Beginning Lomo Photography

matthewchj

Jun 3, 2010
Singapore
Hey guys, posted this in the medium format forum but thought i'd post it here too.

I've been shooting with a DSLR all my life, but lately I've been interested in trying out film photography, mainly lomo and toy camera kinda stuff.

I'm looking to get a Holga camera, but the main thing I'm worried about now is film format.

I'd love to get a medium format Holga, but I'm kinda worried about the availability of film and developing, as well as the price (I'm a student), so I was thinking of getting the 35mm one instead.

How easy and affordable is it to buy and develop medium format film here? What are the advantages/disadvantages of shooting a Holga in medium format or 35mm?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, I'm kinda new to this side of photography.

welcome to the lomo-side :)

the holga is great camera to start with for its format and different assy it can take, more on the experimental side. shooting in 120 or 35 format will come down to your own preference but i would recommend to shoot 120 cuz its a holga in the first place.. the vignetting effect will come down much more if you shoot with a 35mm back.

no worries for the availability of film and developing as they are still easily reachable in sg. price wise? i wouldn't say its cheap to develop, let alone the scanning part(if you don;t have a film scanner..) you can do a quick search in the forum for the price range from different labs.

i do most of the developing at triple D over at burlington sqaure.

hey, haha, if u are interested, i am organising a full day shoot at old french embassy this coming mon or tues, followed by Istana Woodnuek

welcome to the lomo-side :)

the holga is great camera to start with for its format and different assy it can take, more on the experimental side. shooting in 120 or 35 format will come down to your own preference but i would recommend to shoot 120 cuz its a holga in the first place.. the vignetting effect will come down much more if you shoot with a 35mm back.

How about the Holgas that are specifically designed to shoot 35mm? Will the vignetting be any different from the 120 Holga?

How about the Holgas that are specifically designed to shoot 35mm? Will the vignetting be any different from the 120 Holga?

Those Holga 135BC ... the BC suppose to mean 'black corners' I think. They designed it so that the 4 corners will give u some vignetting, which is totally different from using the 120 ones. For the 120 ones ... the vignetting are 'design flaws' (and doesn't appear all the time, depending on lighting) ... but the 135BC ... the vignetting seems to be 'built in'. :D Go get a normal 120 Holga ... then get a 35mm back if you wanna shoot 35mm. This way, you can try both formats. :D