beginner's bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzatan

Jun 16, 2009
need advice regarding bags.
i'm kinda new to it all, have a d90 18-105. Will probably be investing in a 50mm as well as a flash in the next few mths.

i'm looking at the lowepro bags. I prefer the backpacks, but I'm wondering whether access to the camera is easier with the shoulder bags. Budget about $120 or thereabouts.
which shop in singapore has a good range of lowepro bags and is a good place to pick up a bag ....

Open to other brands too ... tho lowepro seems highly popular.

your thoughts? thx

fingers too quick for my own good. sorry .. i meant beginner's bag.

Try Orient Photo, Sim Lim, 6th floor (and DO ignore all other shops there). Plenty of bags, nice and friendly stuff, take your time to check out all the different types.

For this amount of equipment, please examine Lowepro EX180 or something similar

when u buy a backpack, soon you will start thinking about another shoulder bag, waist pack. if you buy a shoulder bag, soon you will think of another waist pack, backback. base on many of experience, you will soon have some of either these. when u buy a small bag soon you will be thinking of a larger bag etc. welcome to clubsnap.

when u buy a backpack, soon you will start thinking about another shoulder bag, waist pack. if you buy a shoulder bag, soon you will think of another waist pack, backback. base on many of experience, you will soon have some of either these. when u buy a small bag soon you will be thinking of a larger bag etc. welcome to clubsnap.

I totally agree with this. it will be tough finding the "right bag". but for speed of getting equipment out, of course shoulder or sling bags would do the trick.

If you do long hikes or travel a lot with your equipment, a backpack is the way to go to manage the weight.

lowepro, crumpler, tamrac, nat geo, and others. I suggest you also take a look at the buy and sell thread here to get a better idea of what people are using, letting go and for what reasons.

good luck!

well...if you are planning to expand your collection, can one shot get a backpack type.

if more or less you dont intend to have so much kit, the "Nikon" Lowepro 190AW is a good bag if no idea what you want.

I thought the is a standard "Nikon" Lowepro 190AW bag come with Nikon kit set? Yes? No?

anyway, you need some time to find an "ideal" bag, and this "ideal" bag will change from time to time, like expending equipments, changing shooting genre/style etc. and you won't know what will work for you until you really use a bag after sometime.

so just get a bag, put the camera and lenses inside, go out and shoot, slowly you will find out what type of bag you really looking for.

hope this help.

Why not check out the Lowepro Fastpack series. They're backpacks with fast camera access.
You can consider waist packs as well. Thinktanks are well built more expensive due to better built & material. Else you can chk out the Lowepro Inverse series as well. They usually can function as a waist bag as well as a sling bag

I thought the is a standard "Nikon" Lowepro 190AW bag come with Nikon kit set? Yes? No?

anyway, you need some time to find an "ideal" bag, and this "ideal" bag will change from time to time, like expending equipments, changing shooting genre/style etc. and you won't know what will work for you until you really use a bag after sometime.

so just get a bag, put the camera and lenses inside, go out and shoot, slowly you will find out what type of bag you really looking for.

hope this help.
Thats right...a lot of beginners straightaway look for bags without checking what the lowepro can do. what i recommend is use the lowepro first and once the user knows what is needed in the bag then buy one that suits the requirement.

Of course if have money to burn then can ignore the above.

Last edited:
i wouldn't get a lowepro honestly

i'd get a domke for a little bit more

and ideal bags, yes do change when you have different priorities

hi, me too i just got a D90 yesterday first time learner, i just wonder is there a outing for beginner to learn photography in july ha. realy eager to join and learn

hi, me too i just got a D90 yesterday first time learner, i just wonder is there a outing for beginner to learn photography in july ha. realy eager to join and learn

I think you're off-topic in this thread. ;) welcome though!

thanx for the comments guys.
i've identified 2 backpacks that offer quick access - lowepro fastpack 200 & kata 3N1-20. Pros and cons to both, and I haven't quite decided which one to get.
Strangely I prefer the design of the lowepro, and it's substantially cheaper than the kata. The kata is better built, and likely protects better.

One thing though I'm not sure about though. Both bags are not waterproof, but I'm wondering whether the material used is water resistant. I'm not going to be walking around in thundery showers, so I won't require the covers. But I may be caught in a light shower and I'm wondering if the material used in both bags will repel light showers or will I need the cover.

Yes they should be fairly water-resistant. I got caught in sudden downpours several times. Inside of the bag still dry, even though in my haste I didn't manage to fully close and zip up the bag.

DSLRs are quite tough beasts as well. Don't need to treat them like antique museum pieces.

i wouldn't get a lowepro honestly

i'd get a domke for a little bit more

and ideal bags, yes do change when you have different priorities

care to share why?
You've basically eliminated an entire company with dozens upon dozens of models of camera bags. Are they all not good? Why are they still doing well? Are the people who bought them idiots?

I have a slingshot 200, which I preferred over my 7MD crumpler and shoulder bags.
Personally, I can access to my gears on my slingshot very easily, and I felt very safe as I know my bag will not accidentally fall to the ground together with my gears. (as it is a backpack).

You can try Cathay Photo @ Peninsula to see the range.
They might not be the cheapest thou, so if you are a bargain hunter...look around again.

he is not eliminating an entire company, i think he is just stating his preference. domke bags do look a lot better than lowpro, albeit less practical

in my opinion, i like bags which look nice too, i hate those squarish looking ones from lowepro and other brands..they are just plain ugly.BUT they are definitely the most usable ones as well. they are the ones which can cushion your gear the best and can store lots of stuff in a nice and organised manner. for me, i just don't like them. as for backpacks, i think they are trouble some in a sense cause i can't imagine bringing a big backpack out all the time once i need to bring my camera out. i guess you can get the small ones such as the fastpacks, i was looking at those. but the idea of carrying a backpack around (super not good looking cause it is nerdy looking) irks me. so i like to go for looks.

adding on, i think that your camera bag will always change. you tend to 'outgrow' them when you expand your system. for example, when you have two lenses, a body and a flash, you wouldn't want to buy a huge bag to put them inside cause you will be carrying a lot of 'fluff', all padding but no equipment. so you will keep changing as you go on. get one and use first lor, then see how next time, don't think so much. anyway, one small camera bag can go for 20 bucks no sweat.haha.

btw, fastpack 100 in blue, i saw at CP penn for only 70+ bucks. looks like a very good price for me

Status
Not open for further replies.