Beginner's package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I've been interested in photography for quite some time but never really picked up on the interest. Seeing all those nice pics u guys have sure re-motivated me :D

I've never had a SLR, and am wondering what type of camera and extras a beginner should get.... most likely will be taking pictures of animals or scenary, budget is hopefully under $800. Don't mind an older model or 2nd hand.

Any advice? :)

Try the Canon 300V - affordable and basic...I started of with that for my Basic Photography Course and it worked wonders...:rbounce:

Yah

300v is good. didnt regret buying that

Re-motivated...?? that's mean you used to own a camera... where is that camera now...??

Originally posted by Jean
...Seeing all those nice pics u guys have sure re-motivated me :D

I mean remotivated the interest.... :p

My old cameras were family cameras..... point and shoot types, and someone juz gave me a mju 300 as a gift few mths ago, so I've never owned a SLR

EOS300V + EF28-105mm + Sigma 70-300mm APO Super II

should be a good combo for your budget.

wait for the G5..hehehe!
seriously, i find that using a digital cam makes learning about exposure that much faster....

Originally posted by Astin
Hi, if you suddenly decide to shoot some pretty face models, let me know. I organize regular studio model shoot on the weekends. Refer this thread for details.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33170

Thanks for the offer, but currently not interested in studio shots, and I don't think I'm qualified enough... I know nuts :dunno:

:)

Since u like shooting animals, a long tele lens would come in handy. There are currently 2 packages currently on offer which includes 75-300mm tele lens.. tempting but I'm not sure which is better.. :)

Canon EOS 300 + 28-90 lens + 75-300 lens + dry cabinet for $798
http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=promo_slrcamera

Nikon F65 + 28-100 lens + 75-300 lens for $699
http://www.nikon.com.sg/promotions/F65_2003/F65_2003.htm

You can also try out the Minolta Dynax 5, which is value for the features vs $$ ratio and highly appraised for its value by various photography magazines and awards.

I bought my Dynax 404si 2 years ago just to test out my interest in photography and pretty much enjoyed the simplicity of its operations, reliability and especially at that time, its cost. As a student, I can't afford the high end models until I was sure I'm willing to invest more $$ and most importantly, time, in photography.

Originally posted by Jean
I mean remotivated the interest.... :p

My old cameras were family cameras..... point and shoot types, and someone juz gave me a mju 300 as a gift few mths ago, so I've never owned a SLR

Welcome to the club!! :gbounce: :rbounce: :gbounce:

Yes yes, you can get lots of valuable advises here. Equipments (a bit dangerous sometime tho :devil: , soon you'll know the reason), shootings, outings, yay!

How about join us at SEED next wed, face to face chit chat might helps you understand your needs better. :)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35673

Errm.... a bit pai seh to join.... especially when I know next to nothing :embrass:

I'll check out the suggestions for cameras..... thanks! :)

I've never had a SLR, and am wondering what type of camera and extras a beginner should get.... most likely will be taking pictures of animals or scenary, budget is hopefully under $800. Don't mind an older model or 2nd hand.

nikon FM3a + 28mm/f2.8 + 80-200mm/f2.8

Originally posted by eug
Try to stay away from these 2 lens.

Looking at the current EF lens lineup.. I'm guessing the 2 bundled lens are the following... All also no good?

EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 USM
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III or EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III or EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

These two lens are not sharp and tend to be soft at the long end ... chances are you'll grow out of it very quickly, hence better to getting something better right from the start, the 28-90mm is inevitable because it comes bundled ... with the consumer bodies ... just my 2 cents worth ... any CSers want to defend these 2 lens??

Status
Not open for further replies.