Tank's or Lowepro belt system as I find crumpler bgas abit cumbersome to swap lens safely and quickly.

new modular system v2 just released from think tank, not sure if TK has them yet tho.

Intending to use it for event shoot purposes?
Belt system probably the most convenient, but it can make you look very clumsy when fully strapped up, like a ninja turtle ;)
Have to consider your mobility as well.

Ya, i did considered the think tank modular system and the lowepro lens exchange system. But lowepro only comes in 200w size.

but ur changing lenses. i dun see how much faster u can work, be it belt vs bag. for me bag works as well as belt at least.

i have ThinkTank belt system (skin series), backpack (Streetwalker) and shoulder bag (Urban Disguise).

For urban trips I prefer backpack because it is safer and I change lens only when I am in a restaurant/ hotel. Also I can tie my tripod at the side of the bag.

For backpacking trips I only bring my belt system (pro body with 3 lens and a speedlite). Most of my backpacking trips are to rural areas where most of the time the floor is muddy and with lots of dust. Having a belt system allows you to change lens without finding a place to settle your bag. Another plus point for belt system is that you can hook your tripod/ water bottle with carabiners. I strongly recommend you get the harness as well if you intend to bring more than 2 lens on a belt system if not you will really feel the weight of your gears on your pelvic bones.

For casual shoots I bring my shoulder bag, but usually I limit my lens to maximum 2 as it is very very heavy to carry many lens on one's shoulder.

I usually use my tamrac lens cases and a beach road army market belt....

I use the belt system (ThinkTank) because shoulder bags makes by back ache and perspire a lot and from location to location, I have to move around and if I put down my bag, sometimes I forgot about them. Hence I changed to a belt system to suit my needs. And the weight is balanced on my shoulders and waist and now no more aches. And yes, when everything on, I look like a ninja turtle. I have 2 bodies to minimize changing of lens as I shoot events. Will bring 3rd or 4th lens if need to.

how much is think tank belt?

If you are going out alone to a non-crowded specific location to shoot or cover event then belt is fine. Especially when you place the pouches in front of you like army SBO style then changing lenses is quite convenient. However if you are going to town say orchard or going out with friends/gf, personally I think I look weird with my "SBO" so I rather have a bag.

So they serve different purposes and you see what's your situation like.

P.S I don't think I want a belt system if I am carrying 300mm and above prime lenses.

Think tank belt comes in various models, normal belt like your army belt or those with paddings....go TK foto have a look at the prices. (Or ebay)

Lowepro s&f belf with blackrapid dr2 !

2 set of cam with flash always ready for shoot, depending on the event , i decide on how many pouch/len to be fitted on belt.

Over the years have tried lots of bag, in the end finally found this combination suit me. Equipment always on hand, no more mis-placing item anywhere, no more len stolen during wedding dinner in camera bag throw at the side of reception table, no more forgot to take camera bag after shooting bride going off in bridal car (and myself hop in brides maid's car) ...

Haha .. Though it not cheap getting the bag and strap ..

THanks for the suggestions guys. Will try them out.