Believe it or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ockly

Oct 20, 2004
ockly.multiply.com
Last two week ago, I received a call from an IT company inviting me to their IT exhibition overseas and provided me a lucky draw number. During the day of lucky draw, they even call me from the exhibition hall informing me that I have won their second prize lucky draw (S$200,000) and ask me to come down and collect the prize at the exhibition.

This morning, they call me again to inform that I could still claim the prize by completing the prize collection application. For them to transfer the prize money to me, they requested me to provide them with my local saving account number to process the prize collection application.

After a few minutes later, they call me again to inform me that the application was successful and I have to pay a percentage of the prize money for their Tax ($40,000) after I received cash prize. They even provided me with their company website, username and password to view my name on prize winner listing. However, from their past records, some prize owner did not pay the Tax after they received the prize money. Therefore to avoid this problem, I have to transfer a deposit of $3980 before the price money will be transferred to me.

I want to share this information in case anyone of you decided to pay the deposit.

Last two week ago, I received a call from an IT company inviting me to their IT exhibition overseas and provided me a lucky draw number. During the day of lucky draw, they even call me from the exhibition hall informing me that I have won their second prize lucky draw (S$200,000) and ask me to come down and collect the prize at the exhibition.

This morning, they call me again to inform that I could still claim the prize by completing the prize collection application. For them to transfer the prize money to me, they requested me to provide them with my local saving account number to process the prize collection application.

After a few minutes later, they call me again to inform me that the application was successful and I have to pay a percentage of the prize money for their Tax ($40,000) after I received cash prize. They even provided me with their company website, username and password to view my name on prize winner listing. However, from their past records, some prize owner did not pay the Tax after they received the prize money. Therefore to avoid this problem, I have to transfer a deposit of $3980 before the price money will be transferred to me.

I want to share this information in case anyone of you decided to pay the deposit.

You just got scammed. Did you really give them your bank account#?

It's definitely a scam. Hope you didn't give them any confidential info. If you had given out your account info, better to go to the bank & change to another a/c no. immediately.

I gave them a fake account number. However I did call up the bank and check with them for this type of scam. They informed me that the third party could not do any with the account number except transferring money into the account.

They're NOT after your money. They are after your INFORMATION, and with that information, they can access other area of information, or commit other types of fraud.

yeah they might do a little identity theft for some other scam.

you might like to read these for how to have some fun with those guys.

http://www.419eater.com/

They're NOT after your money. They are after your INFORMATION, and with that information, they can access other area of information, or commit other types of fraud.

identity theft...always fun.

I gave them a fake account number. However I did call up the bank and check with them for this type of scam. They informed me that the third party could not do any with the account number except transferring money into the account.

They are after your $3980. Once you send them that, you'll never hear from them again!

This is the classic - plain vanilla - boilerplate Advance fee fraud. I get similar paper mails from Spain every month or so? :sweat:

Did you receive any legitimate calls from an MNC with a base in China before?

Once I obtained service from an American Consumer Electronics company (shall not name which) due to a faulty device, and a few days later I received a call to check on my customer satisfaction for the job done. The caller was a lady with a Chinese (China) accented English. Survey took a few mins only.

Sometime after that, I started receiving calls with the China prefix numbers, but I did not hear them cos I was sleeping most of the time when they called ( I work nights, and sleep in the day). And swee swee a few days later came out in the papers of these telephone scams, where by answering the China calls, they can somehow make large unauthorised call charges to your phone.

Possibly they obtained your number through some means, when you got a call from China before.

Someone with an overseas number called me. Lucky my hp on silent mode.

+86 (158) code is... China... :think:

I also received the same call ....3 minutes before midnite, while i was zzzzzzz. Maybe they want to wish me Happy National DAY!!!!:bsmilie:

diaozz...seeing some replies i nearly laughed till i fell off the chair..

giving away ur bank account number wont do u any harm, it will only do u good.

ppl cant do anything with the number except putting number into it.. diaoz diaoz diaoz diaoz

if anyone can obtain private info from bank account number, then everyone can just go the dustbins at posb, ocbc, uob atm machines, inside there got tonnes of banking slips with bank account number..

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: i have since woke up heartily

diaozz...seeing some replies i nearly laughed till i fell off the chair..

giving away ur bank account number wont do u any harm, it will only do u good.

ppl cant do anything with the number except putting number into it.. diaoz diaoz diaoz diaoz

if anyone can obtain private info from bank account number, then everyone can just go the dustbins at posb, ocbc, uob atm machines, inside there got tonnes of banking slips with bank account number..

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: i have since woke up heartily

I remember sometime back there was a bank fraud case where info was stolen from banking slip bins at the ATM machines. Case was shown on CrimeWatch.

Yep thats true. By itself its not very useful, but a determined trickster/fraudster/hacker will get more info, enough to defraud or con you. Watch how you dispose of bills/letters that contain any personal/financial info.

Status
Not open for further replies.