Behaviour of other photographers along the street

gundamseed84

Dec 12, 2009
Just share something I observed today which I find it quite unpleasant. There was free performance along sg river and I had waited at my chosen spot 1.5 hrs before show start to get a good position. Then right before the performance start, one uncle just stood directly in front of the stage and took out his mini foldable ladder steps and just stood high up above the rest to take his shots while obstructing me and other photographers view.

The point is that he is not even the officical photographer, so if you were me what would you do other than just suck thumb? :(

If I were you I'll show him my :flame: and nx time bring my ladder steps too:devil:

wah obviously old and no manner

and so it begins again

If I were you I'll show him my :flame: and nx time bring my ladder steps too:devil:

Lol next time the shortest wins because the rest will be high up on their ladders and there will be space on ground level. :bsmilie:

The funny thing was the performers sprayed water through a hose to the people in front and that uncle kena right in the face with his camera...wonder what will happen to his lens haha...

and so it begins again

Got to admit, I agree with you :) have not been to one of these events to see what happens, but if memory serves correctly there was someone on this forum who got so fed-up in one of these events that he/she even posted photos of the ladder-guy.... maybe people should shoot more street, flowers architecture etc ?? :)

-- marios

..... a loud "Oi ! Move away !" should do it.... or just walk up to the photog and nicely tell him to move it... otherwise complain to organizer

If you just keep quiet , your silence is telling him " Its OK, go ahead and block everyone's view, no problem, enjoy yourself".... it means you accept the situation....... so dont come here and complain.... sorry brother, I am trying my best to be sympathetic .... but I cant.... especially if you've not made at least some effort to make it known to the ladder-guy that he is in the way.

They do this because they know you guys are just like sheep/chicken ...... LL and keep quiet...... then later 'cluck cluck' or 'baa baa' here.... nobody wants to be the 'bad guy'....

I am NOT saying using ladder is OK or NOT OK...... but if you are not happy, then let it be known..... otherwise.... read my signature below

Last edited:
i guess getting a foldable ladder is much more useful then a tripod.. any carbon fiber ladder on sale?:bsmilie:

the use of step ladders have been around since short ppl existed...

but I believe the problem is that guy taking ur spot. how did u book the a space anyways? if really is snatch spot, just tell him u had been camping for that place and ask him to kindly move aside.

Last edited:
maybe a faction from the ladder gang:dunno: seriously, i'd give a short but sharp "OIII!!" just like what ed9119 mentioned. you've been there 1.5hrs earlier, but that uncle simply appear out of nowhere and took a spot that blocked you and others.

now that's something which i personally won't let it pass by. if he's alone, approach him and tell him straight away. ask him, do you want a 'nicely done' reminder or an 'overly done' type. coz, if no one tells him, his ignorance level will elevate higher coupled with the ego of carrying a ladder and dslr. now that's a poor reflection of local photographer in my opinion

Shoot him and then post it big big in this thread, stomper, newspaper, blog, twitter and even facebook... then that inconsiderate uncle would be 'famous'!

And then report him to the photographic society and event organisers so that he will be 'blacklisted' and banned from the phototaking session.

Just take out your mobile phone and take a few shots of the 'shameless ladder man' and post it up online. The event organizers should also take the initiative remove human obstructions that would hinder others from enjoying the show.

Shoot him and then post it big big in this thread, stomper, newspaper, blog, twitter and even facebook... then that inconsiderate uncle would be 'famous'!

And then report him to the photographic society and event organisers so that he will be 'blacklisted' and banned from the phototaking session.

He's 'famous'! I've met him a few times already. Everytime sure have someone quarrel with him :bsmilie:

He's 'famous'! I've met him a few times already. Everytime sure have someone quarrel with him :bsmilie:

In that case, I think he's too thick skinned to be "oi"-ed away, or even care if you take his pic. Next best thing... get rid of his ladder for him. Okay.. you didn't hear that from me. :angel:

let me guess,is he short, dark and look like in his fifties ?

let me guess,is he short, dark and look like in his fifties ?

short not really, around 165 - 172?

Not fifties, can see white hair so I was guessing around 60 haha.

Ya alittle dark skinned.

I think is ok to use his ladder or whatsoever but not directly in the middle and so near the stage such that his head is popping above the stage platform and people cannot see the full body image of the performers. If he is further back or at the side I don't mind shifting my position but based on his position no matter where I shift he will be the way haha.

New tool: Ladder with built in ballhead to mount camera and lens.

N P N T :bsmilie: