Being superstitious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2006
instantgraphy.tumblr.com
Just a quick question, haven't been coming here for a long time.

I did a shoot for this client and I am suppose to collect the payment today. So when I called to arrange to meet in the morning, she said that she don't issue check in the morning. What is it so superstitious about issuing cheques in the morning?

I did a shoot for this client and I am suppose to collect the payment today. So when I called to arrange to meet in the morning, she said that she don't issue check in the morning. What is it so superstitious about issuing cheques in the morning?
when you want to collect money, ask for payment, best is call after 10am.

nobody like to ask to pay money early in the morning, especially Chinese.

I think, asking chinese for money in the morning means "破财“ to them. That means for the whole day they will have to fork up money.

haha I scold anyone who dares to talk to me about money matters before 11am. :)

My apologies for starting the thread at the wrong place.

I called slightly before 10am, hoping to get the payment soon. It's been dragging for a long long time [like 2 months?]. Didn't realise that there is such a practice.

Sometimes, people rely on superstitions as yet another tactic to avoid/delay payment. I've seen my fair share of the tricks and tips to avoid/delay payment, and this is just another of them.

I think a book can be written soon, something along the lines of "Idiot's Guide on how to Delay/Avoid your Creditors". Then all the tricks inside.

For those who don't want to pay money in the morning, ask them - if I PAY you money in the morning, you accept? Oh you dont want to talk about money in the morning, okay I won't pay you then. By the way, my working hours are only between 1am to 10am :) KEKEKEKEKEKE

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are sincere and really that superstitious, tell her, "Okay I'll meet you at your office at 1pm, no more excuses then".

I won't be surprised if she later comes up with something else, such as office closed, boss not around, signatory got meeting in afternoon etc etc.

I called slightly before 10am, hoping to get the payment soon. It's been dragging for a long long time [like 2 months?]. Didn't realise that there is such a practice.

I believe most banks clear cheques in the morning before 11am, so if anyone write u a cheque in the morning, u can deposit into the bank and got it clear on the same day. If the same guy write u a cheque in the afternoon, then u deposit into the bank and it can only be cleared the next day.
Sounds very petty but some ppl think that if they can hold on 1 more day cash they will feel very shiok.

she is kind enough to tell you don't issue check in the morning.

for some typical Chinese bosses, will show you black face, scold you, or call to scold your boss if you are sent by your boss.

Tell me about it. I've encountered accounts people who make it their life's mission to delay payment as long as possible. Some even think that their creditors will "get used" to it after a while and can therefore delay even longer!

I believe most banks clear cheques in the morning before 11am, so if anyone write u a cheque in the morning, u can deposit into the bank and got it clear on the same day. If the same guy write u a cheque in the afternoon, then u deposit into the bank and it can only be cleared the next day.
Sounds very petty but some ppl think that if they can hold on 1 more day cash they will feel very shiok.

If cannot wait, then called your lawyer loh..... they should be happy to pick up your call 24/7!! hahha.... Sue them loh.......... ;p

In Singapore????? No such luck. You deposit your CROSSED cheque before 2.30pm to 3pm it will clear the next working day ...after 2.30pm. There is no 11am cut off time for same day fund transfer to your accont. Personal and Corporate as far as I know. If you deposit a cheque at the bank after 3pm today,it will only be cleared the day after tomorrow. That's the fastest.

It has only gotten worst now with the 5 day banking. They don't count Saturday anymore. Meaning if you bank in today (Friday) before 3pm, you get it earliest Monday after 2.30pm but after 3pm Friday you bank in, you get your money only on Tuesday, after 2.30pm.

In anycase, payment delays are a fact of life anywhere. I guess it would be alot worst for now and the bad economy will bring up more "creative" means of delaying heheh...

all nonsense .... anytime is ok if the client wants to.
It's all excuses ....
Some will say, dont ask for payment end of the month because my account too busy end of month, then begining of month, ac dept very busy begining of month, then middle of month, account usually issue cheque end of month, then dont chase payment during the first 15th days of Lunar New Year, then this, then that ....

If it is due, just chase ....:dunno:

So there's an agreement for payment today by your client?

Always issue an invoice stating terms and condition, signed and save the trouble waiting.

Yup if not, there's always Small Claims :)

Tell me about it. I've encountered accounts people who make it their life's mission to delay payment as long as possible. Some even think that their creditors will "get used" to it after a while and can therefore delay even longer!

What irritates me is the usage of cheques. I have issued my last cheque 10 years ago and since then I do everything using deductions, standing orders and Giro transfer (ok, that was outside of Singapore). Works like charm and it's reliable. Here in Singapore I encountered several cases where the cheque payment was hold back by the issuer after I deposited the cheque. All I see is "On Hold" but I can't access the money. After asking the bank and the issuer for several days then suddenly the money get's released. What nonsense is that?

In Singapore????? No such luck. You deposit your CROSSED cheque before 2.30pm to 3pm it will clear the next working day ...after 2.30pm. There is no 11am cut off time for same day fund transfer to your accont. Personal and Corporate as far as I know. If you deposit a cheque at the bank after 3pm today,it will only be cleared the day after tomorrow. That's the fastest.

It has only gotten worst now with the 5 day banking. They don't count Saturday anymore. Meaning if you bank in today (Friday) before 3pm, you get it earliest Monday after 2.30pm but after 3pm Friday you bank in, you get your money only on Tuesday, after 2.30pm.

In anycase, payment delays are a fact of life anywhere. I guess it would be alot worst for now and the bad economy will bring up more "creative" means of delaying heheh...

chqs are to deposit before 3:30pm in order to for the fund to be available the next working day, if the chq cleared.

sorry don't bring your superstitions into your workplace. Owe marnie pay marnie

Status
Not open for further replies.