Beginner's guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolrence

Oct 15, 2006
I'm looking for a guitar is the 200-300 price range.. my friend recommended the Fina FAW 3150, (I know of someone who's selling a 2nd hand one, which I guess should be better cause the sound would have opened up?) and another recommended me a Maestro (not sure which model.. heard that their QC is bad though..).. I don't have prev. experience in guitars (not even playing it), but need one cause I'm starting lessons in a few weeks time.. any comments on those 2 brands, or other good recommendations? :)

I'm looking for a guitar is the 200-300 price range.. my friend recommended the Fina FAW 3150, (I know of someone who's selling a 2nd hand one, which I guess should be better cause the sound would have opened up?) and another recommended me a Maestro (not sure which model.. heard that their QC is bad though..).. I don't have prev. experience in guitars (not even playing it), but need one cause I'm starting lessons in a few weeks time.. any comments on those 2 brands, or other good recommendations? :)
What type strings? different type guitars. Ibanez made reasonably good guitars for learners.

../azul123

What type strings? different type guitars. Ibanez made reasonably good guitars for learners.

../azul123

Oh forgot to mention. Acoustic, metal strings.

u can get Maestro only at excelsior shopping center, B1-30 or esplanade
or TGM is also not bad ..

range should be around $120-$180
>$250 for those semi-series (can be connected to amp)

acoustic...

go to peninsula, look for this brand called Jack & Daniel, although made in china, the tone is good, the bass is deep and rich. price? $180 only

was surprised. went to help a friend choose a guitar.. surfed through a couple of branded instruments but not satisfying..

u can get Maestro only at excelsior shopping center, B1-30 or esplanade
or TGM is also not bad ..

range should be around $120-$180
>$250 for those semi-series (can be connected to amp)

Thank you. Another friend of mine will be going down with me to test out those guitars, which coincidentally, he too recommended. :bsmilie:

Any specific models I should be looking at?

acoustic...

go to peninsula, look for this brand called Jack & Daniel, although made in china, the tone is good, the bass is deep and rich. price? $180 only

was surprised. went to help a friend choose a guitar.. surfed through a couple of branded instruments but not satisfying..

I've heard of Jack and Daniel (or is it Danny?) too. Seems like it's really value for money.. which model did u look at?

How about Yamaha? The quality's generally good.

Which genre of music are you planning to go into?

How about Yamaha? The quality's generally good.

Which genre of music are you planning to go into?

I've heard bad things about Yamaha.. haha. I'm not sure which genre yet, but probably folk? Hmm.. Does the genre matter?

I've heard bad things about Yamaha.. haha. I'm not sure which genre yet, but probably folk? Hmm.. Does the genre matter?

The onli 2 "bad" things I know about Yamaha is the price and the strings.

otherwise, pretty good.

acoustic...

Thank you. Another friend of mine will be going down with me to test out those guitars, which coincidentally, he too recommended. :bsmilie:

Any specific models I should be looking at?

J&D also not bad as mention by psy...
the design and the sound produce by the guitar is very personal thing
just look for 1 within your budget will be good

some will come with bag/pick/tuner/strap etc etc as a package
a electric tuner will be more impt for beginner . . else usually play with wrong tune ;)

The onli 2 "bad" things I know about Yamaha is the price and the strings.

otherwise, pretty good.

Yup, mostly the price. I wanna find a guitar that's the most value for money. :)

J&D also not bad as mention by psy...
the design and the sound produce by the guitar is very personal thing
just look for 1 within your budget will be good

some will come with bag/pick/tuner/strap etc etc as a package
a electric tuner will be more impt for beginner . . else usually play with wrong tune ;)

Yea, I just wanna get more recommendations, and test all those ones listed out next week.. but seems like everyone is recommending me all diff brands :confused:

I have a tuner, but it's a cheap one.. I'm not sure whether it's entirely accurate..
I'm actually more concerned about the sound than the accessories :bsmilie:

Yea, I just wanna get more recommendations, and test all those ones listed out next week.. but seems like everyone is recommending me all diff brands :confused:

I have a tuner, but it's a cheap one.. I'm not sure whether it's entirely accurate..
I'm actually more concerned about the sound than the accessories :bsmilie:

What's most important is that you like the feel & tone (& that the guitar will not fall apart on you :bsmilie:) eg. some electric guitarists worship ibanez while I prefer Fender

A tuning fork will be more than enough for tuning.

I've heard of Jack and Daniel (or is it Danny?) too. Seems like it's really value for money.. which model did u look at?

i forgot the model number.. haha

i agree that sound is personnal although i myself is a tone freak (except that i play classical thats all, where tone and instrument quality is all the more important).

Jack and Danny or daniel? cant remember!.. the one i tried came in natural varnish, or painted, i.e. red and black.. i myself was also intrigued by the unique tone of that instrument, that is deep, and mellow, definitely very fun to play as compared to the bright yamahas. my friend came with a $500 budget, but eventually made the $180 purchase, because he liked the depth of the bass.. that nice deep metallic low.. almost bought one myself too..

it reminded pretty much of the lowden that i used to like a lot though.

Hi ...

I had the same problem some time ago and in the end I resort to borrowing a guitar from a friend (thank God he has a spare!). I just felt that I needed time to know whether my interest is sustainable and I'll also need more time to do my homework (talking to others about their feedback, visit the shops to test them out and at the same time gain some personal insights on what ticks for me as I go through the lessons).

For me, I really hate to rush in, get a guitar and regret later ...

Hope this helps ... btw where are going for your lessons? I'm with Believer Music ... ;)

Hi ...

I had the same problem some time ago and in the end I resort to borrowing a guitar from a friend (thank God he has a spare!). I just felt that I needed time to know whether my interest is sustainable and I'll also need more time to do my homework (talking to others about their feedback, visit the shops to test them out and at the same time gain some personal insights on what ticks for me as I go through the lessons).

For me, I really hate to rush in, get a guitar and regret later ...

Hope this helps ... btw where are going for your lessons? I'm with Believer Music ... ;)

I've been wanting to learn the guitar since young.. but never really had the chance nor time to.. It's just for personal pleasure and occasional playing with friends (and for girls ;)).. Oh, don't worry about me backing out.. haha. I have a bad(?) habit of really going deep into a hobby once it catches my attention =)

i forgot the model number.. haha

i agree that sound is personnal although i myself is a tone freak (except that i play classical thats all, where tone and instrument quality is all the more important).

Jack and Danny or daniel? cant remember!.. the one i tried came in natural varnish, or painted, i.e. red and black.. i myself was also intrigued by the unique tone of that instrument, that is deep, and mellow, definitely very fun to play as compared to the bright yamahas. my friend came with a $500 budget, but eventually made the $180 purchase, because he liked the depth of the bass.. that nice deep metallic low.. almost bought one myself too..

it reminded pretty much of the lowden that i used to like a lot though.

I want a guitar that sounds more natural.. something with a clear sound.. not bass bloomy or too bright sounding.. (If you know about headphones, I want the Beyers, not the Grados nor the Seinheissers nor the Sonys :bsmilie:) Definitely something as full sounding as possible (within my budget).

Take up classical guitar lessons. It's good foundation for other genre, especially fingering style.

Status
Not open for further replies.