Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsamhui

Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

would like to find out if anyone has been to Belgium During August time? I know it's about 18C average but not sure about August time. Because will be there 3 weeks so I hope to pack enough clothing but not over.

If you know of any good places for photo kindly suggest to me. I'll be exploring places for pre-wedding.

One last question, I know they speak German,Dutch and French. Wonder if average man on the street willy to communicate in english? (hope not like France )

Thanks for useful info.

Dave Koh

One place to go is Bruges also known as the Venice of the North. (You can see interesting parts of this town in the film "In Bruges" with Colin Farrel) From Bruges, you can drive to the coast and visit Ostende. Near Bruges, you also find the mediaval city of Damme. http://www.damme-online.com/gb.htm

Brussels and Gand are nice too : http://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm?id=4000

If you're looking at Brussels, they do speak a fairly good amount of English. In Brussels, it is mainly French + minority Dutch. In Bruges, IIRC, it is maily Dutch + minority French.

They do have some very nice places (in my opinion) in Brussels for Pre-wedding - If you're looking for the street with medieval feel (or those "In-transit") type of photos shoots.
They also have some very nice parks for the Garden feel.

hi

Should have nice weather in august - it might rain (drizzle) but nothing compare to singapore. (there's gonna be a heat wave in UK anyway) Travel is fairly easy in belgium, small country and train system very convenient. Most young people speak good english.

if you want to take medival structure (pre-wedding), bruges will be best (but i didn't like it too much - go watch the film In Bruges). I love brussels, and grent or antwerp - more contrast between old and new.

there should be tons of info out there... but here is the link of some of mine.

http://parameters.cc/Field/Belgium/Belgium01/index.html

One place to go is Bruges also known as the Venice of the North. (You can see interesting parts of this town in the film "In Bruges" with Colin Farrel) From Bruges, you can drive to the coast and visit Ostende. Near Bruges, you also find the mediaval city of Damme. http://www.damme-online.com/gb.htm

Brussels and Gand are nice too : http://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm?id=4000
yeah, i watched the movie and it's quite entertaining and Bruges look very charming.

I was told that actually the best French cuisine can be found in Belgium as well... If you interested in diamond... go Antwerp.

Hi,

thank you all for the useful info. I think want's important now is to build up my stamina, can't shoot much if tired to quickly.

I will be going with 2 others. This is sort of a work trip cum exploration.

These are the gears I intend to bring:
5D MK2
17-40 or 16-35
35mm
85mm
270 ex speedlight.

Still comtemplating taking along tripod and laptop.

Ok, here's a rather silly question: thought of using disposable cutton underwear for the whole trip, u think can keep warm? This question directed to guys only.

Thanks,
Dave Koh

I have heard that Antwerp is beautiful so I recommend going there.. I will be going there for 3 months starting in september. Bring an umbrella with you everywhere you go... it rains very suddenly and for like ten minutes so you should be prepared, especially if you'll have equipment with you.

Hi,

thank you all for the useful info. I think want's important now is to build up my stamina, can't shoot much if tired to quickly.

I will be going with 2 others. This is sort of a work trip cum exploration.

These are the gears I intend to bring:
5D MK2
17-40 or 16-35
35mm
85mm
270 ex speedlight.

Still comtemplating taking along tripod and laptop.

Ok, here's a rather silly question: thought of using disposable cutton underwear for the whole trip, u think can keep warm? This question directed to guys only.

Thanks,
Dave Koh
For lens choice, i will ditch the 35mm and go for another longer zoom or a multi-purpose zoom like 18-200. For tripod, what i usually realise is unless you go for a dedicated photography trip like those organised by PSS etc, you won;t really have chance to use it. These days, it can be a security hassle also..

I will bring it only if i know i have time to shoot at Sunrise/Sunset or night scene. Otherwise, just get a gorrillapod and carry whereever you go during the day.

hmm i was researching on belgium thru wiki and guidebooks, and it all looks really cool, typically european flair, but some of my friends say belgium is really quite boring and dead (ok you might have european architectural layouts but which other countries don't have them too?),

so, my qn for those who went belgium is, is it really that dull? and what would be an ideal no. of days to spend to soak up the essence of belgium?

i made comparisons to places like spain and czech republic, which i felt were really cool and lots of things to see and do.

Hi,

I am a Singaporean photographer living in Belgium. My site is www.michaelchia.eu. You can email with your questions. You definitely do not need army cotton underwear in August. I'll be off to the 'real' Venice for work tomorrow so reply will be slow...

Cheers.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.