Beginners Bird Photography Setup - What to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maltese

Mar 21, 2005
Singapore
Hi,

I would like some information from Nikon Bird shooters on what would be a good investment to start with. Personally I'm a Canon user but I want an open mind to other brands as well since my world has only been Canon.

The primary use is of course, digital. Beginner stage, an adult serious bird shooter so don't wanna waste money on very cheap setup then sell, buy along the way when she improves....kindda like what we do years ago. She wanted a full featured digital body mostly done when travel, elderly so cannot haul along big guns so 500mm prime is really out.

A browse on Nikon sites points me to the D200 and AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR. Nevetheless I'm not sure whether does Nikon DX lenses will have any problem with future true 1x view factor camera bodies. My experience with Canon is that Canon digital lenses cannot be use on the higher end, 1x view factor digital bodies such as 5D and above. I don't know whether Nikon does their marketing this way or not. I'm catering for future body upgrades to work with existing digital Nikon lenses hence the lenses part would best be workable with future bodies.

Any kind souls would want to recommend me other setups. Price wise would be about $4000+. Advanced bird shooters may want to suggest what is the best setup for very serious bird shooting. Do kindly point me to a price idea and when I can get them.

200 ain't really enough for birding. how about 300mm + 2x/1.7x TC. this would give a total of 800-900mm (35mm equiv). but 4000+ for this setup is near impossible unless you got some v. cheap 2h deal. d200 alone is near 3k alone
and since you already have canon, y not stick wif ur current canon body, and use the 4k+ to get a 300mm f4 lens + TC?

ExplorerZ said:
200 ain't really enough for birding. how about 300mm + 2x/1.7x TC. this would give a total of 800-900mm (35mm equiv). but 4000+ for this setup is near impossible unless you got some v. cheap 2h deal. d200 alone is near 3k alone
and since you already have canon, y not stick wif ur current canon body, and use the 4k+ to get a 300mm f4 lens + TC?
D2x + Lens range from either AF-S 300mm / 400mm F2.8 +TC1.7, or AF-S 500mm / 600mm F4. :thumbsup:

D70s - 1.4k?
AFS 300/4 - 1.5k?
TC17EII - 500

Still got left over for mem cards and filters.

- very good tripod
- very good ballhead

plus

option 1
- lens min 400mmf2.8 unless you if have a way to get very near
- d50/d70s will do

or

option 2
- nikon fieldscope http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle.php?pageid=87
- adapter to your new CP4200/5200

option 1 budget blow, option 2 do able but still you will need very good tripod.
Even with VR 400mm I am not able to handheld and shoot.

Since your existing body is a canon there is no point getting nikon lens even tho you can get adapter ring to mount nikon lens.

You get better advise with your canon folks with your current setup.

YMMV

Nikon has strict commitment to DX lenses and wun be releasing FF bodies for the near future.

Cheesecake said:
i only have this outdated info from oct 2004. I read it last year. Din't know time flies that fast. http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/other/2004/10/01/181.html
translated into roughly, "they announced DX format 1 year ago (2003) and will continue to develope it for the next 3 years (2007?) up to D100 replacement" D200 was annouced..:think: which comes to think.. the sudden hype of rumours for Nikon going FF :dunno: ;p. FF with HSC to 1.5X rumour sounds good. Photokina 06 is going to be exciting.

haven't been able to fish out any newer source of info for renewed commitment to DX/APS sized lenses.

maybe TMC can translate it better?

Our "near future" is reaching.

Nikon ROCKS! :thumbsup:

yanyewkay said:
Nikon has strict commitment to DX lenses and wun be releasing FF bodies for the near future.

and? :dunno: :bsmilie: I dunno but I love the crop factor, does not affect me for one especially in birding.

Maltese said:
Hi,

I would like some information from Nikon Bird shooters on what would be a good investment to start with. Personally I'm a Canon user but I want an open mind to other brands as well since my world has only been Canon.

The primary use is of course, digital. Beginner stage, an adult serious bird shooter so don't wanna waste money on very cheap setup then sell, buy along the way when she improves....kindda like what we do years ago. She wanted a full featured digital body mostly done when travel, elderly so cannot haul along big guns so 500mm prime is really out.

A browse on Nikon sites points me to the D200 and AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR. Nevetheless I'm not sure whether does Nikon DX lenses will have any problem with future true 1x view factor camera bodies. My experience with Canon is that Canon digital lenses cannot be use on the higher end, 1x view factor digital bodies such as 5D and above. I don't know whether Nikon does their marketing this way or not. I'm catering for future body upgrades to work with existing digital Nikon lenses hence the lenses part would best be workable with future bodies.

Any kind souls would want to recommend me other setups. Price wise would be about $4000+. Advanced bird shooters may want to suggest what is the best setup for very serious bird shooting. Do kindly point me to a price idea and when I can get them.

if u want good tips, drop a PM to avatar, chngpe01 or harlequin. :thumbsup:

Maltese said:
Hi,

4000+ is hard to get a decent setup IMHO. I feel that 400mm is a minimum here and the D200 would be a good choice as well. But again, you need a solid tripod setup and that would cause a fair bit too. :)

Cheers!

rebbot said:
and? :dunno: :bsmilie: I dunno but I love the crop factor, does not affect me for one especially in birding.
TS was worried about "existing digital Nikon lenses hence the lenses part would best be workable with future bodies."

I assumed digital lenses meant DX lenses and future bodies meant FF becos he brought about a comparison in the earlier sentence.

Don't get me wrong I love DX lenses and crop factor.

In fact I love everything about Nikon, regardless of FF or not! :thumbsup:

Get a D50 and a Tokina 80-400mm. That's the cheapest setup.

nightwolf75 said:
if u want good tips, drop a PM to avatar, chngpe01 or harlequin. :thumbsup:
Wah.. si beh sabo ah you :sticktong:

haha d50 with sigma 50-500hsm?

yanyewkay said:
i only have this outdated info from oct 2004. I read it last year. Din't know time flies that fast. http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/other/2004/10/01/181.html
translated into roughly, "they announced DX format 1 year ago (2003) and will continue to develope it for the next 3 years (2007?) up to D100 replacement" D200 was annouced..:think: which comes to think.. the sudden hype of rumours for Nikon going FF :dunno: ;p. FF with HSC to 1.5X rumour sounds good. Photokina 06 is going to be exciting.

haven't been able to fish out any newer source of info for renewed commitment to DX/APS sized lenses.

maybe TMC can translate it better?

Our "near future" is reaching.

dun get me wrong. :bsmilie:
but it sure sounds 'exciting' with FF in the near horizons. :thumbsup:

HHL. ExplorerZ::nono: that's not an original Nikon lens, later get :kok:. what about the SD-8A and SB800 with flash extender.

back to TS, what do you mean by 'full featured body'?

Status
Not open for further replies.