Being a photographer should.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How you should does not matter cos the end product speaks for itself. Sometimes I shooot in P mode even. LOL. Most of the time I shoot in A-mode, and during some event I shoot in S-mode. Why so concerned? People talk down if you use other mode? Ask them to shop a better photo of the same one before talking down. If they produce one ok sure bow down to them, but ignore them if they cannot.

I will not shoot action with M mode! I cant even handle MF properly cos I wear specs and have astigmatism, so my eye focus ALSO have problem LOL. I trust the camera AF more hehehe.

Enjoy the process man!

Last edited:
Put it this way, which of these 2 will you consider to be a photographer?

1) One who knows his stuffs well (exposure, aperture, shutter speed etc.), but uses A/S/P modes because he knows that the camera will choose the settings for him.

or

2) One who doesn't know his stuffs, just keep on shooting and adjusting the settings till he get it right, or simply just follow the camera metering.

Most important is to enjoy the photos you shot and the outcome of the picture, what for compare which mode you're on?

As a photographer, most fundatmatel things is to understand what is exposure, what is the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture, and how the camera meter works.

modern cameras can do all these fully automatically for you (photographers), so many people don't think there is a need to learn about manual mode. that is perfectly fine, since it suit most people needs.

well, if a photographer decide to move to a more advance stage, he/she must have the understanding of the exposure and have total control of it.

no point arguing which mode is better or superior, since that is base on individual needs or call.

shooting in manual mode will take some time to pick up.
I use aperture and shutter priority to learn more about the right settings for different situations.

manual mode is not that difficult. however, you will need to pay more attention to metering.
i use it somewhat like the priority modes.

set the aperture i think is necessary, then adjust the shutter timing until the metering is about fine. (provided your metering is fine.)
=)

Personally, what I think separates a good and a bad photographer is more about photo composition rather than aperture or shutter knowledge.
That is why pple can earn tonnes of money from stock photos or from books teaching how to attain nice photo compositions that invoke emotions in the viewer.

Last edited:

1) One who knows his stuffs well (exposure, aperture, shutter speed etc.), but uses A/S/P modes because he knows that the camera will choose the settings for him.

or

2) One who doesn't know his stuffs, just keep on shooting and adjusting the settings till he get it right, or simply just follow the camera metering.

Most important is to enjoy the photos you shot and the outcome of the picture, what for compare which mode you're on?

Both are photographers, except the first one knows what they're doing, the latter haven't got a clue but both produce the same results hahah.

Seriously its like racing, everybody can drive fast but knowing how to race is a totally different thing, you learn about techniques and from trial and errors you become experienced.

I use manual mode but putting the camera in auto tells me a lot about how the camera decides on the best settings. I learned a lot just by comparing with the controls manually and seeing any benefits. Sometimes auto mode gets everything that I want so I don't bother with manual, but there are cases where the camera will use ISO 1600 where 800 would have been better and less noisier.

or

both might produce good results, but 1) is going to be able to handle a greater variety of situations than 2), i.e. get more keepers.

why?

it's simple, in summary, photography is definitely about chance, but good photographers who know what they are doing are surely, going to make better use of the chance than bad ones.

Both are photographers, except the first one knows what they're doing, the latter haven't got a clue but both produce the same results hahah.

Seriously its like racing, everybody can drive fast but knowing how to race is a totally different thing, you learn about techniques and from trial and errors you become experienced.

I use manual mode but putting the camera in auto tells me a lot about how the camera decides on the best settings. I learned a lot just by comparing with the controls manually and seeing any benefits. Sometimes auto mode gets everything that I want so I don't bother with manual, but there are cases where the camera will use ISO 1600 where 800 would have been better and less noisier.

both might produce good results, but 1) is going to be able to handle a greater variety of situations than 2), i.e. get more keepers.

why?

it's simple, in summary, photography is definitely about chance, but good photographers who know what they are doing are surely, going to make better use of the chance than bad ones.

I should put it this way, "which of these 2 will you consider to be a better photographer?" :)

Haha .Hack you're making fun of me :-D Of course I can't compete with someone with over 15,000 posts.

Haha .Hack you're making fun of me :-D Of course I can't compete with someone with over 15,000 posts.

Ermm.. Pardon me.. But what's this gotta do with the examples i posted? :sweat:

I thought you were comparing me and nightmare86.

Haha.. Nope.

I was just restructuring my sentence from my post.
From "which of these 2 will you consider to be a photographer?"
To "which of these 2 will you consider to be a better photographer?"

Not comparing you to any of the bros here. :D

If you shoot at fully automatic yet achieve what you want in the photo.. that's fine!

this is the best answer to the OP.
just like a good writer doesn't need to fully understand how his type-writer (or word processor) works - as long as he makes good writings (or photos, for the photographer)

Yeah no problem, but the "example" you used could be quite relevant to the question that you were asking, at my expense!

The reasons why I personally use Manual mode for all situations is because,

1. I learn more about what each component (ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture) does.

2. I hate it when the camera decides something for me, I feel that I am a slave to it. (This is a personal opinion) Like you set aperture to F8 for group shots, but then due to the lighting, the shutter speed fall to 1/30s in Aperture Priority mode, and you have to take the shot quickly. (while in manual, I am able to probably increase it to 1/50s and increase exposure in Photoshop)

3. Lastly, I can take photos in all situations, if i know what to do with the camera. (except where no photography is allowed, complete darkness without the use of flash, etc)

2. I hate it when the camera decides something for me, I feel that I am a slave to it. (This is a personal opinion) Like you set aperture to F8 for group shots, but then due to the lighting, the shutter speed fall to 1/30s in Aperture Priority mode, and you have to take the shot quickly. (while in manual, I am able to probably increase it to 1/50s and increase exposure in Photoshop)

3. Lastly, I can take photos in all situations, if i know what to do with the camera. (except where no photography is allowed, complete darkness without the use of flash, etc)

I used to do that, then i realised: Heck, fiddling with exposure bias is a whole lot more easier :think: (except for flash photog, where i always use manual)

As for being a slave to the camera, i think of it in a totally different way! Rather the camera is my slave so when i tell it 'f5.6, EV +1/3', it damn well better do the appropiate calculations for me :bsmilie:

Like you set aperture to F8 for group shots, but then due to the lighting, the shutter speed fall to 1/30s in Aperture Priority mode, and you have to take the shot quickly. (while in manual, I am able to probably increase it to 1/50s and increase exposure in Photoshop)

You can use exposure compensation for that.

To achieve taking beautiful/nice/stunning photos, as a photographer should shoot only in
M mode (manual)?

If I'm using Auto mode (fully auto) or Aperture priority or shutter priority which may result in good photos taken too. Does this mean that I'm not a photographer? :cry:

Actually, now that I've thought about it again, shouldn't the photographer be manually focusing his lens too? Haha... Want manual must go manual all the way mah...

Actually, now that I've thought about it again, shouldn't the photographer be manually focusing his lens too? Haha... Want manual must go manual all the way mah...

Manual all the way? Then photography is a lazy man's art.

Getting light to paint for you when you should be using brushes and paint! :think:

Last edited:
Manual all the way? Then photography is a lazy man's art.

Getting lighting to paint for you when you should be using brushes and paint! :think:

brushes and paint are also the lazy man's way

REAL MEN

use their finger and blood :angel::angel: on flaps of their own skin

Status
Not open for further replies.